Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383
Cool End Zone Catch/Kick

My wife and kids were watching some college ball tonight and while watching the game I had a great idea (at least it was to me).

How cool would it be if the NFL changed the rules and made an end zone catch or touch back to be taken to the 10 yard line instead of the 20 yard line. I think this would increase the difficulty of the game and make it a lot more interesting. Does anyone else agree with me that this would be a neat change to the rules and the game of football?
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: End Zone Catch/Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
My wife and kids were watching some college ball tonight and while watching the game I had a great idea (at least it was to me).

How cool would it be if the NFL changed the rules and made an end zone catch or touch back to be taken to the 10 yard line instead of the 20 yard line. I think this would increase the difficulty of the game and make it a lot more interesting. Does anyone else agree with me that this would be a neat change to the rules and the game of football?
NFL wants high scores. This is the opposite of that. In fact, if they did this, I seriously doubt you would ever see another knee taken in the endzone again. Any idiot can run a kickoff out past the 10. Would be kind of irrelevant.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
ChristianKustomz
Starter

That's my point exactly. That would make for an always fun punt return/kick off. I think it would add an entirely different aspect and dimension to the game...though I agree it would probably make high scoring games more difficult.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,138 Times in 542 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Eh, I think it's pretty good where it's at with the 20. Backing teams up to the 10 would really change the whole game, not necessarily for the better. A 3-and-out gives the other team fantastic field position and makes it too easy for them to score.

The 20 seems like a perfect medium to me; far enough away that it's still a challenge to score, but close enough that it's not too easy for the other team to force a three-and-out and wind up 10 yards from a field goal.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
That's my point exactly. That would make for an always fun punt return/kick off. I think it would add an entirely different aspect and dimension to the game...though I agree it would probably make high scoring games more difficult.
The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous. Why would they want to then encourage more returns?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstorm05 For This Useful Post:
teegre (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,796 Times in 6,070 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous. Why would they want to then encourage more returns?
especially when that could be used against the NFL in future lawsuits regarding player safety...
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,625 Times in 10,390 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
The reason the NFL moved kickoffs up was so there would be less returns. They seem to feel those are dangerous.
That is EXACTLY why the kick-offs were moved forward. Most collisions occur on kick-offs.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Sooner or later kickoffs will be eliminated altogether. The writing is on the wall. Belichick even mentioned that was the future plans of the NFL.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Ugh. I can't even imagine nor would I want to imagine a football game without a kick off. That would be horrible.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

They made kickoffs boring as hell now. TD, Extra Point. Commercials, kickoff, touchback, commercials. Games have gone from three hours to four hours + over the span of two seasons. They obviously should just move it back, but I won't miss the kickoffs that much under our current system. Though, A lot of players will be missing opportunities to prove themselves in spec. teams. The league is going south superfast, and the excuse of player safety is obviously a bullshit lie. Imagine where we'll be in five years......