Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,696 Times in 8,612 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
good thing we got rid of his ass...
Well...
The Steelers begged Rod to play FS. Rod was adamant that he could still play CB. After a failed year in SF, he finally agreed to play FS... for the Ravens. (Ugh)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #42
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Indeed.
Rod was the complete package: cover skills, ball skills, big plays, tackling ability, desire, leadership...
Every time I hear people say Deion Sanders is the best cornerback ever, I get sick to my stomach. Woodson had elite cover skills, terrific ball skills, great hands, hit like a truck, great return man, great leader, played multiple positions at All-Pro level, could play with absolute ferocity and affect any game with his physicality and his smarts. Sanders had complete disregard for anything other than coverage skills and interceptions. He was half the player of Woodson. If I could start an all-time dream team secondary, it would start with Mel Blount and Rod Woodson. Throw in Ronnie Lott and Troy and you would have a nearly All-Steeler All-Time secondary. How would you like to be a receiver waiting to see who was going to hit you next. That's if you could even get open once in a while. Deion Sanders........would let ball carriers run by him so he didn't have to hit them, he could just jump on their back or push them out of bounds. Pathetic.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-13-2013), teegre (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #43
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Every time I hear people say Deion Sanders is the best cornerback ever, I get sick to my stomach. Woodson had elite cover skills, terrific ball skills, great hands, hit like a truck, great return man, great leader, played multiple positions at All-Pro level, could play with absolute ferocity and affect any game with his physicality and his smarts. Sanders had complete disregard for anything other than coverage skills and interceptions. He was half the player of Woodson. If I could start an all-time dream team secondary, it would start with Mel Blount and Rod Woodson. Throw in Ronnie Lott and Troy and you would have a nearly All-Steeler All-Time secondary. How would you like to be a receiver waiting to see who was going to hit you next. That's if you could even get open once in a while. Deion Sanders........would let ball carriers run by him so he didn't have to hit them, he could just jump on their back or push them out of bounds. Pathetic.
Say what you want but with Prime Time, the ball didn't even get thrown to his side of the field. No other back commanded that kind of respect in the game. Teams didn't even go there with him. If they did there was always a high probability of a pic six from anywhere on the field.

Got to give the dude his props.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #44
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Say what you want but with Prime Time, the ball didn't even get thrown to his side of the field. No other back commanded that kind of respect in the game. Teams didn't even go there with him. If they did there was always a high probability of a pic six from anywhere on the field.

Got to give the dude his props.
He was a great cover guy. I'm not disputing that. He was not a complete football player. The players I list above as my dream secondary would be superstars in any era of football ever played or that will be played. Before 1970, when the running game was 80% of a teams offense, Sanders would not even be a starter in the league. You want the definition of dominant? Have a rule change made exclusively to stop you, because you are basically Superman in the secondary. Mel Blount was so dominant, that the league made a rule change just to limit HIS effectiveness.......and he was still great after the rule that was put in place to stop him. THAT is commanding respect in the game. Receivers were afraid to line up against him, and couldn't get open. He'd hit you so hard, yo momma could feel it!
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote