Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,027 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Time to start the Brian Hoyer era in Pittsburgh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Batch = makes good reads; can't get the ball there (no arm)

Hoyer = great arm; can he make the correct reads?

Pick your poison.

[Hopefully, the RBs will stop fumbling, so that WHOMEVER the QB happens to be, the Steelers can just hand off 25-30 times.]
I'll take the better arm and lack of experience over no arm and years of experience.
The better arm can make a good throw occasionally.
No arm, no good throws......we saw that today.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

Batch looked okay in the second half, but he doesn't have the arm to throw deep or hit a deep out. Wallace did him absolutely no favors though. Granted the tipped pass was behind Wallace and tough, but he made no effort on the deep throw that got picked or the one that hit the Browns' player's helmet.

I was calling for Hoyer in the first half, but Charlie's throws looked good enough in the second half where I still think he's a better option than someone that doesn't know the playbook.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

I think that with that timid offensive game plan that the Steelers came up with, they were far too predictable and easy to defend. Charlie's weak arm didn't help, but neither did Haley. Everyone and their mother knew that the Steelers were going to run the football, a little more play action would have probably helped. But then again, with the way Charlie was throwing, maybe not.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Hoyer ERA? LOL

thats as laughable as the Offense we had on the field today. Has Tomlin taken all the responsibility yet?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #25
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

We need to send Ben to see Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid, so he can get healed real quick.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

At this point we need someone with an arm more than someone who can read the defense but not get the ball there. The playbook can be dumbed down. It was tailored for Leftwich and Batch, it can be tailored for a rookie off the practice squad. Ask the offense for a touchdown and two FGs and let the defense win it from there. If the ravens defense never has to leave the box they can stand the running backs up, gang tackle and strip the ball all day. None of the RBs are healthy as it is. How long will they will be able to go against the dirtiest defense in league with no chance of a throw past the flat?
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
dpc13
Water Boy

Member Number: 15222

Hoyer should have been in to heave a bomb at the end . How many plays do you have to memorize to do that ?
dpc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpc13 For This Useful Post:
Corey120120 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Batch played as well as he could given the extremely short amount of time that was given to him to prepare. He had historically won more games as a Steeler in the starting QB position than lost - and even after today, that still stands. I felt as though he was beginning to warm up - but hell, this is an offense that has played with three different QBs in three weeks. Batch wasn't supposed to be carrying the load of the offense - our run game should have allowed Batch to keep it simple and efficient - but that's not going to happen when you have every single rusher dropping the ball.

This disrespect towards him is not unexpected given the result of the game - but there is a hell of a lot of blame to go around, and considering the circumstances, Batch probably did enough to have won...had the rest of our offense had likewise gotten their shit together.
Selia25 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

It is becoming increasingly clear though that - at least this season - Ben is the elite QB that I always knew him to be. Our offense is not at its best right now - with or without Ben (read: Wallace...fumbles, dropped balls and numerous injuries) - but it's pretty evident that this team lives and dies by Number 7. Its just incredible just how much of a difference he brings to the game.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
It is becoming increasingly clear though that - at least this season - Ben is the elite QB that I always knew him to be. Our offense is not at its best right now - with or without Ben (read: Wallace...fumbles, dropped balls and numerous injuries) - but it's pretty evident that this team lives and dies by Number 7. Its just incredible just how much of a difference he brings to the game.
While I have been critical of BR in the past, this is not that, but the problem is not just how good Ben is, it's that our backups are that bad. Leftwich didn't take two snaps before sustaining what should have been a game ending injury last week, and Charlie, who didn't have a strong arm to start with, has lost what he had. Whoever made the decision to keep Leftwich and Batch as backups did us no favors.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote