Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Lynn Swann Rising

Very good read on Pennsylvania's next governor!

http://www.swannforgovernor.com/news/Read.aspx?ID=178

Swann Rising
Monday, August 07, 2006
By Jay Nordlinger
National Review

Lynn Swann is in motion, pushing a gray-haired lady in a wheel?chair to her poker game. When she gets there, she asks the young man his name. He says, ?I?m Lynn Swann.? She says, ?No, you?re not, you?re sh**tin? me.? I?m given to understand that this is the way grannies talk in western Pennsylvania.

We?re in Castle Shannon, a community outside Pittsburgh, at a summer festival. Swann is running for governor, on the Republican ticket. Very few people have to ask his name. He shows up ? anywhere in the state, by all accounts ? and they come running to him. Swann is a football hero, particularly in this area. He played for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1974 to 1983, helping to win four Super Bowls, winding up in the Hall of Fame. (Swann was a wide receiver.) He still looks like he could suit up, too, fit as he is.

About a half-hour later, we?re at another summer festival, in South Park (not to be confused with the South Park of television notoriety). A polka band plays on the stage. And the candidate is being showered with ?Lynn love,? as his staff calls it. People receive him ecstatically, their faces all alight. Men want to jaw with him, women want to hug him. After meeting Swann, a man looks at me wonderingly and says, ?I shook his hand.? Almost everyone wants a picture and an autograph. Swann will pose for any picture ? and answer any question, at length ? but he won?t sign an autograph. He?d never make it out of any campaign event, he explains. It would be nonstop signing.

When he enters the bingo tent, the players cheer and squeal, like bobbysoxers at Sinatra. He is privileged to call out the next number. ?S-88,? he says, to a roar of laughter. (Eighty-eight was his Steelers number, and S, of course, is his initial.) He then says he can?t read the real number without his glasses ? ?like a lot of you,? he adds, to more appreciative laughter. Swann is a bit of a teaser, but of a gentle, charming type.

Many athletes have run for office. These include Bill Bradley (basketball), Jim Bunning (baseball), Steve Largent (football), and Jim Ryun (the miler) ? and I have named only political winners. Athletic celebrity aside, Swann is one of three black Republicans running in prominent races this year. The others are Michael Steele, the Senate candidate in Maryland, and Kenneth Blackwell, the gubernatorial candidate in Ohio.

Swann is a conservative, and a classic Reagan conservative. (So are Steele and Blackwell, incidentally.) He?s against high taxation, big spending, and heavy regulation. He is pro-life, pro-enterprise, and pro-reform. He?s pushing all sorts of reform, in welfare policy, tort law, and so on. In fact, his campaign bus is called ?Reform One.? Swann talks a lot about ?standing on your own two feet,? in part so you can help others, who have more difficulty standing. And he believes that political leaders should have the guts to say no.

Swann?s opponent is the incumbent governor, Ed Rendell. Before being sent to Harrisburg, he was mayor of Philadelphia and chairman of the Democratic National Committee. Rendell is a canny politician, not ostentatiously left-wing. He knows how to employ a populist touch ? more bowling and beer than windsurfing and ?Why can?t I have my water??

The political pros say that Rendell will beat Swann, for a number of reasons. First, Pennsylvanians have never ? never ? ousted an incumbent governor, odd as that may seem. Second, the state has been trending Democratic, becoming ever ?bluer.? Third, the electoral ducks are in Philadelphia and environs, Rendell territory. Fourth, this is a lousy Republican year ? for one thing, President Bush is unpopular.

Fifth, Swann is a novice, starry as he may be. And he?s up against a tough, bruising veteran. But Swann scoffs at any suggestion of unreadiness, certainly when it comes to governing. He mentions several politicians whose maiden office was governor: Bush, Reagan, Mitt Romney, Arnold. (Somehow he neglects to mention Jesse Ventura.) Swann does not lack for confidence. But it?s not a ****y confidence ? more serene.

The morning after those festivals, in his Pittsburgh campaign office, we talk about his life and views. Swann was born in 1952, in Alcoa, Tenn. (home of the aluminum company). His father was a jan?itor. When Lynn was quite young, the family moved to San Mateo, Calif. They attended a Baptist church, where Lynn preached on Children?s Day, at least once. He re?mains a devoted Baptist, and is joined in that faith by his wife, Charena. They have two sons, ten and eight.

Lynn was elected president of his eighth-grade class (and says now that he is running for a lower office). But he had little time for politics after that; he was too busy being a sports star. It?s helpful to bear in mind that we are talking about someone who has been famous, pretty much, since he was in college. His fav?orite sport was basketball, and he was recruited by John Wooden, the legendary coach at UCLA. But he went to USC to play football.

As Swann tells it, he wasn?t especially talented, in relation to others. But he worked very hard, and was very, very competitive. He also had what he de?scribes as ?gamesmanship?: ?I understood how to play the game ? whatever game it was ? and paid attention to the nuances. I learned how to position myself against an opponent. I just found a way to win.? And does that ability transfer to politics? ?We?ll see,? says Swann.

After his professional football career, he engaged in a package of activities. He was a broadcaster for ABC Sports. He toured the country as a speaker, and sat on several corporate boards. He hosted a game show for a while (To Tell the Truth). He was an important player in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization. From 2002 to 2005, he was chairman of the President?s Coun?cil on Physical Fitness and Sports. All the while, he has been making political contacts, preparing, in a way, for the new career.

Swann was ?born? a Democrat, but be?came a Republican in the 1970s, thinking for himself, coming into his own. He was a friend of Pennsylvania senator John Heinz, who died in a plane crash in 1991. And what did he think of the senator?s wife? ?I?ve always liked Teresa,? he says.

Asked whether he has any political models, he says no. (I?ve never heard a politician give that answer to this question, by the way.) He philosophizes a bit, touching on the ?Freudian? and ?Jungian? aspects of the human animal. He says that people can change how they think and how they live; they need not be trapped by their (temporary) circumstances. ?We have choices, we have freedoms.?

He also talks about suffering and its uses, citing Job in particular. I remark that, to the outsider, he himself seems not to have suffered much. He was a golden child, blessed with looks, smarts, charisma, and gobs of talent (no matter what he says). He has been a champ in virtually everything he has ever tried. You would think that he?d never broken a sweat. Not so?

?Not so,? says Swann, smilingly. He then reflects on race and racism. He mentions four hugely successful black Americans: the CEO of American Ex?press, the CEO of Time Warner, the sec?retary of state, and her immediate predecessor. None of them whooshed his way to the top. But Swann is adamant on the need to ?get away from excuses and start executing a plan.? He likes to say, ?Never let anyone make you less than who you are, or what you can be.? He also says, ?Don?t live in the gutter.? And, ?Your greatest obstacle is the person who looks at you in the mirror? ? we all have choices.

Obviously, Swann takes some heat from his fellow blacks, for his party affiliation and his beliefs. But he doesn?t mind the heat, and says that many black Dem?ocrats are supporting him (some publicly, some quietly). And he doesn?t need the vote of every citizen: ?This is not a perfect world ? 51 percent would be just fine.? I ask whether he ever faces open resentment from black men, in particular. He answers, simply and straightforwardly, ?Yes.? And how does he deal with that? Does he try to reach such people, or does he merely slough it off? ?I go case by case,? Swann says.

At this point in the campaign, he?s behind Ed Rendell in fundraising, but President Bush is coming in soon, to make up some of the difference. This year, a lot of Republicans are running away from Bush, but Swann is upfront in his admiration. He says, ?I think he?s done a tremendous job,? with challenges of an extraordinary nature. History will credit him, says Swann, if written fairly.

Swann won?t contemplate life after a November loss, because he won?t contemplate a loss. He?s going all out, from early morning to late at night, executing his plan, making adjustments as necessary. The latest polls have him between 10 and 15 points down. His staff points out that Rendell has been spending his money, airing TV ads, which have been unanswered by Swann. The Republican?s own ads won?t go up until after Labor Day. And then it will be a whole new ballgame, they say.

Leaving Swann?s headquarters, I jump into a cab, driven by a man in a Steelers jersey. I tell him I?ve just been with ol? No. 88, who looks like he could still play today. The driver ? a rough-talking, left-leaning political analyst ? says, ?Well, he might as well start running pass routes, because he sure as hell won?t be governor of this state.? That is, indeed, the conventional wisdom. I myself am not so sure. We might want to check back in, round about the end of October.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771
My Mood: Shocked
Default Re: Lynn Swann Rising

Blah, blah, blah, blah. That said, hoping the best for him.

Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

I hope Swann loses....and I don't care about any of his political views...One year they had a benefit for Mike Webster when he was still alive. Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free. Now, if he won't do that for a teammate that he played with for 10 yrs....what's he gonna do for the citizens of Pennsylvannia? F*ck Lynn Swann...If I ever get the chance, I'd love to spat in his face!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I think Lynn may have an unclimbable hill in front of him.....

I'm sure he will hold his own in Pittsburgh...on name alone if nothing else....

But Fast Eddie OWNS Philly....

I'm certainly not a Rendell fan by any means...I'm just saying....this is gonna be a hard one for him to win
Old 08-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Ok some reasons why Dead Spendell will LOSE the race

1. Education- Class levels have not gotten ANY SMALLER in any class room that I have stepped in Hollidaysburg and he promised smaller class sizes. Count that up as 1 busted promise

2. The State Budget- He has bloated the budget WAY too much. He has put more into the emergency funds then has to the more important reasons.

3. Taxes- where are the lower taxes Ed? Everyone seems to be paying just as much as they did when you took over for Schweiker

4. Jobs- Where are they Ed? We are losing as many jobs as we are gaining. at least in the Republican Counties.

5. Where is the help in the Republican Counties? Your not just the governor of 1 specific area. Your the governor of a STATE. if you want to be in charge of a specific area, GO BACK TO BEING THE F'in Mayor Of Philadelphia dumbass.

6. The Gambling Law is a JOKE. The Gambling licenses are not going to those who could help an area benefit most. Example IOC and the Penguins Plan to help with Slots license in Pittsburgh will help an ENTIRE PART OF PITTSBURGH redevelop into what it was before Mellon Arena Made its way into town 46 years ago. And a Sports team helps bring in Dollar After Dollar worth of income for the state of PA.

7. THE LEGISTLATIVE PAY RAISE!- The Biggest Reason of them all. Why would you raise the Pay raise when he should have been aware of something. 1 It was AGAINST THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO DO SO WHEN A FISCAL YEAR IS IN EFFECT! 2 he would lose some of the most valuable members to the State Senate which have helped greatly such as Robert Jubelier. And he was classy enough to repeal the vote as well as appologize for taking the pay raise. But he still lost. They almost cleaned house in the May elections.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
I think Lynn may have an unclimbable hill in front of him.....

I'm sure he will hold his own in Pittsburgh...on name alone if nothing else....

But Fast Eddie OWNS Philly....

I'm certainly not a Rendell fan by any means...I'm just saying....this is gonna be a hard one for him to win
Lynn will also hold his own in Central PA. Erie is heavily Democrat, as is Philly, but if Lynn can take 30% of the Philly vote, I think he has a pretty good shot to unseat Rendell.

Philly is heavily populated by African-Americans and it has been my experience through working with various campaigns over the years that when all is said and done, the brothas will still vote for a brotha just because he IS a brotha.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
LambertIsGod58
Team President

If Swann wanted something like this...he should have a better public demeanor. He thinks all the counts is what he shows on TV...I wouldn't piss on Swann if he was on fire!!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
If Swann wanted something like this...he should have a better public demeanor. He thinks all the counts is what he shows on TV...I wouldn't piss on Swann if he was on fire!!
You seem to be the only one who has a problem with him outside of his political views, or brought up this fundraiser that he didn't attend. Nobody else in PA has said a word about it. Not only that, how do you know Swann didn't do anything behind the scenes to help Mike Webster? As for his public demeanor, all you have to do is go over to his site and see all of the places he's been and people he's met. Do you honestly think he would have so much support if he was as you say he is, or was angry at him over not attending that fundraiser? People support Swann because they believe in his political agenda and plans for the state. Besides, if he was this horrible person as you say, you'd think that would be something that Rendell would use against him in the campaign to try and sway voters since the race is tightening up, but he hasn't, not even in Philadelphia. Even he doesn't have the balls to attack Swann's character (or lack thereof, according to you).

You have your view, and I have mine, and that's fine - my intention isn't to get into some long, drawn out verbal war that ultimately won't change anyone's mind. I'm just speaking up and stating how I feel.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
But the polls look bad for Swann.
According to the Rasmussan poll performed on August 3rd, Lynn is only 10 points behind Rendell (50-40) with 10% undecided.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006...iaGovernor.htm

With 2-1/2 months left and Lynn out each and every day working the campaign trail, I believe he can bridge that gap and overtake Do Nothing Rendell. Fat Eddie has a bigger war chest than Lynn and has his mug spread all over television, but Lynn is actually getting out to meet the people of Pennsylvania. I'm not voting for him because he is a former Steeler great - I am voting for him because I like his platform, his ideas, and his very realistic goals for Pennsylvania's future. Some voters feel that he is "green" and not a politician. I think that works in his favor because people are growing weary of politics getting in the way of sound judgment.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
You seem to be the only one who has a problem with him outside of his political views, or brought up this fundraiser that he didn't attend. Nobody else in PA has said a word about it. Not only that, how do you know Swann didn't do anything behind the scenes to help Mike Webster? As for his public demeanor, all you have to do is go over to his site and see all of the places he's been and people he's met. Do you honestly think he would have so much support if he was as you say he is, or was angry at him over not attending that fundraiser? People support Swann because they believe in his political agenda and plans for the state. Besides, if he was this horrible person as you say, you'd think that would be something that Rendell would use against him in the campaign to try and sway voters since the race is tightening up, but he hasn't, not even in Philadelphia. Even he doesn't have the balls to attack Swann's character (or lack thereof, according to you).

You have your view, and I have mine, and that's fine - my intention isn't to get into some long, drawn out verbal war that ultimately won't change anyone's mind. I'm just speaking up and stating how I feel.

You ever met Swann?