Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default The WalterFootball.com mock for us so far

It's early but I would be interested in this mock for us

1st Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-2. Weight: 255

2nd Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers (Ray Rice clone?)
Height: 5-8. Weight: 200

3rd Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 209.

4th Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois
Height: 6-6. Weight: 240

Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984
Default Re: The WalterFootball.com mock for us so far

1st - I am not a big fan of Te'o , I've been said it all year ... plus why spend a 1st round pick when you got Spence last year to play the same position?? I know Spence never played and it depends on his recovery. I would just rather not give up on a 3rd round pick already.

2nd - I don't like spending 1-2 on a RB , and if they did I would rather go Eddie Lacy

3rd - This pick I love , I really like Cobi Hamilton

4th - Buchanan is interesting , as he could be a steal ... but how many 3 or later round "steals" are they going to keep wasting on this OLB position?? Worilds was supposed to be a steal , Chris Carter was supposed to be a steal ... seems like every year they're wasting 1-2 later round picks on an OLB ... just get a premium one and stop wasting picks

that's my take... what really Concerns me is that there are no Safeties, In this great safety draft, to not get 1 in the 1st 3 rounds is a huge mistake I think... plus Clark only has 1 year left on his contract so at least 1 Safety is an absolute need
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,448 Times in 9,906 Posts
My Mood: Dead

1. Walterfootball is interesting, but their mocks change every day or so. One day, it's Manti Te'o. The next day, it's Kenny Vaccaro. Tomorrow, it'll be Matt Elam.

2. I agree with much of what cbrunn said.

RB in R2... eh.

Another "possible" OLB... Why not just get a top-tier in R1???

No S!?! This is the "draft of the safety" (there's like ten safeties who could go in R1-R3).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

I'm starting to become a fan of gerald hodges from penn state. Reports on walterfootball say he's been very impressive in the east-west game practices this week with the agility to play sideline to sideline and drop into coverage. I think he would be, a good second round pick
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburhans View Post
I'm starting to become a fan of gerald hodges from penn state. Reports on walterfootball say he's been very impressive in the east-west game practices this week with the agility to play sideline to sideline and drop into coverage. I think he would be, a good second round pick
I love Hodges too ... but 2nd round on a ILB , I guess it would all depend on how Spence recovery is coming

If Spence is recovering good, then no way take a ILB in rd. 2 ... If Spence recovery isn't going to well then Yes , I've mocked Hodges in several of my early season Mocks
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,408 Times in 4,679 Posts

Those mocks that don't have a Safety or OLB going to us in the first four rounds are bad mocks written by people that are looking at names on paper instead of watching film. It's best to ignore these kind of people and look at the mocks here on this site or legitimate Steelers fans, not just guys that see we have Polamalu and Clark and think we're set at Safety for another three years.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Well in defense of this mock draft by WalterFootball.com I can see the reasoning somewhat minus the lack of a safety pick. However upon further thoughts:

I believe Troy and Ryan Clark are signed through 2014, so 2015 is when a starter would be needed good health by both considered. However it's a good draft for safeties and would hate to pass one up.

You would think third round picks should be starters, but when looking at a lot of drafts most picks are role players and backups. Think Matt Spaeth. If Spense can't get a lot stronger he will easily be pushed around out there on runs and be a liability. If a super stud ILB is there in the first no way do the Steelers pass on him because they have an uproven third round pick who's better suited for the Timmons role waiting in the wings. Teo can be a perenial pro-bowl player and is a great leader.

With Wide Receiver depth looking like A Brown, E Sanders, and J Cotchery this team needs a WR badly, and I fully expect one in the first 3 rounds as I do RB. Dwyer showed some real good things, while Redman no doubt underachieved considering his role with Mendenhall hurt. Neither showed they can do it week to week and neither has speed. The little tough guy from Rutgers or Eddie Lacey would be nice.

And on further study of OLBs besides the ones who will be gone by the time the Steeler's pick, the rest are high boom or bust candidates who may excell at one aspect but not the other. I don't think the Steelers like taking risks with their number one pick. I can almost guarantee a OLB won't be drafted in the first round considering Harrison may be back at a reduced rate and Worilds had 5 sacks with limited action last year. Throw in two guys behind them who could be getting better as well OLB will be drafted later and the 4th round prediction of a Michael Buchanan is right on in a perfect world.

So S or ILB round one
RB and WR round two and three
is very probably in my opinion.

One thing for sure all four picks in the mock are high energy, love football, leader type picks. Something considering the lack of discipline and leadership this team currently has would benfit this team going forward for years to come.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote