Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #71
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,938 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall demoted … Wallace close, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
"What, not me, I don't have a fumbling problem."

unless there is an injury to one of the other RBs, Mendy may have played his last game as a Steeler...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #72
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:

This came up on the forum last year, and as I recall his fumble rate was lower than Bettis', who was mythic in terms of his sure-handedness.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #73
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
This came up on the forum last year, and as I recall his fumble rate was lower than Bettis', who was mythic in terms of his sure-handedness.
true, but Mendenhall's 2 fumbles against the Browns certainly didn't endear him to MikeTomlin and being on the inactive list against the Ravens even though he was healthy is an ominous sign that Mendy's days as a Steeler are numbered.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #74
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
true, but Mendenhall's 2 fumbles against the Browns certainly didn't endear him to MikeTomlin and being on the inactive list against the Ravens even though he was healthy is an ominous sign that Mendy's days as a Steeler are numbered.
this^ - the guy was supposed to be a staple for the offense, to help take the pressure off Ben. I feel bad he had to endure Bruce Arians - but I think a lot of people have had enough of not really being able to count on him. It would be one thing if we got him in the later rounds - but 1st rounder - expectations are going to be bigger

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #75
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Steelers’ Wallace blames lack of production on concentration lapses

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

How Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has fared the past four weeks:

• vs. Kansas City: 3 catches, 14 yards

• vs. Baltimore: 4 catches, 26 yards

• at Cleveland: 1 catch, 9 yards

• at Baltimore: 5 catches, 44 yards

At times, Mike Wallace appears the perfect fit for the Steelers’ passing game. Then there are moments when the fleet-footed receiver seems adrift mentally, resulting in uncharacteristic drops and lapses in concentration.

“I’ve never been a guy who dropped balls or just lose focus,” Wallace said somewhat apologetically. “The first three years I was always involved, so you just warmed up in games, and you were just into it.

“But when you don’t get the ball for two-and-half quarters, you lose focus. But that’s the type of offense this is. We’re spreading it around, so you’re not going to get as many targets. When you get them, you have to make the best of them.”

Wallace, one of the NFL’s preeminent deep threats, arrived at training camp last season boasting he could eclipse 2,000 receiving yards. But he struggled in Todd Haley’s offense. Over the past four games, he hasn’t totaled a football-field worth of yards: 13 catches for 93 yards.

“When I don’t get the ball for a certain amount of time, I lose focus sometimes,” he said. “It hurts me when it’s time for me to make a play.”

Wallace has endured some difficult stretches. His speed has been negated by double teams and Haley’s willingness to spread the wealth.

“The toughest thing is staying positive through three quarters because you’re not going to get the ball every time,” Wallace said as the team prepares to face San Diego on Sunday at Heinz Field. “You have to be ready to deliver when it comes your way. That’s been the biggest thing I’ve had to learn this year.”

On a team with a trio of standout receivers — Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders — tight end Heath Miller leads the way in receptions (56) and touchdowns (7).

Wallace’s team-high 616 receiving yards are only three more than Miller’s. The numbers are reflective of Wallace’s frustration and far short of his production the previous two seasons, when he had about 1,200 yards receiving.

“We spread the ball around more than we did in the past,” said Wallace, who missed all of training camp because of a contract dispute. “So it’s not one or two people with yards. Nobody’s numbers just jump out.

“If there’s been a play that I haven’t made this year, it’s been in the second or third quarter when I haven’t been getting too many passes ... and I’m losing focus. I get a little frustrated, and that’s the main thing.”

The Steelers will need a focused Wallace as they pursue an AFC playoff berth. It’s a four-game stretch run in which Wallace insists he’s ready to deliver.

“It’ll make me forget about all the stuff that happened in the first (11) games,” Wallace said. “There have been a lot of plays made this year, but a lot of plays have been missed at the same time. I’m used to making big plays, but I’m not getting as many opportunities to make those plays.

“Sometimes I have to remind them not to forget about me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2EKpwpIwA
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #76
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Well Mikey, if you want the ball, run crisp routes and catch the damn thing properly. If he wants people to stop squawking he needs to stop dropping.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #77
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
True, but only kinda sorta. He carries the ball in a way that needlessly encourages fumbles, which is a basic flaw in his fundamentals. Mostly he gets away with it. But you'll notice that he fumbles at critical times, times where ball security is paramount. That's not accidental - that's when defensive players are trying their hardest to strip that ball, and Mendy makes an easy target.

Also, look at his record in big games - he's made game-ending fumbles, fumbles that cost us playoff positioning, and probably cost us the Super Bowl vs. GB.

It's just another example that shows football is more than statistics. When you watch the game, you see the flaws. The man dangles the ball out there for no reason; it's just an accident waiting to happen.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #78
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

Oh yea! This threads back. Oh how I missed it.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #79
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,370 Posts

1st round RB needs to be counted on to take the pressure off - the fumbling needs to be the least of our concerns - and right now with Mendy, it is a liability, on top of his lack of preparation

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #80
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

The article on Wallace pretty much seals his fate here in the 'Burgh IMO. He just gave them something to use against him in negotiations, which may not even happen now, when it comes time. There is no way he is a Steeler next year. He also hurt himself with other teams. Not ALL of them. Some dumb ass GM and Owner will buy into him but man, what a dummy! Time to move on. Put WR as a need somewhere in the 1st few rounds of the draft next year.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote