Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default Why do we cycle so many running backs?

Has there ever been a successful team that cycles running backs the way we do? I understand every back on our team had a bad day, but why can't we just pick a starter and stick with him? How is any back going to get into a groove if they are constantly coming in and out of the game?

Last edited by Terminator; 11-25-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: Why do we cycle so many running backs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Has there ever been a successful team that cycles running backs the way we do? I understand every back on our team had a bad day, but why can't we just pick a starter and stick with him? How is any back going to get into a groove if they are constantly coming in and out of the game?
To answer the thread title - because Tomlin wanted to punish them all for fumbling. It's like kindergarten for the Steelers RBs! Time out for being bad.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
uclkyle
Water Boy

Member Number: 17560

Thats a good question and I agree. They should pick a guy (or even two) and go with him. I honestly think Tomlin doesn't know who to go with. Mendy just hasn't panned out. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's probably the most talented, but lacks something (mostly consistently). Redman is a loser and may be gone. Dwyer runs really hard and has good vision, but lacks any sort of speed. I really don't think they know who to go with.
uclkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,391 Times in 8,510 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
Thats a good question and I agree. They should pick a guy (or even two) and go with him. I honestly think Tomlin doesn't know who to go with. Mendy just hasn't panned out. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's probably the most talented, but lacks something (mostly consistently). Redman is a loser and may be gone. Dwyer runs really hard and has good vision, but lacks any sort of speed. I really don't think they know who to go with.
That's easy: go with the RB who is not fumbling.

Oh...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,950 Times in 3,404 Posts

so many people say tomlin runs an undisciplined team, is a players coach, no accountability, doesnt back up his words, .

thats obviously not true.

that, and every runningback has been significantly injured this season except for barron batch and his misreead cost us a likely win in tennessee.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

The problem is we don't have a good RB to use as a workhorse. Dwyer is the best when he's in but he gets gassed and has to be spelled. Mendenhall and Redman have the endurance but rarely seem to do anything at all. Rainey has some good runs but he's too small to be pounded for an entire game.

Mendenhall is by far the most physically capable but he proves time and time again we are just wasting our time giving him the ball. Sad because there was a time before last season where I would have given the complete opposite argument. But he's had his chances.

I agree letting one guy handle most of the carries is the best way to go, but right now it's either give a guy 15+ carries who isn't likely to do anything with them, or spread the wealth and get the guys who can do something with the ball into the game for the few carries they are physically capable of handling. Pick your poison.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Redman and Dwyer have shown enough to stay in the picture, but Mendenhall should be out of chances. As a former #1 pick, it's natural that they gave him every opportunity. But at this point the writing really should be on the wall.

Hopefully this is the last season we need to watch him hesitating and fumbling. And twittering crap about 9/11 inside jobs and the NFL being like slave owners.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,014 Times in 424 Posts

Mendenhall is in the last season of his rookie contract. I honestly don't think he's done anything to earn another one.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil-Still-Rules-14 For This Useful Post:
TheVet (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The real question is why do we keep trotting out Mendenhall. He is the Mike Wallace of the RB's, and like Mike Wallace, it's time be packed his bags and left.

I have no issue cycling out Redman and Dwyer. They've been playing decently, but as soon as Fumblehall is back in the mix, they're back on the bench.

Last edited by Edman; 11-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,915 Times in 1,895 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The real question is why do we keep trotting out Mendenhall. He is the Mike Wallace of the RB's, and like Mike Wallace, it's time be packed his bags and left.

I have no issue cycling out Redman and Dwyer. They've been playing decently, but as soon as Fumblehall is back in the mix, they're back on the bench.
After the Giants game, we were all so psyched about our stable. Nice to see Mendy really wants to help improve the group's rep even more. Did Bruce come in and run practice for the RBs for a week? AKA - the RBs never got a rep all week long and "well if they woulda shown me dey can handle it toe I give em twittly more de touches derp de poo."

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote