Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703
Default ESPN radio "hating" on Ben

I was listening to "the herd" this morning and they were discussing that silly article in which they ranked the QB's by their decision making ability. There was a thread about this article up yesterday I believe. Of course they had Ben ranked as the #3 worst decision maker in the NFL. They went on to say that Ben had played poorly in the playoffs and that he was basically not very good. That his job was simply "not to lose" games. I'm so sick of this broken record statement about Steeler QB's. Our last few QB's jobs have ben "not to lose" because that's all they were capable of. Now that we have a QB who is actually capable of taking over a game and carrying a team/franchise on his back, that philosophy no longer applies. You would think that they might take into account the fact that Ben was in his first and second years respectively or that his reads, etc. might improve with age and experience. But, no, they claimed all of his success was due to a sound running game and a stellar D. I know this is an old argument and I don't mean to harp on it, but it was jaw-dropingly stupid to listen to. I was just wondering if anyone else heard it and your thoughts.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302
Default Re: ESPN radio "hating" on Ben

I stopped listening to ESPN radio after the first few post-Super Bowl days had past. The Herd, in particular, is a show for people who like that Jim Rome "let's pour gas on this MFer and see how hot it'll burn" type of host. It's a ratings ploy, really, but you are in luck. You don't have to listen to that garbage.

Get Sirius and listen to NFL radio. Nuff said.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Ben did not have a good game during the Super Bowl. He made a few great plays but that was it. He wasn't consistent.

However... During the rest of the playoffs, he did very well. Those guys are just stirring up something to talk about. Ignore them.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

I love it when people talk bad about my QB. Cause I know it adds to the chip on shoulder and his need to prove everyone wrong!
I think we should ask Denver's secondary if Ben had a good game or not in the AFCCG. Or maybe we could get a little insight from the guys on the Colts and see what they say. I'm sure Nick Harper has some thoughts.
And really do you want Ben loved like the Mannings, Brady's or Palmers's of the world. I dont know how Ben would do if someone at ESPN expected that of him?

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
I love it when people talk bad about my QB. Cause I know it adds to the chip on shoulder and his need to prove everyone wrong!
I think we should ask Denver's secondary if Ben had a good game or not in the AFCCG. Or maybe we could get a little insight from the guys on the Colts and see what they say. I'm sure Nick Harper has some thoughts.
And really do you want Ben loved like the Mannings, Brady's or Palmers's of the world. I dont know how Ben would do if someone at ESPN expected that of him?
I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility to say that Ben will not only be as good as those guys, but better. That's the thing that irks me. His stats up to this point in so many categories are unlike any we've ever seen. Important stats like WINNING! In this way he has a chance to be the best this game has ever seen. Nobody has ever done what he has up to this point. Yes it's true that he's had a few shaky games here and there but I think it's important to remember at what point these games are taking place in his young career and be in awe that he's even in a position the have a shaky AFCCG in year ONE or a quirky SB in year TWO! At some point someone besides Steeler fans have to stand up and take notice. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing I guess it doesn't really matter but I just think we're witnessing something special in Steelers history and I hope more people take notice.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Folks, this is just another reason why I tuned out ESPN long ago, except for their NFL pregame show. I even heard from my mom earlier this evening that some ESPN "analyst" thinks the Steelers will only have an 8-8 season, because "the division is tougher" and that Ben isn't going to recover from the accident. WTF??? I swear to God, they hire the biggest, dumbest assclowns in the country, and then try to call themselves "the worldwide leader." The world wide leader of what? Incompetence? Their opinions aren't worth enough to wipe the sweat off my balls.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Again, Ffffffft. When you don't lose, you.... win.

ESPN radio, 43 minutes of commercials, 10 minutes of scores and 7 minutes of crap every hour, with a break every few days for 8 seconds of insight.

They don't watch every Steeler game; they read the 2 paragraph recaps in USA Today. 4 months from now they'll be pretending that they never said anything like that, ever.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratsinmybelly
They went on to say that Ben had played poorly in the playoffs and that he was basically not very good. That his job was simply "not to lose" games. I'm so sick of this broken record statement about Steeler QB's. Our last few QB's jobs have ben "not to lose" because that's all they were capable of.

these guys just like to hear themselves talk. Okay if you want to say he played pooly against the bengals, colts and Denver then the guy making the comments better have a seeing eye dog sitting next to him becuase he's blind. Against the Bungles ben had 208 passing yards, against the Colts he had 197 passing yards and against the Broncos he REALLY sucked with 275 passing yards. I say we get rid of BEN like YESTERDAY off with his head!

Ben lit it up in the first half of all three of those games all you gotta do is if your not blind like the ESPN guy obviously is - is put in your DVD and watch, in the second half the coaches turned it over to the running game.

I'm sure I speak for all steeler fans when Ben came out winging the ball around in the first half of all those playoff games, I was like "who are these guys??" it was so un-Steeler like.

Agreed that Ben didn't play well vs the Seahags he was 9 for 21 for 123 yards. But then again look at Bradshaw stats vs the Vikings in Super Bowel X. Bradshaw was 14-9 for 96 yards and 1 TD. Screw the talking heads. Ben is one of the many reasons why we did get to the SB and I mean in the last 3 years he's what 24 and 4 or 27 and 4 as a starter, something supid like that. Sounds like a lot of bad decision makings to me eh?

Last I looked the whole team got their SB rings in June including Ben.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
Folks, this is just another reason why I tuned out ESPN long ago, except for their NFL pregame show. I even heard from my mom earlier this evening that some ESPN "analyst" thinks the Steelers will only have an 8-8 season, because "the division is tougher" and that Ben isn't going to recover from the accident. WTF??? I swear to God, they hire the biggest, dumbest assclowns in the country, and then try to call themselves "the worldwide leader." The world wide leader of what? Incompetence? Their opinions aren't worth enough to wipe the sweat off my balls.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

I like it when analyst doubt the Steelers, because i feel it gives the Steelers a bigger chip on there shoulder. Give a few games and these same idiots will be back on the bandwagon scrambling for a seat. IMHO
Most teams are the epitome of weakness//when Ben drops back loud talkers become speechless//welcome to the "Burgh" will show you where the beef is//come to Heinz field and LeBeau will show you where the heat is.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote