Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Tomlin on why he didn't go for a 2pt-conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Lets do some math:

After Wallace's second TD, the score is 34-16. Kicking an extra point makes it 34-17, which is still a 3 possession game. Keep in mind, Tomlin said the Steelers are "competitors." Getting a two-point conversion makes it 34-18, which makes it a two possession game. If the Steelers would have gotten a two-point conversion after the Brown TD, it would have been 34-26, which is only a one possession lead. At that point there was 58 seconds left in the game. The Steelers, being the "competitors" that they are, could've gone for an on-side kick. Had they recovered the on-side kick, they may have had time to get the TD and game-tying two-point conversion, thus making it 34-34.

Obviously, two-point conversions and on-side kicks are no certainty. But the Steelers are "competitors." Don't competitors do everything they can to win a game? Or do they concede and not try to narrow the point deficit, but still keep Ben in the game?
That's a lot of If's you have there. None of them happened, though, and we lost by 10 points, making all that shit irrelevant. We could have made 3 conversions, and we still lose. Pointless.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #32
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
That's a lot of If's you have there. None of them happened, though, and we lost by 10 points, making all that shit irrelevant. We could have made 3 conversions, and we still lose. Pointless.
I made clear that two-point conversions and on-side kicks aren't a certainty, but that's not the point. The point is they need to TRY, especially if Tomlin is going to keep his starting QB in under the mantra that the Steelers are "competitors."
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #33
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

"Until we stopped them, it was going to be insignificant. I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays, we didn't want to put on tope unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn't."

This is precisely the sort of thing that Shakespeare was referring to by "A tale told by an idiot".

This guy Tomlin is in over his head and he knows it.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #34
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Major rip on Tomlin in the Trib-Review

Kovacevic: Tomlin's tough talk too late

Silent, stone-faced and almost motionless, Mike Tomlin stood inside the double-doors of the Steelers’ locker room to shake hands with every player, as he always does.

Not a syllable exchanged.

And once the last of them crossed — it was Mike Wallace, fittingly, given his late arrival to the game itselfTomlin pulled those doors shut and began barking, loud enough to be heard from here to San Diego.

I don’t know what all he wound up saying and, in all honesty, couldn’t care less

Not after the Steelers had just been … not beaten, but smoked by a 6-8 San Diego outfit, 34-24, on Sunday at Heinz Field....

And most shamefully, smoked in the same season as similar losses to Oakland, Tennessee and Cleveland....

...this is far too many lousy losses to think it could be anyone else’s fault but the man in charge....

This is on Tomlin, front to finish

It starts with preparation, always the coach’s domain. Sure, as I’d heard, Brett Keisel gave a rousing pregame speech in which he warned teammates, “If we don’t come out to play, this team can beat us!” But when a green player such as Curtis Brown confesses afterward that he “probably drunk the wine a little bit” after Baltimore and “didn’t prepare well enough,” the coaching staff must see it and act on it.

That’s not something you find out Sunday.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2EcH5gr5u

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
SteeleReign (12-09-2012), ZoneBlitzer (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Obviously Mike Tomlin likes the word "obviously".
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

This Tomlin circus has become tiresome. I'm tired of all the tough talk. Tired of the trite and hollow colloquialisms. His legacy is becoming that of a coach that makes critical mistakes and gets frequently out-coached by "lesser" coaches.

We need a coach that makes the players' assholes pucker when he walks in the room. If that is Tomlin, then that's fine by me. But this players coach crap has got to go.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #37
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

@Atlanta Dan. Good read. The more I think about it, the more it becomes clear just how mediocre of a football coach this guy is. I don't see change under him. I just see bad trends that don't seem to get corrected - turnovers, bad offense and getting owned by weaker opponents.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #38
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
This Tomlin circus has become tiresome. I'm tired of all the tough talk. Tired of the trite and hollow colloquialisms. His legacy is becoming that of a coach that makes critical mistakes and gets frequently out-coached by "lesser" coaches.

We need a coach that makes the players' assholes pucker when he walks in the room. If that is Tomlin, then that's fine by me. But this players coach crap has got to go.
Other than from each other on this forum and others like it, where does everyone get this idea that Tomlin is a "players coach"? Nothing I have ever read anywhere (except here) leads me to believe that Tomlin is chummy with anyone on the team. And again, do all of you people crawl under your rocks when the team wins? Was Tomlin "in over his head" when he beat a 9-2 Ravens team in Baltimore with his third-string, 80-year-old QB?

How do you people manage to survive during weeks when the team wins? You must feel completely lost when we win. Life is suddenly devoid of meaning.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #39
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

I can't believe this uproar over a two-point conversion. Those in the media are always looking for something to play-up in order to keep people's attention. Don't forget, it wasn't exactly ideal conditions that the Steelers were playing in. It has been raining for several days and we all know that field does not stand up well to inclement weather. If the condition of the field was indeed a factor in his decision, it would be a topic that Tomlin would want to avoid bringing up in the media. There are, also, many other factors that come into play when deciding whether to go for a two-point conversion, or not.
I am more concerned about some of the bad decisions on offense and why the team came out flat.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #40
lotas
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1176

What a shitty coach, I bet he's never even taken us to the Superbowl....twice
lotas is offline   Reply With Quote