Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Game Notes From Against the Ravens

Disgaree that Dwyer is not ready for prime time or any like that. Baltimore knew we HAD to run the ball. We played a 3rd string, 38 yr old QB, No one, including many on this board, thought Chuck had that game in him. They loaded up against the run, over pursued several times, and stuffed 8 in the box most of the night. Dwyer is not Jerome Bettis but last night is not a good game to say bad things about him. It's just not a good example. Some of the other things are true, him laying down drives me nuts, but he is a power back that CUT BACK last night for a nice, long TD run. The holes weren't there and he had to play his hand. Overall, good game for him but I wouldn't deactivate Mendenhall. That seems silly, considering the backups to Dwyer and Redman is Chris Rainey. That's over board on Tomlin's part, IMO.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
StainlessStill (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
That Bomb on 3rd and short, and that silly trick play where we had a WR passing were big head scratchers. No need for either of those plays.
They are only silly when they don't work. El to Ward in SB 40 was great because it worked. If it hadn't we'd all be bitching about what a stupid call it was.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

I despise this nitpicking. You guys do realize that there were some pretty darn good players on the other side of the ball? No line opens a gaping hole every play. Even Jim Brown got tackled behind the line of scrimmage sometimes. Etc, etc. Of course, if a player is consistently below standard fans can point it out and complain. But busting on Dwyer and the O line after that game is...well, ignorant.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
StainlessStill (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
They are only silly when they don't work. El to Ward in SB 40 was great because it worked. If it hadn't we'd all be bitching about what a stupid call it was.
Agree, that play was well designed and the throw was actually on target. Graham made a great read and great play. That happens sometimes when you play against a professional team in the National Football League.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #25
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Disgaree that Dwyer is not ready for prime time or any like that. Baltimore knew we HAD to run the ball. We played a 3rd string, 38 yr old QB, No one, including many on this board, thought Chuck had that game in him. They loaded up against the run, over pursued several times, and stuffed 8 in the box most of the night. Dwyer is not Jerome Bettis but last night is not a good game to say bad things about him. It's just not a good example. Some of the other things are true, him laying down drives me nuts, but he is a power back that CUT BACK last night for a nice, long TD run. The holes weren't there and he had to play his hand. Overall, good game for him but I wouldn't deactivate Mendenhall. That seems silly, considering the backups to Dwyer and Redman is Chris Rainey. That's over board on Tomlin's part, IMO.
Yes, the Ravens were stacking the box all night. Yet we still rushed for just shy of 100 yds and got six first downs on rushes. The "lay down" was a reaction to not wanted to give up an even bigger loss or lose the football. It wasn't great but I can't really criticize it that much. Really, both Dwyer and Redman run hard and fight for yards. Dwyer only has 114 carries, we haven't even seen enough yet to know what he can do. Stand behind the guys!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,368 Times in 4,782 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Agree, that play was well designed and the throw was actually on target. Graham made a great read and great play. That happens sometimes when you play against a professional team in the National Football League.
yup, the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage are getting paid too.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
I despise this nitpicking. You guys do realize that there were some pretty darn good players on the other side of the ball? No line opens a gaping hole every play. Even Jim Brown got tackled behind the line of scrimmage sometimes. Etc, etc. Of course, if a player is consistently below standard fans can point it out and complain. But busting on Dwyer and the O line after that game is...well, ignorant.
They did load the box last night. Mendy would have hit the edge better, but overall I bet it would be a wash. Bmore was determined to stop the run. Anyone would have had trouble.

Mendy is a #1 pick and doesn't look like it. Still not sure though he isn't their best back. My biggest beef with mendy is he gets his yards in chunks. If its third and short, I never have a lot of confidence. But he can take it all the way. Redman and Dwyer always seem to fall forward. Mendy stands up so tall when he runs, if you lay a hand on him, it's not hard to bring him down. Regardless of what happened with the browns and the SB against green bay, mendy always worried me with the way he carries the ball. I wouldn't say he has a fumbling problem, but he does not protect the ball well.

Dwyer has bummed me out a bit. Diving, taking himself out etc. not sure what the real issue is there but if he is going to be our #1 guy he still has a way to go. Not saying he can't do it but...
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
They did load the box last night. Mendy would have hit the edge better, but overall I bet it would be a wash. Bmore was determined to stop the run. Anyone would have had trouble.

Mendy is a #1 pick and doesn't look like it. Still not sure though he isn't their best back. My biggest beef with mendy is he gets his yards in chunks. If its third and short, I never have a lot of confidence. But he can take it all the way. Redman and Dwyer always seem to fall forward. Mendy stands up so tall when he runs, if you lay a hand on him, it's not hard to bring him down. Regardless of what happened with the browns and the SB against green bay, mendy always worried me with the way he carries the ball. I wouldn't say he has a fumbling problem, but he does not protect the ball well.

Dwyer has bummed me out a bit. Diving, taking himself out etc. not sure what the real issue is there but if he is going to be our #1 guy he still has a way to go. Not saying he can't do it but...
When the game was over I thought to myself both Dwyer and Redman played well. I looked at the stats and saw Dwyers numbers and would never have believed they were that poor. Stats don't tell the whole story. The lay down was more about not losing more yardage with spin move than to avoid contact IMO. The lay down 2 weeks ago did piss me off but this one not so much. I really believe Dwyer has more upsdide than Mendy at this point. And he shouldn't demand nearly as much cash. I am not saying he is the answer for 5 years but he can do a solid job. He has good feet , he needs mental toughness and to get into better physical shape.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Saying he's only going to the ground to prevent more loss is bull, given that the two worst times he's done he had at least 2-4 yards clear ahead. He simply tried one gap, failed, and went to the ground. Yesterday was the worst, because it really looked in the replay like he stood there for a good second and a half looking around before flopping. Unacceptable.

I just really don't want to go into next year with only him and Redman as our #1 choice. That means every game our run gets shut down just by clogging the middle. The league is transitioning to speed, because of Goodell and his laws against physical play. Neither of these guys have that speed.

Regarding the trick play, Randel El throwing to Ward is a guy used to throwing passes hitting up our best possession receiver. A WR throwing a bomb to Dwyer, who was waddling his fastest and still couldn't get there, is very different, and silly.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Saying he's only going to the ground to prevent more loss is bull, given that the two worst times he's done he had at least 2-4 yards clear ahead. He simply tried one gap, failed, and went to the ground. Yesterday was the worst, because it really looked in the replay like he stood there for a good second and a half looking around before flopping. Unacceptable.

I just really don't want to go into next year with only him and Redman as our #1 choice. That means every game our run gets shut down just by clogging the middle. The league is transitioning to speed, because of Goodell and his laws against physical play. Neither of these guys have that speed.

Regarding the trick play, Randel El throwing to Ward is a guy used to throwing passes hitting up our best possession receiver. A WR throwing a bomb to Dwyer, who was waddling his fastest and still couldn't get there, is very different, and silly.
Part of why it's a trick play is that Dwyer is the receiver. I'm pretty sure Todd Haley knows what he's doing.