Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
Default Re: "FIRE THE TRAINING STAFF!!!"

Quote:
Bad conditioning. This is the one that many fans are currently questioning. What the heck our are trainers doing, or not doing, that is leading to this current rash of injuries?
Quote:
A good example of this to consider is Buddy Morris. Buddy was the legendary strength coach of the Pitt Panthers during Pitt's heyday of the 70s and 80s............He had a lot of research and new exercise to combat injuries. If you walked into one of Buddy's workouts, you would see some athletes doing things like terminal knee extensions, rotator cuff work, lots and lots of core work (Buddy really brought the core stuff to the forefront), medicine ball exercises, tissue therapy, and a myriad of other things.

Guess what? None of it worked. The Browns were devastated by injuries and Davis was fired
I guess I have to agree with this, seeing as I had the same basic impression about the team on Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
The team looks under-disciplined, and under-conditioned...........We're starting to look like the Browns, or worse.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Philly had this many in the first 2 days of camp.

you are not suggesting that the strength and conditioning coaches would have prevented DeCastro from intentionally blowing up Pouncey's knee are you?

or LS Howling from being a tiny smurf?

or foote from being old?

I'll give you that they could have possibly helped reduce the likelyhood of the foote injury, but not eliminate the chances all together.
DeCastro should get fined $100k like Suh, for that hit on Pouncy.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (09-10-2013), teegre (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #43
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Member Number: 24990

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i don't disagree with the article at all - i'm a trainer myself - i don't need to educate myself - and the "will" of the individual/player is key. The only thing i WILL say...is that all trainers are not created equal. The conditioning job is to not only 'condition' but to do the best to prevent injury as well.
Are they doing our team justice? How are they in comparison with the rest of the team's trainers in the league? Can we do and hire better? Are they working with each and every player at a better-than-satisfactory level?
These are questions that we can only guess or very loosely debate since we're not in the facility. Can trainers prevent injuries? No. But the amount of them (and this goes back through all of last year too) here definitely makes one wonder, though.
Some of the article was accurate, but certainly not completely. I know Buddy Morris. He lost gigs for reasons other than players getting hurt. Any how, the one area they could look into is how much free weight training are they doing. If they are relying more on machines, that is the FIRST area you look to change. Machines suck. Free weight training - especially with bands, chains, etc. - leads to stronger, better prepared bodies. SF is a big time free weight team, and they suffer few injuries, especially the O line. Last year, I believe every starter started in every game, including the post season. Would free weight training prevented Pouncey from blowing his ACL by the DeCastro hit? Highly unlikely. But there is often a direct correlation between teams doing a lot of free weight training and avoiding injuries. Another advocate of heavy free weight training, to the point of personally monitoring free weight work outs? Just some dude who is head coach of Alabama. I think his name is Nick Saban or something like that.
Da Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Thanks for creating this thread, I have been calling for a training staff overhaul for a few years now. It seems as of late the injury bug hurts us more than any other team year after year!