Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: Lynn Swann Rising

On top of that...his political views don't mean shit...Are you ignorant enough to believe they do? They tell you what they want to get in office!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771

I met Lynn Swann once at a football card show. I'm a bigtime collector of Steelers FB cards and have some of the rarest cards in terms of quality from the 70's. For example, I have 2 of the 3 71 Mean Joe cards graded PSA 9, had the third one, also but sold it on ebay for $3,500 recently.

Anyhow, several years ago I'm at a card show at the NJ Convention Center, big show, all the big names. I usually get the 70's guys to sign their rookie card, a card in about a PSA 7 or 8 condition as the auto actually devalues the card of the stars.

I bought a ticket for a Swann auto months in advance and while I'm waiting in line a guy asks me what am I gonna have signed. I show him a really nice 75 Swann RC, about a PSA 8, and he says "he won't sign it". Swann and Topps had a fallout in the late 70's and Swann only had 3 FB card years, 75, 76, & 77. For example, Lambert had cards from 76 to 85.

This guy and other guys around me now say he won't sign it, never has. I don't know what to do as I don't have anything else for him to sign. It's my turn, give the card to his handler and the handler gives me a wierd look. He gives the card to Lynn, Lynn looks at the card, looks at me, and I said "thanks for the SB's", he says "I wish I could of got you a few more", and signs the card. We shake hands, take a pic , and that was that.

I'm not a big guy, and maybe those other guys were full of crap, but he treated me with respect, and that's all I know.
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
I hope Swann loses....and I don't care about any of his political views...One year they had a benefit for Mike Webster when he was still alive. Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free. Now, if he won't do that for a teammate that he played with for 10 yrs....what's he gonna do for the citizens of Pennsylvannia? F*ck Lynn Swann...If I ever get the chance, I'd love to spat in his face!

That's pathetic. And agree, what would he do for us? And what does Lynn Swann know about Pennsylvania? I'm niot a big Eddie fan either.
Stlrs4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
On top of that...his political views don't mean shit...Are you ignorant enough to believe they do? They tell you what they want to get in office!!
Your point? I never even hinted that I was even thinking of voting for him - like I said, I was only stating my opinion on the matter.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free.
Would it be too much to ask you to provide a link to that story, Lambert? Seriously, I've never heard that story and I've lived here most of my life. You live in New York, am I correct? Knowing how sneaky Rendell is, surely he would use this against Swann if the story was valid, don't you agree?

In any event, whether I agree with you or not, I respect your opinion.

EDIT: If you live in NY, you couldn't vote for either candidate regardless. (sorry)

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 08-13-2006 at 10:23 PM.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

So as an outsider looking in on this discussion, I am curious to know if Lynn Swann was universally (or close to universally) loved by Pittsburgh fans prior to his entrance into politics. I would like to know if people who were fans of him when he was "just" a player now dislike because they disagree with his politics.

Of course he is polarizing now as a politcal candidate. But I kinda assumed that a Black Republican candidate that was a Steeler hero would almost be a shoe in for Gov. of PA since he would probably take some of the base from Philly. But I obviously don't know jack about PA politics.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #17
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
So as an outsider looking in on this discussion, I am curious to know if Lynn Swann was universally (or close to universally) loved by Pittsburgh fans prior to his entrance into politics. I would like to know if people who were fans of him when he was "just" a player now dislike because they disagree with his politics.

Of course he is polarizing now as a politcal candidate. But I kinda assumed that a Black Republican candidate that was a Steeler hero would almost be a shoe in for Gov. of PA since he would probably take some of the base from Philly. But I obviously don't know jack about PA politics.

Actually, you do not have to live in Pittsburgh to follow Swanny's campaign. Every Steeler fan is watching while few would vote for him. Yes he played football but just how capable would he be as governor of PA?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_464788.html
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #18
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
Every Steeler fan is watching while few would vote for him.

Not according to the Rasmussen poll that HG posted above, showing Swann just 10 points down as of 8/3:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006...iaGovernor.htm

So it seems that plenty of Steelers fans would vote for him.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Looks like he made up some ground. That's good news.

There are very few incumbents in the country who deserve to be re-elected.
A lot of voters will vote along party lines, but if you look at Rendell's 3-1/2 plus years as Governor - other than eat, get parking tickets and keep his shady pals in AC and his Philly homers happy, what really has he done?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

He has done nothing. Taxes are just as bad. Class sizes are just as bad. Altoona is building a brand new jr. high. They're merging Roosevelt and Keith which is a DUMB idea since both schools have grudges from their sports rivalry. The schools have at least 1000+. It will be interesting how they can handle 2000+ in one building.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote