Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,976 Times in 4,653 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Willie Colon Says Terrell Suggs Responsible For His Knee Injury

Willie Colon Says Terrell Suggs Responsible For His Knee Injury

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers left guard Willie Colon has been active for the last two games but he didn't play in either of them. He hopes to play this Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, but currently considers himself a game-time decision after practicing fully on Thursday.

The Friday prior to the game against the Cleveland Browns Colon showed up on the injury report as probable with a knee injury after practicing on a limited basis that day and it was thought that he had injured it in practice.

The Steelers guard revealed on Thursday after practice that he suffered a knee bruise in the first game against the Baltimore Ravens when linebacker Terrell Suggs took his legs out from underneath him in the fourth quarter on a Colon pull to the right. You can see an animated gif of that play below.

Colon evidently has had to get that knee drained a couple of times since suffering the injury and that is never good to hear. He talked about what he accomplished on Thursday and the current status of his knee following practice.

"I think I did all the necessary things that I needed to do, and we'll see how it reacts,'' Colon said Thursday after practice. "But I think I should be ready to play this week. I took a nasty bruise on the knee from Suggs. It swelled up, and I had to get it drained a couple of times."

"So, it was tough to deal with when we played Cleveland. It felt a little better last week, and it feels a lot better so far this week. So, I hope that I'll be able to go. We'll see what happens Friday and Saturday, but it looks pretty good right now. I guess you could say that I'll be a game-time decision.''

Should Colon not be able to work fully on Friday it will be a sign that he likely will be sidelined for a third week in a row. Should that be the case, center Maurkice Pouncey would most likely start again at left guard in his place with Doug Legursky manning the center position once again.

As far as Suggs goes, he tore his right biceps in the Ravens 23-20 loss to the Steelers last Sunday. He has vowed to continue to play through the injury and returned to the practice field Thursday.

A few weeks ago it was reported that the league's competition committee will consider abolishing all blocks below the waist in 2013. Will what Suggs did to Colon a few weeks ago fall into that category, or will linemen be forbidden to be cut even though they will not be allowed to cut themselves?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...s-knee-injury/
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Willie Colon Says Terrell Suggs Responsible For His Knee Injury

Another reason to hate horse face!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,461 Times in 2,745 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

suggs did what he was supposed to do on that play. if you cant get to the runner, take out the blocker so someone else can make the tackle

as much as i hate suggs, he did a good job on that play. and of course he'd go low. 270lbs vs 320, giving up 50 lbs and taking the bigger man head on will get you manhandled, look at what happened to vontaze burfict when he tried to meet colon head on
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,181 Times in 3,487 Posts

im suprised dave or steelersdepot is pushing this "story" now, sice suggs chopping him at the knees was reported as the source of his injury as soon as he was missing from the next game.

ravens did the same thing to the steelers in the 1st game last season when they blew us out 35-whatever.

it would only be fitting if suggs injury was season ending.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

is suggs supposed to take someone who outweighs him by 50-60 lbs head on? going low was what he had to do, colon should have really expected that to be coming.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,181 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
is suggs supposed to take someone who outweighs him by 50-60 lbs head on? going low was what he had to do, colon should have really expected that to be coming.
its a totally legal play on suckggs part. colon didnt even see it coming which makes suggs play even greater and more mvp calibur.

i commend roger goodell for fining players for helmet to helmet hits, hitting qb's below the thigh, and wanting to eliminate kickoffs to make the game "safer" and prevent injuries.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
its a totally legal play on suckggs part. colon didnt even see it coming which makes suggs play even greater and more mvp calibur.

i commend roger goodell for fining players for helmet to helmet hits, hitting qb's below the thigh, and wanting to eliminate kickoffs to make the game "safer" and prevent injuries.
i'll agree with that, low hits can be even more devastating and career threatening, but i'm sure goodell won't address those kinda hits until there's a NFL paraplegic union lol
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,976 Times in 4,653 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

no shit, Goodell is such a hypocrite it's ridiculous...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
12+88=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2258

i thought that play was illegal. i hought you weren't allowed to go through the blockers legs or go low on them to get to the ball carrier.

remember SB40? hasselback was called for a penalty trying to tackle ike after he threw a int. the penalty was for going low on the blocker. and i'm pretty sure i've seen it called in other games before.
12+88=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
suggs did what he was supposed to do on that play. if you cant get to the runner, take out the blocker so someone else can make the tackle

as much as i hate suggs, he did a good job on that play. and of course he'd go low. 270lbs vs 320, giving up 50 lbs and taking the bigger man head on will get you manhandled, look at what happened to vontaze burfict when he tried to meet colon head on
I disagree and having played football for over 10 years, we were told to stay away from the knees! In suggs situation, he could have tied up Colon to free up another defender in many different ways! They can flag this even easier than a hold!