Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #81
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Tomlin on why he didn't go for a 2pt-conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasguy View Post
You guys act like I am talking about the Super Bowl. This coach can't even win more games than the pathetic Ravens, Browns and Bengals and his has all these magnificent draft picks to his name.
You're mistaking this for the AFC East. It's not like we're the Patriots playing Brady against the Jets, Phins, and Bills for 6 free wins every season. The AFC North is no shit, man. There's a reason we sent three of our division teams to the playoffs a year ago.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #82
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

They might as well just turn this into the, never-ending, fire Tomlin thread.
If anything, they do give Tomlin more credit than what he is due. They tout him as one of the top head coaches in the league. The truth is, he took over a team that was just one season removed from a Super Bowl victory. The general manager, the scouts, and the front office that built that team were already in place when he arrived. Dick Lebeau was already here. And, I doubt that Tomlin had full control over the hiring of the assistant coaches that were brought in when he took over.
Everything was in place, or put in place for him. It was like somebody gave him the keys to a customized automobile, and all he had to do was drive it. It was not like Tomlin came in here, and took over a team that was 1-15... put in his system, his coaches, and built a winner from nothing. Chuck Knoll did that, but Tomlin hasn't. Therefore, Mike Tomlin is still unproven as a head coach. And, he may never get the chance to prove himself in that manner. With the Steelers, his role as Head Coach seems to be more like that of a field manager in baseball. Under the Rooneys, he is forced to give up much authority to Kevin Colbert, and even his coordinators. So, when this team goes sour, you gotta look at more than just the head coach.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #83
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

I'm alright with the decision not to go for 2, because at the time we had enough time to tie the game if you add in a FG. At that point we were barely getting anything done, so I also would've been playing conservative football, and simply trying to tie it.
Steel Peon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #84
jb500ex
Banned

Member Number: 24020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
More of this Cowher shit. Some of Tomlins draft picks...

Woodley, Timmons, Pouncey, Mendenhall, Lewis, Hood, Gilbert, Heyward, Brown, Worilds, Wallace, Sanders. Take note that this list is also the majority of our best performing players. Who exactly is left from Cowher that's been a star? Polamalu plays about 10 quarters a year. Ben, obviously. Clark and Ike. Then there's...well....uhhh....right.
hate to break it to you but thats not a great list after 5 years. timmons average to bottom half ilb, mendy lmfao, lewis is finally showing signs, hood like timmons not worth a 1st rnd pick, worilds are you kidding 2 good games in his career, wallace is good but he is even going down and sanders hasnt done shit. so if this is what you have to defend homeboy it shows why we suck against anyone at anytime
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jb500ex For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #85
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
hate to break it to you but thats not a great list after 5 years. timmons average to bottom half ilb, mendy lmfao, lewis is finally showing signs, hood like timmons not worth a 1st rnd pick, worilds are you kidding 2 good games in his career, wallace is good but he is even going down and sanders hasnt done shit. so if this is what you have to defend homeboy it shows why we suck against anyone at anytime
Great enough to be the #1 Defense in the league, and going to the playoffs yet again. Also great enough for Tomlin to beat Cowher to the 60 win mark as HC and be on track to have a way better W-L record than Cowher. Haters gonna hate, though.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #86
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

^ All that, plus Woodley was a rookie in '06, so that means Cowher was his first coach. If I were to start naming players who absence from our roster is affecting our team, (and drafted during the Cowher years) I'd start with Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, and James Farrior. Then I'd throw in Santonio Holmes for gee whiz's sake.
Steel Peon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #87
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,650 Times in 8,939 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasguy View Post
It's not that I don't like certain ethnicity. When the Rooney Rule was forced upon the league by our brilliant owners we had Bill Cowher as the coach. It was easy for the Rooney's to tell 31 other owners we need to hire more minority head coaches in the NFL because Cowher wasnt' going anywhere, anytime soon.

After Cowher decided to leave it was pretty apparent we were going to hire a minority as the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers come hell or high water. The Rooney's were not going to look like hypocrites by hiring some white guy like they did Cowher and Noll.

How else do you explain why we only interviewed Ken Whisenhunt, Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin? Are you kidding me? This is the head coaching job of the Pittsburgh Steelers and this was all you had to choose from? Even the Cowboys with the micro manager Jerry Jones would have 20 guys wanting the job.

Mike Tomlin was a nobody who had one year of defensive coordinator experience and a horrific pass defense to boot. But he was black and he was our guy that's all that mattered. The Rooney's knew with the team we had that they could try and groom someone into the position. It worked early because the players were young, hungry and athletic. Now that they are getting older, lazy and replaced we need a coach and the problem is we never hired one.
FYI: Ron Rivera was not (& is still not) white.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #88
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
^ All that, plus Woodley was a rookie in '06, so that means Cowher was his first coach. If I were to start naming players who absence from our roster is affecting our team, (and drafted during the Cowher years) I'd start with Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, and James Farrior. Then I'd throw in Santonio Holmes for gee whiz's sake.
Woodley was the 46th pick in 2007. The team seemed to feel Foote was a better choice than Farrior. I solidly disagreed with that. I missed Ward at first, but think Brown will more than replace him. Smith...well, no replacement possible there.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #89
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,650 Times in 8,939 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Great enough to be the #1 Defense in the league, and going to the playoffs yet again. Also great enough for Tomlin to beat Cowher to the 60 win mark as HC and be on track to have a way better W-L record than Cowher. Haters gonna hate, though.
I concur.

I loved Cowher, but if we are going to talk about inheriting a team...

Cowher inhereted Greg Lloyd, Barry Foster, Eric Green, Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Ernie Mills, Carlton Haselrig, Dermontti Dawson, John Jackson, Justin Strylzyck, Gary Jones, Jerrol Williams, Gerald Williams, Thomas Everett, Meril Hoge, Hardy Nickerson... and went to the AFCCG in 1994 and the SuperBowl with Noll's players.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #90
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

His reasoning goes against his entire coaching philosophy and tells me a lot about why played so bad...poor coaching and lousy preparation.