Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Players and coaches gone next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lets take a look at all the players gone from last game-

ben
troy
colon
antonio
woodley

sounds like a winning formula to me! (pretty long list of pro bowl calibur players).
Don't forget we were down to our 3rd string RT, a rookie 7th round pick. Any other team has those injuries and commits 8 turnovers to 1, they lose by several scores, even to Cleveland.

Not sure this team can get healthy in time to make a playoff run, but if they do, nobody will want to play them.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
teegre (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
tunch and wolf noted yesterday during the broadcast that the old james harrison is "back", getting push on his man and when engaged is bending them back rather than getting pushed 2 yards off the ball. he's gained his leverage which means the knee and back are finally back to his standards (considering age of course). he was stuffing trent richardson. 6 weeks ago, richardson woulda got atleast 2-3 yds on those stops for losses.

doesnt mean james will return, but it certainly suggests rumors of his demise were premature.
Yes, I would be hard pressed to let Harrison walk with no apparent replacement on the roster. Worilds played a decent game Sunday, but I can remember several monster efforts by JH in 2004, 2005, 2006 in relief where you could just see a superstar waiting to break out. In fact, he should have been on the field in 2006.

Anyway, this article spells out what may need to happen to sign Wallace. I say, use that money elsewhere, like on another Farrior-type LB to replace Foote, or Ray Seals type DL.

Either way, we could be seeing a much different Steeler defense next year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...cap-situation/
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #23
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland2110 View Post
Defense is predictable. Like being the number 1 ranked D in the league again? 4 offensive TD's in the last 4 games... ya./

Defense has been Super Bowl quality the last 4 games. Its not the problem.
The defense has been very good, but our Super Bowl defenses all had something in common - they took the ball away with alacrity.

Until this one starts doing this, they remain in the very good, not great, category.
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
Terminator (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,909 Times in 8,691 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Don't forget we were down to our 3rd string RT, a rookie 7th round pick. Any other team has those injuries and commits 8 turnovers to 1, they lose by several scores, even to Cleveland.

Not sure this team can get healthy in time to make a playoff run, but if they do, nobody will want to play them.
Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,946 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Defense is predictable. Like being the number 1 ranked D in the league again? 4 offensive TD's in the last 4 games... ya./

This. This defense, plus roster that won @ Giants, heading into KC game can win us #7. Have to hope to at least have Ben, AB, Colon all healthy with everyone staying on the field

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #26
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:

They were not Super Bowl quality at the beginning of the year - the Steelers Defense was giving up around the middle of the third quarter. blowing leads and being generally un-clutch. Since that bad start, they look like a Super Bowl worhty D - on paper - but they always do. Our D has definitely improved as the season's gone along, but I can't but to feel our number 1 defense might be somewhat of an illusion.

EDIT: That sounded a little more negative than I wanted it to be. They definitely seem to a legit D now - but let's see how that stat gets tested in the coming weeks.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #27
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
They were not Super Bowl quality at the beginning of the year - the Steelers Defense was giving up around the middle of the third quarter. blowing leads and being generally un-clutch. Since that bad start, they look like a Super Bowl worhty D - on paper - but they always do. Our D has definitely improved as the season's gone along, but I can't but to feel our number 1 defense might be somewhat of an illusion.

EDIT: That sounded a little more negative than I wanted it to be. They definitely seem to a legit D now - but let's see how that stat gets tested in the coming weeks.
I agree....I'm so happy with the way they have been playing, but if you look at each position, it's not a great lineup.
AndyWitmyer (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #28
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

The defense MUST create more turnovers. That is killing us right now.

Our cornerbacks blew 3 interception "gimmies" in the Browns game. That is inexcusable.

Our freaking middle linebacker has the most interceptions on the team.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #29
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Randy Fichtner- New QB coach so they can let Fitchner go, No QB has developed under this guyKugler- Not a fan, but i guess i'll give him another season

Garrett Giemont- Strength and conditioning needs to go.
Really? Who the hell is there to develope? When al you bring in are undrafted FAs that you let walk, when does he have a chance to develope any of them? Jerrod Johnson should have been on our PS all season being worked with but they let him go because... who the hell knows why!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
The defense MUST create more turnovers. That is killing us right now.

Our cornerbacks blew 3 interception "gimmies" in the Browns game. That is inexcusable.

Our freaking middle linebacker has the most interceptions on the team.

i absolutely agree with you. Of all the things going wrong.....the special teams playing like garbage, the penalties, this, that, etc.......i think this fact right here is THE single most over-looked thing on this team right now.
It's so mindboggling, i'm not even sure i can find the right words to use. We drop numerous gimme interceptions - and we dont' claw/poke/yank at the ball when tackling (like nearly every other team does - just watch the Patriots tackle - they try and strip the ball on every play). I can't believe this.
Numerous interceptions right in the hands that would have been complete game-changers. Someone better get a hold of this on the coaching staff - and quick - because you're right. Its absolutely KILLING us.

How sad is it when you only have faith that Timmons is capable of intercepting a pass?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote