Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #41
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: The Steelers, playoff caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I've noticed the exact same thing...going on 2 years now. At times it looks like the defense just got out of bed and are looking for their morning coffee - practically yawning.
maybe Hardass Mike is wearing them out in no-pads practice
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #42
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
and Rivers exposed another part of that "blueprint" as well. Pass to the OUTside - not inside.
actually brandon weeden and the browns can get credit for this.

i believe it was pat kirwan, the day after the browns loss, who pointed out how the browns made a concerted effort to target the outside and to expect all other teams who faced the steelers #1 pass defense for the remainder of the season, to do so as well.

the chargers did so. (ravens were too dumb to, and probably a main reason cam cameron was fired today).

dallas and the bungles will look at this as well, so you know lebeau and the secondary coach are going back to the drawing board, especially with taylor out.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

a confession

maybe I was too high on Worilds, bring back the 295 lb run stuffer, Woodley
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Playoff caliber? Of course and we ALL should thank Ben Roethlisberger for that! This dude is a downright TERMINATOR. Too bad he has to run for his damn life while doing it but nonetheless, Big Ben is our only hope!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #45
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Team in transition, simple as that. The offense is young and improving, the defense needs a dominant pass rusher, and a little help elsewhere.

The offense is new and needs time to bed in. The talent is there on the o-line it's just never healthy.

I think the two things this team needs most clearly are a real every down type back, because this RBBC will never get it done week in week out. We need a feature back, simple as. We also need someone who can actually get to the QB, our sacks are all really coverage sacks, Harrison is too slow now, and Woodley is far too fat/hurt all the time, to get consistent pressure.

Get a feature back, get a pass rusher and we're good to go.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #46
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Team in transition, simple as that. The offense is young and improving, the defense needs a dominant pass rusher, and a little help elsewhere.

The offense is new and needs time to bed in. The talent is there on the o-line it's just never healthy.

I think the two things this team needs most clearly are a real every down type back, because this RBBC will never get it done week in week out. We need a feature back, simple as. We also need someone who can actually get to the QB, our sacks are all really coverage sacks, Harrison is too slow now, and Woodley is far too fat/hurt all the time, to get consistent pressure.

Get a feature back, get a pass rusher and we're good to go.
Unfortunately, we're way over the cap next year and will have to flush a ton of vets that are still playing. That's going to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well Tomlin and Colbert have drafted recently, especially on defense.

Quite possible that Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Foote, and Taylor are all gone next year. If they were all hurt now, are you comfortable with their backups?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...cap-situation/
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Ed.B. of the P-G shares his thoughts

They have consistently lost to bad teams, as they did in 2009. If they do not make the playoffs this season, that will be twice in four seasons, and also leave just one season in the past four in which they’ve won a playoff game. Maybe they’re just not that good and many of us overrated them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...to-new-england
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #48
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Unfortunately, we're way over the cap next year and will have to flush a ton of vets that are still playing. That's going to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well Tomlin and Colbert have drafted recently, especially on defense.

Quite possible that Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Foote, and Taylor are all gone next year. If they were all hurt now, are you comfortable with their backups?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...cap-situation/
I think there's guys we can get rid of, Harrison for one. Probably Hasmpton too. But I know the cap situation will be bad again, and we don;t sign FA's anyway. I never even get interested in FA because I know we will do nothing.

Who was the last major FA we signed?

I'm probably not comfortable with their backups, but what do you do? keep overpaying past it veterans?

We could resolve the Wallace situation, we could dump Redman who serves no purpose, and of course Spinthenfall should be gone. I'm in favour of getting a RB who can do it all, I can't stand this RBBC nonsense.

To me the bigger issue is the clown in the sunglasses, no-one can tell me what he brings to the table, and as if that were not enough, he cannot manage a game. His team comes out way too flat way too often. We have all seen it.

But I know he will be back.

I like the offense, it just needs a feature back, FWP looks like AP to me right now. There's a ton of good YOUNG talent on the line, they just need to gel and stay healthy, Starks is the oldest guy at 31.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #49
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,671 Times in 10,410 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
I think there's guys we can get rid of, Harrison for one. Probably Hasmpton too. But I know the cap situation will be bad again, and we don;t sign FA's anyway. I never even get interested in FA because I know we will do nothing.

Who was the last major FA we signed?

I'm probably not comfortable with their backups, but what do you do? keep overpaying past it veterans?

We could resolve the Wallace situation, we could dump Redman who serves no purpose, and of course Spinthenfall should be gone. I'm in favour of getting a RB who can do it all, I can't stand this RBBC nonsense.

To me the bigger issue is the clown in the sunglasses, no-one can tell me what he brings to the table, and as if that were not enough, he cannot manage a game. His team comes out way too flat way too often. We have all seen it.

But I know he will be back.

I like the offense, it just needs a feature back, FWP looks like AP to me right now. There's a ton of good YOUNG talent on the line, they just need to gel and stay healthy, Starks is the oldest guy at 31.
After Starks (31) & The Colon (27), the rest if them are yoooung.

Adams, DD: 22
Beachum, Gilbert, Pouncey: 23
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #50
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
After Starks (31) & The Colon (27), the rest if them are yoooung.

Adams, DD: 22
Beachum, Gilbert, Pouncey: 23
And 27 is not old. If he could stay healthy Colon could play 5 more years minimum.

Even Legursky who can play a bit is only about 26-27.

They don't actually need help, they need health.

The defense is more of a WIP, but even in transition it's as good as a defense is allowed to be these days, just lacks TO's and QB pressure.

We need a feature back so badly IMO, if the Rooney's want a strong ground game, then get us a real back.