Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default Troy Polamalu returns to practice

Troy Polamalu returns to Pittsburgh Steelers practice

By Kareem Copeland
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 23, 2012 at 03:37 p.m. Updated: Nov. 23, 2012 at 04:31 p.m.

Troy Polamalu practiced with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the first time in seven weeks Friday, The Associated Press reported.

A strained right calf has limited the seven-time Pro Bowl safety to just five quarters of playing time this season.

"It was a Thanksgiving-Christmas gift to see him out there," Steelers cornerback Will Allen said, via The AP.

The Steelers listed Polamalu as limited in practice and doubtful for Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns. But if anyone can go straight to the field without much practice, it's the former NFL defensive most valuable player.

The Steelers honestly don't need much help against the Browns and their 20th-ranked pass offense. But they'll need Polamalu in their Week 13 rematch with the Baltimore Ravens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...elers-practice
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Troy Polamalu returns to practice

Rest him this Sunday then see if hes a go for Ravens.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,040 Posts

I would rather Troy not re-injure himself against the Browns...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Keep him out till Baltimore. Thats gotta be there thinking too.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

I'd rather see him play at least a little bit against Cleveland to knock any rust off.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I would rather Troy not re-injure himself against the Browns...
Yeah.

Let's at least wait until the first quarter of the Ravens game.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,040 Posts

Allen’s play strong for Steelers

By F. Dale Lolley
published nov 23, 2012

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers welcomed a familiar face back to the field Friday as All-Pro strong safety Troy Polamalu took part in a practice for the first time since suffering a torn calf muscle in a win over Philadelphia Oct. 7.

When the Steelers (6-4) take the field Sunday at Cleveland (2-8), it will likely still be veteran Will Allen lining up at strong safety instead of Polamalu – for at least one more week. Despite practicing, Polamalu is doubtful to play.

The 30-year-old Allen has helped solidify the Steelers defense in Polamalu’s absence.

In their first four games with Polamalu playing just a game and a quarter and Ryan Mundy replacing him at safety, the Steelers allowed 22.2 points per game.

In their past six with Allen starting, the Steelers have given up an average of 16.6 points, allowing more than 20 points only once, as they have risen to their normal spot at the top of the NFL’s defensive rankings. The Steelers are giving up an NFL-low 259.1 yards per game.

“He plays hard,” said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. “He has continued to be productive on special teams. He is just a really solid veteran, and professional who can go in there, get the job done and let your defense function. He has definitely done a good job.”

In his first extended playing time since joining the Steelers as a free agent in 2010 from Tampa Bay, Allen has recorded 25 tackles and defended five passes. He’s not been the disruptive force that Polamalu has been throughout his career, but Allen has given the Steelers a boost.

“I’m starting to understand what guys need and what is expected of me,” said Allen, who hadn’t started since 2006 with Tampa Bay. “I’m having a lot of fun running around hitting guys.”

Though everyone knows there’s no true replacement for Polamalu.

“I don’t think you should compare anybody to Polamalu,” said LeBeau. “In my mind, he is as different as any safety I have ever seen. He can do everything. Allen has the speed and tenacity that Polamalu has. Allen has gotten to a ton of footballs and has played very well. I think Allen has his own style of play. You’ve all seen that it’s very productive and effective.”

In addition to Polamalu, the Steelers got some good news with Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown.

Brown, who has not played since spraining an ankle three weeks ago against the Giants, returned to practice Friday and is questionable to play against the Browns.

Odds and end zones

Running back Isaac Redman passed all his concussion tests and has been cleared to play against the Browns. Quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) and Byron Leftwich (ribs) are out, as are offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) and wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs). Allen (shoulder) defensive end Ziggy Hood (back), guard Willie Colon (knee) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) are probable.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/art...9#.ULBD9c2aLO8
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
nj1923steelgirl
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24521

Thank you....I will be so happy to see Troy when we play the Ravens!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I know everybody is excited to have him back as soon as he's healthy, I'm one of the few that am not sure if he should start right away. This defense is DOMINATING, the Ravens and the Giants have great offenses and we shut them down. Troy has clearly dropped off but I still think he's one of the best SS in the game. I just don't know if we should f*** up the chemistry going into Baltimore. First off, the defense was as good as it's going to get vs Baltimore. The defense held Baltimore's offense to 6 points even though they got a relatively short field twice. I'm not convinced that having Troy would have made that defense any better, because how much better could it have been? Troy no longer makes the big plays, but he's still a great all around safety, but he hasn't played much and I'm not sure if his first game back after a lingering injury should be in Baltimore. I agree that it would be rushing him into Cleveland, but if he doesn't play in Cleveland, then I don't like the idea of starting him against Baltimore. IMO our offense will be inconsistent with Ben back in Baltimore, so we need the defense to play lights out again. While I'm confident Troy will make us better, I'm just not very confident that he will make us better IN BALTIMORE after a long time on the bench.

IMO you bring him in to mix it up on certain plays in Baltimore. Use him as a mental weapon, but still play Allen on most plays. Then start him when SD comes to town. It gives him a bit more time to heal, it will give him some play time without having to shoulder the load, and it will allow us to at least rely on our defense in Baltimore.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Bigsteely
Water Boy

Member Number: 24497

Could have been a lot better playing Bmore, the defense could have held them to no points and Steelers would have won 7-10
Bigsteely is offline   Reply With Quote