Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
TheTruestBlackGoldFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2314
Default Steelers Always Make Good Decisions

The Steelers decided to pass on Lendel White (who just did the ultimate worse thing you can do to a TEAMMATE, spit on them) who wasn't giving 100%, complained of injuries, and was smoking weed. The Steelers also showed they didn't have faith in Chad Jackson, who is having alot of trouble getting on the field in NY. So far in camp Santonio has wowed everyone...making great catches and understanding the offense. There is somthing in the air in that front office that allows managment to use brains and that somthing extra that i have been trying to put my finger on for years now. Track Record

2005 Heath Miller
2004 Ben Roethlisberger
2003 Troy Polamalu
2002 Kendall Simmons
2001 Casey Hampton
1998 Alan Faneca

19 of the 22 superbowl starters were DRAFTED. No organization does it like we do.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305
Default Re: Steelers Always Make Good Decisions

I think since Cowher has had more control and say in the organization along with Colbert, they have done a really good job.. Donahoe and Cowher didnt end up getting along, but i think it was a situation where Cowher didnt like Donahoe's decisions and the Roonys kept the right person. 19 of 22 is very impressive in this " new age " of free agency !!
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

For the most part the Steelers do a really good job with finding the right people in the draft. They have made some bad decisions but the good far out weigh the bad! Case in put, Plexiglass! Colbert and the gang definitely do their homework and can find the right person(s) to fit into the system. Plus with the many veterans who set the examples for these younger guys has something to do with it as well. If the Steelers had veterans like T.O and Keyshawn Johnson then things would probably be differnent, but then again the Steelers tend to ignore those kinds of cancers.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
TheTruestBlackGoldFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2314

AZ Steeler
For the most part the Steelers do a really good job with finding the right people in the draft. They have made some bad decisions but the good far out weigh the bad! Case in put, Plexiglass! Colbert and the gang definitely do their homework and can find the right person(s) to fit into the system. Plus with the many veterans who set the examples for these younger guys has something to do with it as well. If the Steelers had veterans like T.O and Keyshawn Johnson then things would probably be differnent, but then again the Steelers tend to ignore those kinds of cancers.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
I understand what you mean when you say "Plexiglass" but take back a few of his catches in 04' and we dont win 15 games second to only the 72' Dolphins. Take back that season where he caught 60 balls in 2003...we may not be looking at Bill Cower right now if we had done any worse that year. He went over 1000 yards twice over 4 td's all but his rookie year with us. those are all more than randel el's ever done and people say we cant win without him. Bullshit. This was the first year of that option pass if i can recall correctly we won 13 straight games with a rookie and no option passes in 04'. (sorry i got lost in a fit of rage) I am not defending Plaxico I am just defending the Steelers choice to get him. He was a dick and deserverd to catch nothing in a shutout in the playoffs last year. Alicia Keys said it best, karma comes back around!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Midnightwriter07
Starter

I dont think anyone had an arguement about going after him in the draft. I think everyone expected more out of him as a player and wanted him to develope into that mold of a Hines Ward who plays every down and takes pride in his work. As Burris said, "I just didnt fit in ther ". The Steelers fans respect someone for going out on every play amd giving it everything and we watch for those things, even with the back ups and the 3rd stringers. Burris didnt have the heart or the desire in my opinion. No questions from me about drafting him, and certainly no questions from me when we let him go. Every team makes mistakes on players, but we do a pretty good job of letting them go on when they dont work out. I am just hoping that Holmes will be more in the Ward mold than the Burris one.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruestBlackGoldFan
I understand what you mean when you say "Plexiglass" but take back a few of his catches in 04' and we dont win 15 games second to only the 72' Dolphins. Take back that season where he caught 60 balls in 2003...we may not be looking at Bill Cower right now if we had done any worse that year. He went over 1000 yards twice over 4 td's all but his rookie year with us. those are all more than randel el's ever done and people say we cant win without him. Bullshit. This was the first year of that option pass if i can recall correctly we won 13 straight games with a rookie and no option passes in 04'. (sorry i got lost in a fit of rage) I am not defending Plaxico I am just defending the Steelers choice to get him. He was a dick and deserverd to catch nothing in a shutout in the playoffs last year. Alicia Keys said it best, karma comes back around!
I agree, when he first came in he was great had some mental lapses sometimes but he was a great down field receiver. The problem with him was his character and him thinking he was so great that it got to his head, which probably blind sided the Steelers so they did the right thing by letting him go.

At the time he was a great pick, but in long haul when you start looking at the character issues and what not the pick doesn't look all that great because people tend to remember only the bad and not the good.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i think the only reason we come out on top during the draft is because we look into the players backround since they were born. they go over every little thing which helps them make great decisions, despite troy edwards. queer cough cough
Old 08-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I wanted Santonio Holmes. Yea the arrests bothered me. But I didn't give up on him like some. I wouldn't have mind LenDale White. But before the draft when one NFL scout said that LenDale looked like he needed a bra. That made it sound that LenDale was lazy and out of shape. Thats two things that won't fly with Coach Cowher. About Chad Jackson. Who is that? Just kidding I know who that is. Just saying I havn't heard his name at all since the draft.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Jackson was on the radar but has a hammy i believe ( injury could be wrong ) but he hasnt been able to practice since the spring. Will be interesting to see which will haev more of an impact ... We have a bunch of midgets out there running around and am looking forward to watching them fly all over the place.