Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Lukin83
Water Boy

Member Number: 2692
Arrow 8/10 Steelers Practice Report

8/10 Steelers Practice Report
Luke Nicholson
8/10/2006

The Steelers entertained another impressive audience today at St. Vincent College. The sun hid behind a thick layer of clouds for the majority of the afternoon, providing for comfortable practice conditions. My pictures from the afternoon can be viewed HERE.

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger was on top of his game this afternoon, putting nearly every pass on the money. The only off-target ball I saw him toss was an overthrow intended for Santonio Holmes deep down the sideline. Charlie Batch also had a good practice, but was throwing a little high, hanging his receivers out to dry. Omar Jacobs struggled a bit, throwing an endzone interception in 11-on-11 drills. Shane Boyd once again showcased his mobility and reminded me a bit of Quincy Carter. He showed an uncanny sense of where the pass rush was at all times, running only when necessary. When he did take off scrambling, he always gained significant yardage. Boyd led the team in the one-minute drill, which is detailed below.

Runningbacks

Willie Parker looked like a gazelle out there, darting through the offensive line and cutting through the defense. Duce Staley and Verron Haynes also showcased their abilities to run and catch the pigskin. Cedric Humes fumbled the ball in the 11-on-11 drill, but otherwise had a mundane practice. John Kuhn looked impressive in his work both at fullback and halfback. He ran as the second team fullback, as well as the fifth team halfback.

Wide Receivers

One guy really stood out today: Santonio Holmes. Holmes made acrobatic catch after acrobatic catch, looking particularly impressive in a drill that pitted the receivers against the defensive backs in the red zone. Holmes showed a natural ability to leap, extend, and dive for any ball within reach, hauling in everything that came near him. On one play, he caught a short pass and juked around Bryant McFadden, making the second year corner look foolish. Hines Ward once again did not practice, but got acquainted with the JUGS machine and did some jogging. Quincy Morgan also looked good in practice today, catching some off target balls and finishing plays hard. Willie Reid made several impressive catches, including a grab on a deep crossing route and a diving reception on a slant. Sean Morey was involved in the only trick play of the day, a reverse, where Morey carried the ball around the left side of the line. Walter Young dropped a couple of passes, causing one fan to comment, ?Being tall doesn?t do you any good, if you can?t catch the ball.?

Tight Ends

Heath Miller, Charles Davis, Jonathan Dekker, and Isaac Smolko all looked good today, catching a plethora of balls and hitting their blocking assignments.

Offensive Line

Marvin Philip got in some extra work with Omar Jacobs and Shane Boyd before practice. At the same time, Marvel Smith worked on coming out of his stance. Russ Grimm seemed a little frustrated with the footwork of Nick Hagemann, Ulish Booker, and Brandon Torrey during drills.

Defensive Line

Chris Hoke got in some extra work with Marvin Philip prior to practice. Travis Kirschke did not practice. Shaun Nua took some repetitions at defensive tackle in formations with fourlinemen. The second team defense took on the first team offense in a drill and Lee Vickers looked impressive matching up against Marvel Smith. Orien Harris also came away with a sack in the one-minute drill.

Linebackers

Larry Foote dropped an interception in 11-on-11 drills. There is little else to report on the backers.

Defensive Backs

Chidi Iwuoma returned an Omar Jacobs interception from his own endzone for a touchdown. Ryan Clark started at safety, opposite Troy Polamalu. The receivers seemed to be one step ahead of the defenders today, as there was a lack of significant plays for the defensive backs. Anthony Smith came on a safety blitz in 11-on-11 drills and likely would have sacked Charlie Batch on the play.

Special Teams

Jeff Reed booted a successful field goal from about 50 yards.

One-Minute Drill

Shane Boyd led the offense in a quick installment of the one-minute drill at the end of practice. He began by hitting Sean Morey with a short pass underneath, followed by a handoff to Cedric Humes up the middle. Humes picked up enough yardage on his carry to move the chaines. Walter Young dropped the next pass, which would have easily been good for about 20 yards. Boyd came right back to him though, connecting on a nine yard strike. On third down, however, Orien Harris got to Boyd in the backfield for a sack, bringing up fourth down. On the crucial play, Shane Boyd dropped back to pass and, feeling the pass rush around him, brought the ball down and took off, securing a first down. Boyd quickly stopped the clock with a spike. Lee Mays then hauled in a short pass on the outside, but was wrapped up before he could reach the sideline. Another spike by Boyd stopped the clock with the offense in position for a long field goal.

