Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Adderall is perfromance enhancing?

Adderall is used to treat ADHD, it is a psychiatric medication, schedule II. When i take it, it just really helps me focus and gives me energy to clean and what not. I jus't don't see how it is really "performance enhancing" If they're saying it's because it gives you energy than the players shouldn't be allowed to drink coffee or red bull.
If anything it should be a violation for drug abuse, adderall is amphetamine. I don't think any of the players suspended had their performance enhanced by it... maybe it would help you remember the plays or something but its not like its steroids.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,106 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Adderall is perfromance enhancing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Adderall is used to treat ADHD, it is a psychiatric medication, schedule II. When i take it, it just really helps me focus and gives me energy to clean and what not. I jus't don't see how it is really "performance enhancing" If they're saying it's because it gives you energy than the players shouldn't be allowed to drink coffee or red bull.
If anything it should be a violation for drug abuse, adderall is amphetamine. I don't think any of the players suspended had their performance enhanced by it... maybe it would help you remember the plays or something but its not like its steroids.
I thought it was an ingredient IN the Adderall the triggers the tests to note it as a "performance enhancement drug".

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,252 Times in 2,298 Posts

It makes you focus better, thats why college kids us it as a study aid. It also helps you stay awake. It's known as a "smart drug".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Isn't this what Dwyer tested for and it was made out like he was some kind of druggie? I used to take concerta back in the day for my ADHD. Helped me a bit in K-12 school.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Adderall is to Amphetamine salts as baically what heroin is to oxcontin. it will make you feel like you are meat> there are rumors that it gives you gives you
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

^^Haha...what?

I read a few articles on it, and it seems that they just classify it under PED's for whatever reason (maybe cause it helps guys stay focused/alert?). What I gathered though was that it's ok to use as long as you have a valid prescription for it (a couple of guys have actually had their rulings overturned b/c they had scripts). The only league that doesn't allow you to use it at all is the NHL.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

i dont even remember typing that. wow
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

But anyways all adderall is used for is ptatient with ADHD iI've taken it before and its of like meth our crack, some people get really paranoied but it has no physical benefit (unless you are trrying to lose weight), I've just been seeing all these suspensions being handed down for adderall and as a former user my self, I can tell you it does not give people much of a physical advantage at all, the only thing I think of is it making it easier to concentrate during a game with a loud crowd or something or something. it really doesnt make sense.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either. I understand why it would be a banned substance (w/o prescription), but PED makes very little sense. I've used it before too, and hated it. It was one of those extended relief ones too, which was even worse. Granted, I chose to take it for a 16 hour workday, and it worked fine for a bit, but coming down off of it was hell. Never again.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

This, however, was interesting...this doctor seems to think it can enhance physical performance.

The NFL, by virtue of a confidentiality provision in its contract with the NFL union, never discloses the substance involved in a violation. That has led to suspicions that in some instances, players or their representatives claim Adderall use because there is less stigma attached to an amphetamine with an acknowledged medical purpose than to other banned substances, such as anabolic steroids.

“It is the excuse of the day, because there is no transparency in the NFL,” said one official in another sport.

Still, it seems undeniable that the use of Adderall is on the rise, and not just in the NFL. Just Tuesday, Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz received a 25-game suspension for using Adderall. NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger also has been connected to the drug, and even actress Lindsay Lohan was reported to be Adderall dependent, according to TMZ.

The potential lure becomes obvious when Dr. Gary Wadler, past chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List Committee, begins listing off the benefits of Adderall to an athlete.

“It masks fatigue, masks pain, increases arousal — like being in The Zone,” begins Wadler, currently an associate professor of medicine at Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, in a phone interview.

“It increases alertness, aggressiveness, attention and concentration. It improves reaction time, especially when fatigued. Some think it enhances hand-eye coordination. Some believe it increases the mental aspects of performance.”

That’s not to mention possible increases in acceleration, speed, strength and power that accrue to Adderall users. It’s no wonder that Wadler calls Adderall “one of the quintessential performance-enhancing drugs. There’s no question it’s a performance-enhancing drug.”

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...thletes/?print