Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Colclough Tackle Crucial Camp

Colclough tackles crucial camp

By Joe Rutter
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 11, 2006

Ricardo Colclough had enough drops in practice that he may not handle kickoffs in the Steelers' exhibition opener against Arizona. He had enough muffs to keep him off the punt-return unit, too.

While second-year cornerback Bryant McFadden is pushing Deshea Townsend for a starting job, Colclough will head into his third NFL season firmly entrenched as the backup behind left corner Ike Taylor.

So, what was coach Bill Cowher doing praising Colclough and his training-camp contributions Thursday morning?

"He has competed very well, and he has started camp very well," Cowher said. "He obviously put too many balls on the ground catching punts, and I don't like to see that. But I like the way he's been out there. He's had a more consistent camp than he's had in years past.

"I'd like to see that translate into games. That will be a telling sign."

In his first audition Saturday, Colclough apparently will be limited to the defensive backfield. Cowher said yesterday that rookies Willie Reid and Santonio Holmes will be handling kickoff and punt returns.

Colclough returned 48 kickoffs in his first two seasons. He has only one career punt return, but he was the Steelers' first option behind Antwaan Randle El.

This year, it seems, Colclough will be given a chance to embrace a larger role in the Steelers' defense. Last year, he was used occasionally in passing-down packages.

"I'm hoping for better things, but I don't know what the role is for me," Colclough said. "I'll leave that in the hands of the coaches. I know they'll make the right decision."

In 2004, after drafting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the first round, the Steelers used their second pick -- the 38th overall selection -- to take Colclough out of tiny Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tenn.

That was a year after Taylor was drafted in the fourth round out of a similarly small school -- Louisiana-Lafayette -- and a year before the Steelers plucked McFadden out of Florida State.

Taylor earned a starting job in his third season, and McFadden is poised to do it in his second. Colclough remains a backup, although that could change next season if Taylor departs via free agency.

Colclough is aware of what's at stake. He prepped for training camp by working out with a personal trainer in Orlando, Fla.

"That's why I came into this camp trying to position myself for better things," he said. "This is definitely an important year for me. It's my third year, and people are expecting big things from me. So am I. I have to go out there and do the things everyone expects me to do."

Like Cowher, defensive backs coach Darren Perry has also seen Colclough make progress during training camp.

"He has been a lot more consistent," Perry said. "He's still not there yet, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that. But he's made tremendous strides from where he was last year at this point. He knows what we're looking for in terms of consistency, and he's working hard to do that."

Perry rattled off a list of areas in which Colclough has improved.

"Mental preparation, technique, focusing on every snap, finishing plays," he said. "It's attention to detail, the little things and understanding how to be a professional cornerback in this league as far as not breaking a play off and really going after it snap after snap and not having any mental lapses."

Colclough said he has a better grasp of the Steelers' defense than he did during his first two training camps.

"I know it pretty good this year and can concentrate on going out, working on my technique and playing football," he said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_465620.html
Old 08-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Colclough Tackle Crucial Camp

As Chuck Noll used to say, if a player doesn't step it up by his third year you pretty much lost him. So what do we all think about our past second round pick Mr. Colclough? We tried him on kick returns and he had a very bad tendency of putting the ball on the ground.

With the exception of Cowher's recent comments, I have not heard his name mentioned in camp this year. I'm hoping to see this kid turn it around this year but I'm not holding my breath. He seemed completely lost out there last season. While I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Ricardo, he's going to have to step it up this season in order to prove to me he's worth being on this roster. Praise or no praise from Cowher.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-11-2006 at 05:42 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Agreed 83...I'm still not totally sold on him....I hope the lights go on and he turns it up this year....
Old 08-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

ive been a fan of him since college, even if he doesnt become a premier corner in the league like he was supposed to become with his great hands i think he will be an excellent man for the pass defense packages.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86
ive been a fan of him since college, even if he doesnt become a premier corner in the league like he was supposed to become with his great hands i think he will be an excellent man for the pass defense packages.
From a second round pick getting paid fairly nice I would expect more than that out of him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him cut after this season if he doesn't step up to the plate and actually prove he can contribute to this team. Up to this point he hasn't shown me (and apparently the Steeler organization) very much if anything at all.

We have other players to pay who are actually stepping up to the plate big time or showing much promise for the future (Ike, McFadden, Ben, Troy, Starks, Williams). He keeps going at this rate, say good-bye to Coke.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-11-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Excuse me please if this is a dumb question, but why would Cowher be so positive about him if he has played that badly? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would just put out unearned praise.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

No problem and it's not a dumb question at all. I believe Cowher was referring to how he looks in camp, not when it counts. That's why I stated if he doesn't step it up this season when it actually counts, how much longer do you keep him around?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-11-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
No problem and it's not a dumb question at all. I believe Cowher was referring to how he looks in camp, not when it counts. That's why I stated if he doesn't step it up this season when it actually counts, how much longer do you keep him around?
Ok... thanks! I went back and reread it. It actually doesn't sound like he did all that great even in camp. Cowher must see something more in him....

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Cowher must see something more in him....
Here's to hoping he's not seeing Chad Scott.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Ricardo's big one is here. Step up, or step aside

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote