Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598
Default The Steelers need to stick with the run, more.

Over the past three games, the Steeler's defense has kept them in the game 'til the end. Even with the injury to Roethlisberger, we could still be talking about a record of 9-3, instead of 7-5.

The big problem is that the Steelers are not sticking with the run enough. They are opening up the offense, expecting things from Byron Leftwich, and later Charlie Batch that they are not efficient at doing. I mean, you can't expect Charlie Batch to complete passes, and throw the ball down-field as accurately as Ben Roethlisberger. A team has to adjust the passing game to suit the quarterback they have in there.
Now, if they would have run a strict ball-control offense in the first Ravens game, and then against the Browns, they wouldn't have turned the ball over as much, and they probably would have put more points on the board... at the same time keeping the opposing offense off the field longer.

Heck, if the Steelers would not have abandoned the run as much as they did in the Chiefs game, we might not be talking about a Roethlisberger injury at all.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
BlaZeQuietly
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default Re: The Steelers need to stick with the run, more.

We are running the ball more. The thing is you don't want to become predictable. Batch threw the ball well enough yesterday to make me feel comfortable mixing it up a little bit. I say yes heavier on the run, but don't over do it. I love seeing Dwyer or Redman bust out 8 yards run consistently but that wont keep happening if other D's know exactly whats coming.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

I agree that you dont want to become predictable but sometimes we need to just line up and pound the ball. The 1st ravens game for example when we ran on first down and got it down to the four then passed on 2nd and 3rd. I cant stand watching pass plays on 3rd and 1 or 2.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

haleys schemes are getting wr's wide open (and i will admit, arians schemes were damn good at that as well).

shoot, heath miller is getting wide open just about everytime he goes out on a passing pattern.

gameplans are usually scripted and what we do now, sets up things in the future. i do believe this was the planned time in the schedule, when we started to unleash some offensive firepower. unfortunately it coincided with bens injury and our receivers having trouble holding onto the ball.

i say we are ready for shootouts with dallas and SD, and start playing it closer to the vest by pounding the rock the final 2 games as it gets colder in pittsburgh.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
Over the past three games, the Steeler's defense has kept them in the game 'til the end. Even with the injury to Roethlisberger, we could still be talking about a record of 9-3, instead of 7-5.

The big problem is that the Steelers are not sticking with the run enough. They are opening up the offense, expecting things from Byron Leftwich, and later Charlie Batch that they are not efficient at doing. I mean, you can't expect Charlie Batch to complete passes, and throw the ball down-field as accurately as Ben Roethlisberger. A team has to adjust the passing game to suit the quarterback they have in there.
Now, if they would have run a strict ball-control offense in the first Ravens game, and then against the Browns, they wouldn't have turned the ball over as much, and they probably would have put more points on the board... at the same time keeping the opposing offense off the field longer.

Heck, if the Steelers would not have abandoned the run as much as they did in the Chiefs game, we might not be talking about a Roethlisberger injury at all.
Ummm...run the ball more against the Browns?!!! The RB's couldn't hold on to the ball. How do you commit to the run when every back drops the ball?! I agree The Steelers should have run it more in the first Ravens game with Leftwich injured, but after the "Browns Dropsey Debacle", how could you trust it?!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

It's true, the decision to open up the passing game may have been a planned move, but injuries to the running backs, and on the offensive line probably played a role, as well.

At any rate, when they did open up the passing game, they should have traded offensive coordinators with the Indianapolis Colts. I’m not a big Bruce Arians fan, but seriously, if you are going to run the spread offense, you need somebody that knows how to implement it. Bruce Arians, also, knew how to get the best out of Ben Roethlisberger, giving him more freedom to roll outside the pocket, and make plays. He also put more receivers on the field for Big Ben to throw to. This year, it appeared like Roethlisberger, and the wide receivers were not getting enough work together, in practice. That could be the main reason why the chemistry between Roethlisberger, and the wide receivers was/is not there like it was in years past, when Arians was the coordinator.

All I am saying is that if a team wants to pass the ball most of the time, then that team will need the right offense, and the right offensive coordinator to do it successfully.

Last edited by VictoryFormation; 12-04-2012 at 06:27 AM.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

How can you argue with anything that happened with the play call Sunday against the Rats? I wouldn't have changed anything. The RAts were stacking the crap out of the box and the big play to Heath Ś wow. No room inside and Rainy sucked the D to the right and Miller had time to shave until a defender got to him.

The two biggest missed opportunities were passing plays. Wallace wide open and Sanders scores, NO DOUBT if he doesn't switch the ball to the outside arm. So that Stains game still had lasting effects here. Sanders doesn't worry about moving the ball to the other hand if they didn't turn it over so many times a week before.

Now, there was Dwyer's TD that was beautiful, but I wouldn't count on him hitting the edge and scoring very often. He obviously can do it, but it's not his strength.

Offensively, Haley had his guys ready and the execution was very good. Not sure the outcome is much different if Ben plays. Not saying Batch is better, but he played to Ben's level on that day.

I'm all for the run game, I love lining them up and pounding out 2-4yds especially when the D knows it's coming and they can't stop it. But we don't have that in our game, no matter how dedicated we are to the run. It will happen from time to time, but this isn't the 90's steelers with the Bus, I wish we had that game, but we don't.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote