Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,082 Times in 4,316 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Motivation for Ben Just Keeps Mounting

Motivation for Ben Just Keeps Mounting

by steelcityblitz
May 17. 2013

He’s hurt all the time. He hasn’t had a fourth quarter comeback in forever. It was his fault Mike Wallace left because he couldn’t throw it deep enough for him. He makes the wrong audibles. He was too ‘chummy’ with Bruce Arians and he is clearly the reason the team lost Super Bowl XLV and went 8-8 last year.

Ben Roethlisberger is a lot of things, but he isn’t Atlas. He is a human being after all and after being hailed as the savior of the beloved Pittsburgh Steelers’ franchise in 2004, he’s delivered on the field more often than not but yet his issues off the field still resonate with people which I find sad.

Some of what I mentioned in the opening is true. Roethlisberger cost his team at the end of games in Dallas and at home against Cincinnati with late game interceptions. While there were moments in each of those games where other Steelers certainly had a hand in the failings of the team, Roethlisberger is the QB and as such either gets the credit or gets the blame and he clearly fell into the latter.

I always find myself having to defend Roethlisberger on a periodic basis like this because there are so many who just love to pile on him for a myriad of reasons and often without much in the way of facts to support them.

Roethlisberger was having a Pro-Bowl caliber season before getting hurt against the Chiefs last year. He still ended up throwing 26 touchdowns to just eight interceptions and had a passer rating of 97 which was more than four points higher than his career average.

I often wonder if the injury that he sustained wasn’t as much mentally destructive as it was physically. Newly married and with a baby just under two weeks away, perhaps the sense of mortality was a factor and I can’t argue that one bit. No business of mine the way a person feels at a certain time so I can’t hold that against him.

Of course he received the usual ‘drama queen’ moniker when he revealed how serious the injury was but I’m pretty sure he could have cared less. He has often been ‘over the top’ but again, I’ll take it with everything else he brings to the table.

This week the NFL Network named Roethlisberger the 61st best player in the league as they count down their Top 100 which is so subjective it isn’t even funny. Honestly, I really could care less about these rankings because they are nothing more than an attempt to get people to pay attention to the NFLN between the draft and the pre-season.

For Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl winner, I hope the list serves as one thing and that would be motivation. How much more can this guy be slighted by the so-called ‘experts’ before he just gives up? Maybe he has already and I couldn’t blame him. People hold grudges a long time and that’s their prerogative but for some reason perfection is expected of Roethlisberger but not everyone else. Welcome to being a QB in the NFL right?

This is year two now of the Todd Haley offense. There can no longer be any excuses made about the wrong audibles and whether or not Haley and Roethlisberger are ‘getting along.’ Go play the damn game and get over it. Roethlisberger only has so much time left in his career and should not waste it being pissed that Bruce Arians is no longer there. Leave that to the fans.

The motivational factors for Roethlisberger heading into this season are mounting. From the hated Ravens winning the Super Bowl behind Joe Flacco to the lack of respect from around the league and the drafting of his “successor”, Roethlisberger should have plenty of fuel for his motivational fire.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author...93?widget=true

The LeDoobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-19-2013), FrancoLambert (05-18-2013), harrison'samonster (05-19-2013), Steelstoned1972 (05-18-2013), The_Joker (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: Motivation for Ben Just Keeps Mounting

I did a double take on the title.

At first I read "Ben Just Keeps Mounting" and I was thinking ..."who's he's mounting now?"
Old 05-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,051 Times in 2,588 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

give him some alcohol, that gives him more motivation for mounting
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-19-2013), fer522 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,604 Times in 3,102 Posts
My Mood: Amused

If he played in a market where they went to the playoffs every 14 years like clockwork before he got there, he would be a god. In Pittsburgh, the expectations are higher than anywhere else in the NFL. Uneducated and bitter fans that think he's average or not very good won't change their minds unless he wins 5 consecutive Super Bowls.......maybe. But then it will only be because he has a great team around him.....Soooooo. Let's hope he channels all the negative energy from "fans" and so-called experts and stick it up their collective asses for the remainder of his career with the Steelers. As I and many here have said many times....They won't realize how great this guy was until he's gone, and they only have the highlights to be able to see him play again. That and the fact that they will be watching someone else throwing the ball that probably won't be doing it anywhere near as well as Ben did. Please try to enjoy his play now. The last wait we had between great quarterbacks was 21 years. I hope some of us live to see another one play for the Steelers.

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-19-2013), harrison'samonster (05-19-2013), sluggermatt15 (05-19-2013), stairway27 (05-20-2013), Steelcity95 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,286 Times in 2,053 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
For Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl winner, I hope the list serves as one thing and that would be motivation. How much more can this guy be slighted by the so-called ‘experts’ before he just gives up? Maybe he has already and I couldn’t blame him.
This guy has obviously lost his mind if he thinks Ben has given up.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,547 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
If he played in a market where they went to the playoffs every 14 years like clockwork before he got there, he would be a god. In Pittsburgh, the expectations are higher than anywhere else in the NFL. Uneducated and bitter fans that think he's average or not very good won't change their minds unless he wins 5 consecutive Super Bowls.......maybe. But then it will only be because he has a great team around him.....Soooooo. Let's hope he channels all the negative energy from "fans" and so-called experts and stick it up their collective asses for the remainder of his career with the Steelers. As I and many here have said many times....They won't realize how great this guy was until he's gone, and they only have the highlights to be able to see him play again. That and the fact that they will be watching someone else throwing the ball that probably won't be doing it anywhere near as well as Ben did. Please try to enjoy his play now. The last wait we had between great quarterbacks was 21 years. I hope some of us live to see another one play for the Steelers.