Luke?s Updated Projected 53-Man Roster

QB1 Ben Roethlisberger
QB2 Charlie Batch
QB3 Omar Jacobs
RB1 Willie Parker
RB2 Duce Staley
RB3 Verron Haynes
RB4 Cedric Humes
FB1 Dan Kreider
WR1 Hines Ward
WR2 Cedrick Wilson
WR3 Santonio Holmes
WR4 Nate Washington
WR5 Willie Reid
WR6 Sean Morey
TE1 Heath Miller
TE2 Jerame Tuman
TE3 Charles Davis
OT1 Marvel Smith
OT2 Max Starks
OT3 Trai Essex
OT4 Willie Colon
OG1 Alan Faneca
OG2 Kendall Simmons
OG3 Chris Kemoeatu
C1 Jeff Hartings
C2 Marvin Philip
DE1 Aaron Smith
DE2 Brett Keisel
DE3 Travis Kirschke
DE4 Orien Harris
DT1 Casey Hampton
DT2 Chris Hoke
OLB1 Joey Porter
OLB2 Clark Haggans
OLB3 James Harrison
OLB4 Andre Frazier
ILB1 James Farrior
ILB2 Larry Foote
ILB3 Clint Kriewaldt
ILB4 Rian Wallace
CB1 Ike Taylor
CB2 Bryant McFadden
CB3 DeShea Townsend
CB4 Ricardo Colclough
CB5 Chidi Iwuoma
FS1 Tyrone Carter
FS2 Ryan Clark
FS3 Anthony Smith
SS1 Troy Polamalu
SS2 Mike Logan
K1 Jeff Reed
P1 Chris Gardocki
LS1 Greg Warren

Practice Squad: QB Shane Boyd, FB John Kuhn, TE Jonathan Dekker, OG Tim Brown, DE Shaun Nua, DE Lee Vickers, LB Richard Seigler, CB Anthony Madison

http://www.fflivewire.com/article.as...dy3263dzf4290c
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default Re: 8/10 Steelers Practice Report

Nua didn't last on the PS last year, as the Redskins tried to sign him away. I'd more expect Orien Harris to be on there until someone tries to sign him away.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

thanks for the update...I work over in the Experience area so I can kinda hear the cheers from the crowd every once in awhile but I can't see what's going on. and I'm glad you posted some pictures of Heath...every day before practice I see all the guys walking from the dorms to the locker room and I haven't seen #83 in a couple days. I was starting to think he was on vacation or something haha jk of course, but I'm glad to hear he's practicing well
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Why isn't Quince staying on the roster? Is he the odd man outr so that morey can stay
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Lukin83
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WySilv
Why isn't Quince staying on the roster? Is he the odd man outr so that morey can stay
Typically, the Steelers only keep 5 receivers on the roster. With Ward, Wilson, Washington, Holmes, and Reid locks, I'm not even sure Morey makes the cut. I like Morgan and Morey both, but when you are talking about a sixth receiver, he better have some other use to the team. Morgan is a heck of a return man, but it looks like Reid and Holmes are stealing that job. Morey is a special teams ace, and I have to assume he retains that job.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Lukin83
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melroseplace
thanks for the update...I work over in the Experience area so I can kinda hear the cheers from the crowd every once in awhile but I can't see what's going on. and I'm glad you posted some pictures of Heath...every day before practice I see all the guys walking from the dorms to the locker room and I haven't seen #83 in a couple days. I was starting to think he was on vacation or something haha jk of course, but I'm glad to hear he's practicing well
This will be my last update until the 21st, as I'll be out of town. I do have a field pass for the 21st though, so look for some detailed pictures and a top notch report.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin83
This will be my last update until the 21st, as I'll be out of town. I do have a field pass for the 21st though, so look for some detailed pictures and a top notch report.
all your reports have been top notch. much appreciated!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

I'm Glad to see Omar finally coming around. There had been some talk about him struggling, but his drive sounds impressive on paper for the 1 minute drill. This weekend will defnitely show what he's made of because I'm sure he'll get a lot of time.

Thanks for the updates!
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Thanks for the update and great pics.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote