Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
Default Re: Time to start the Brian Hoyer era in Pittsburgh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
While I have been critical of BR in the past, this is not that, but the problem is not just how good Ben is, it's that our backups are that bad. Leftwich didn't take two snaps before sustaining what should have been a game ending injury last week, and Charlie, who didn't have a strong arm to start with, has lost what he had. Whoever made the decision to keep Leftwich and Batch as backups did us no favors.
While I like Lefty and Batch and respect both of them - I agree with you in part. I still think Ben is a large part of this team's success since he became our starter.

But, yeah - it's as if the Steelers have begun to simply take Ben for granted - like, he'll either end up being okay and making big plays (as risky as they usually are) and assume that he's always going to be on the field and play well (even when he's deplorably injured, evidently - look at last season). That sort of mentality is a gamble in and of itself.

But I also think another part of the problem goes beyond the backup QBs. There's also this mentality, I believe, that this team can still win on defense alone and thatif the offense isn't up to par, the steel curtain will ride in like knights in shining armor to save the day.

The reason for that is, well - because, for quite some time, that USED to be true. Yes, the Steelers D is ranked #1 - but it only looks good on paper. The D is playing well enough to win with a GOOD QB in place, but not making enough game changing plays (like the opening pick 6) to save the day. We definitely need more of those pick-6s, forced fumbles and the like if we're going to win with aging and beat up QBs.we have.

For that reason, the organization has likely skimped on the backup QBs. But times are changing. The D is good - but it's time to seriously reconsider this idea that we can somehow eek out a win regardless of who's playing, you know?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
Batch played as well as he could given the extremely short amount of time that was given to him to prepare. He had historically won more games as a Steeler in the starting QB position than lost - and even after today, that still stands. I felt as though he was beginning to warm up - but hell, this is an offense that has played with three different QBs in three weeks. Batch wasn't supposed to be carrying the load of the offense - our run game should have allowed Batch to keep it simple and efficient - but that's not going to happen when you have every single rusher dropping the ball.

This disrespect towards him is not unexpected given the result of the game - but there is a hell of a lot of blame to go around, and considering the circumstances, Batch probably did enough to have won...had the rest of our offense had likewise gotten their shit together.
Short amount of time to prepare? Hes a backup, he should know the offense as well as the starter!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
Short amount of time to prepare? Hes a backup, he should know the offense as well as the starter!
I remember reading an article about the way Tomlin manages his players during the season - and one of the things that struck me as risky is the fact that the backups don't participate - they don't get any snaps. They sit and watch. Unless, that is...they have to, one week before a game.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

Batch definitely can't make the throws anymore. He's not the guy I thought he was. Mind you, no was is the loss this week on Charlie Batch. There's no force on earth that can make up for that kind of terrible ball security. There's no shame in this for Batch, it's just that his time is over. If Roethlisberger can't go (and that's up in the air right now), they just can't go with Batch. Even if you cut down the playbook, a guy who can make any throw is a better choice than a guy whose arm can't get it out past 30 yards. Especially when you know that the Ravens D seems to be back, and they'll be coming hard.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,190 Times in 8,096 Posts
My Mood: Dead

It sounds like most people would prefer to go with Hoyer over Batch.

In that case, let me caution that Hoyer might make a few picks (see: Ryan Lindley & Nick Foles)... but, then again, Batch threw three picks (Hoyer couldn't be any worse).

COACHES: Haley now knows that Batch can NOT throw deep, and thus, Haley might adjust his gameplan accordingly. But, Haley could also "dumb down" the offense for Hoyer... and use the team 's current, best weapon: deep to Wallace (which Batch can't take advantage of).

Lastly, there's no "tape" on Hoyer, and so, for two or three games, he might have an edge on defenses... and, in turn, be just good enough to put up a TD, while handing off a lot (17-21 points).

I'm going back & forth... there are cons to each of these QBs. Hmmm...

[NOTE: It won't matter who the QB is, if the RBs can't hold onto the ball.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
While I like Lefty and Batch and respect both of them - I agree with you in part. I still think Ben is a large part of this team's success since he became our starter.

But, yeah - it's as if the Steelers have begun to simply take Ben for granted - like, he'll either end up being okay and making big plays (as risky as they usually are) and assume that he's always going to be on the field and play well (even when he's deplorably injured, evidently - look at last season). That sort of mentality is a gamble in and of itself.

But I also think another part of the problem goes beyond the backup QBs. There's also this mentality, I believe, that this team can still win on defense alone and thatif the offense isn't up to par, the steel curtain will ride in like knights in shining armor to save the day.

The reason for that is, well - because, for quite some time, that USED to be true. Yes, the Steelers D is ranked #1 - but it only looks good on paper. The D is playing well enough to win with a GOOD QB in place, but not making enough game changing plays (like the opening pick 6) to save the day. We definitely need more of those pick-6s, forced fumbles and the like if we're going to win with aging and beat up QBs.we have.

For that reason, the organization has likely skimped on the backup QBs. But times are changing. The D is good - but it's time to seriously reconsider this idea that we can somehow eek out a win regardless of who's playing, you know?
But even I saw exactly this coming, except that I hoped Ben would be able to go uninjured in the new offense. The D is still great, but they were superhuman, and you can't have that for very long. Leftwich is an injury waiting for a field to occur on. So it only made sense that if Ben did go out we would be in trouble without at least a serviceable backup, and we don't have that. Add to that that none of the running backs look healthy.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #37
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

They're going to have to go deep. Remember, the Ravens are putting up 37 points per game at home. Sure, that's not against the Steeler D, but if the Steelers can't put up 21-24 points, they have no chance next week.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
I remember reading an article about the way Tomlin manages his players during the season - and one of the things that struck me as risky is the fact that the backups don't participate - they don't get any snaps. They sit and watch. Unless, that is...they have to, one week before a game.
I wish you hadn't posted that. I already don't think he's a good coach. If this is true I haven't been anywhere near critical enough of him.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Hoyer is not a rookie for those of you not in the know. He has been Tom Brady's backup for the past 3 years and has played pretty darn good in what little time he has been out there. Batch should have retired two years ago or been released. Leftwich has never been consistent enough to be a good QB.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Hoyer is not a rookie for those of you not in the know. He has been Tom Brady's backup for the past 3 years and has played pretty darn good in what little time he has been out there. Batch should have retired two years ago or been released. Leftwich has never been consistent enough to be a good QB.
I wouldn't get too high on somebody because of success in the Patriots system. Matt Cassell and all that.