Amen, bro . In the immortal words of 80s hair metal band , Cinderella : " Don't know what you got till it's gone "
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Well said. The pressure is extremely high in Pittsburgh, that is a very true statement. If you aren't a good QB in that town, then you will be under a microscope. I think the article points that out by analyzing a lot of Ben's actions - being "chummy" with Arians, costing his team SB XLV, etc. Despite all the criticism, he's done a GREAT job as a QB. Pittsburgh hasn't had a great player at his position since at least the 1990s... and when you look at the guys who he followed - Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart - he is really head and shoulders above them in terms of ability and achievements. Ben still has a few good years left and I surely hope we see one this fall!
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggermatt15 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Motivation for Ben Just Keeps Mounting

by steelcityblitz
May 17. 2013

He’s hurt all the time. He hasn’t had a fourth quarter comeback in forever. It was his fault Mike Wallace left because he couldn’t throw it deep enough for him. He makes the wrong audibles. He was too ‘chummy’ with Bruce Arians and he is clearly the reason the team lost Super Bowl XLV and went 8-8 last year.

Ben Roethlisberger is a lot of things, but he isn’t Atlas. He is a human being after all and after being hailed as the savior of the beloved Pittsburgh Steelers’ franchise in 2004, he’s delivered on the field more often than not but yet his issues off the field still resonate with people which I find sad.

Some of what I mentioned in the opening is true. Roethlisberger cost his team at the end of games in Dallas and at home against Cincinnati with late game interceptions. While there were moments in each of those games where other Steelers certainly had a hand in the failings of the team, Roethlisberger is the QB and as such either gets the credit or gets the blame and he clearly fell into the latter.

I always find myself having to defend Roethlisberger on a periodic basis like this because there are so many who just love to pile on him for a myriad of reasons and often without much in the way of facts to support them.

Roethlisberger was having a Pro-Bowl caliber season before getting hurt against the Chiefs last year. He still ended up throwing 26 touchdowns to just eight interceptions and had a passer rating of 97 which was more than four points higher than his career average.

I often wonder if the injury that he sustained wasn’t as much mentally destructive as it was physically. Newly married and with a baby just under two weeks away, perhaps the sense of mortality was a factor and I can’t argue that one bit. No business of mine the way a person feels at a certain time so I can’t hold that against him.

Of course he received the usual ‘drama queen’ moniker when he revealed how serious the injury was but I’m pretty sure he could have cared less. He has often been ‘over the top’ but again, I’ll take it with everything else he brings to the table.

This week the NFL Network named Roethlisberger the 61st best player in the league as they count down their Top 100 which is so subjective it isn’t even funny. Honestly, I really could care less about these rankings because they are nothing more than an attempt to get people to pay attention to the NFLN between the draft and the pre-season.

For Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl winner, I hope the list serves as one thing and that would be motivation. How much more can this guy be slighted by the so-called ‘experts’ before he just gives up? Maybe he has already and I couldn’t blame him. People hold grudges a long time and that’s their prerogative but for some reason perfection is expected of Roethlisberger but not everyone else. Welcome to being a QB in the NFL right?

This is year two now of the Todd Haley offense. There can no longer be any excuses made about the wrong audibles and whether or not Haley and Roethlisberger are ‘getting along.’ Go play the damn game and get over it. Roethlisberger only has so much time left in his career and should not waste it being pissed that Bruce Arians is no longer there. Leave that to the fans.

The motivational factors for Roethlisberger heading into this season are mounting. From the hated Ravens winning the Super Bowl behind Joe Flacco to the lack of respect from around the league and the drafting of his “successor”, Roethlisberger should have plenty of fuel for his motivational fire.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author...93?widget=true
I hardly doubt that Landry Jones is his "successor", as far as Mike Wallace goes, I've said it once, I will say it again, GOOD RIDANCE! A selfish player, with a money attitude, just not the type of player that should be a Steeler.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I hardly doubt that Landry Jones is his "successor", as far as Mike Wallace goes, I've said it once, I will say it again, GOOD RIDANCE! A selfish player, with a money attitude, just not the type of player that should be a Steeler.
The Steelers have seen something (Record setting college career) in Landry Jones and its not often the Steeler address QB in the draft but they saw good reason to this draft. I think that mounting injuries,age and some inconsistency has the Steelers looking to the not so distant future.I am a HUGE Ben fan but if the guy is still physically able to play at the level needed to win in 3-4 years it'll be miraculous. Why wouldn't Jones be a good successor? Brilliant college career in the SEC, pocket passer(what the Steeler orginization prefers) an awesome additude and finally one of the greatest QB's in Steeler history to sit behind and learn from. I'm most exited about Jones out of all the good draft selections.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
The Steelers have seen something (Record setting college career) in Landry Jones and its not often the Steeler address QB in the draft but they saw good reason to this draft. I think that mounting injuries,age and some inconsistency has the Steelers looking to the not so distant future.I am a HUGE Ben fan but if the guy is still physically able to play at the level needed to win in 3-4 years it'll be miraculous. Why wouldn't Jones be a good successor? Brilliant college career in the SEC, pocket passer(what the Steeler orginization prefers) an awesome additude and finally one of the greatest QB's in Steeler history to sit behind and learn from. I'm most exited about Jones out of all the good draft selections.
The possibility of Jones to succeed Ben is there. I'm not sure one way or the other. It likely depends on whether he makes the team, spot on the depth chart, and preseason performance. Jones could very well see action this season given that Ben has much trouble starting all 16 regular season games.

My personal opinion is such that management needed another QB on the roster because of the departing Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. The team signed Bruce Gradkowski as the "on paper" backup. They possibly thought it feasible to draft and likely wanted to bring in a rookie to compete with him. That also reminds me the Steelers also have John Parker-Wilson...
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote