Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
RuHappy69
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19796
Default Is Ziggy Hood officially a bust?

Yes, he is a started but it's almost by default since Smith retired. His production as a #1 pick has been abysmal and I never see anything out of him when I watch every game. Why not give Al Woods the shot and maybe send a message to the rest of the team.
RuHappy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,720 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Is Ziggy Hood officially a bust?

i don't think he's a bust, he looks pretty good out there at times. Early in the season, the whole D-line was looking pretty weak, but they have come on in the last few games.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

I think he's improved a bit, her's a starter on the #1 ranked defense, he doesn't make splash plays, but he must be pretty solid to keep his job.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Why is there also such a rush or desire to call players "busts" on this forum?

So far this season we've had to endure threads/posts calling LeBeau a fraud, Timmons a bust, some unknown backup QB our best backup, old backups better than our starter, our top CB a waste, our #1 defense smoke and mirrors, our coaches and front offices idiots, and I guess just about every player we have has been called a bust on here.

I get sometimes it's venting and that's cool, but really?

As far as Ziggy or the rest of our DL: DL don't make many splash plays in Dick's defense. Sure, he's not Smith, but Smith is likely the best ever at that position so NO ONE is Smith. But there were still many, many games where Smith was a key to the defenses success and his name was never called by the talking heads. Without watching film, it's hard to tell how well he is actually doing...
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera176 View Post
Why is there also such a rush or desire to call players "busts" on this forum?

So far this season we've had to endure threads/posts calling LeBeau a fraud, Timmons a bust, some unknown backup QB our best backup, old backups better than our starter, our top CB a waste, our #1 defense smoke and mirrors, our coaches and front offices idiots, and I guess just about every player we have has been called a bust on here.

I get sometimes it's venting and that's cool, but really?

As far as Ziggy or the rest of our DL: DL don't make many splash plays in Dick's defense. Sure, he's not Smith, but Smith is likely the best ever at that position so NO ONE is Smith. But there were still many, many games where Smith was a key to the defenses success and his name was never called by the talking heads. Without watching film, it's hard to tell how well he is actually doing...
And, it's equally as likely that Ziggy HAS been a bust to this point. He's a first round pick with a ton of experience in LeBeau's complicated defense. As far as I'm concerned, these last 4 games & playoffs are his chance to change his "bust" status.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,720 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
And, it's equally as likely that Ziggy HAS been a bust to this point. He's a first round pick with a ton of experience in LeBeau's complicated defense. As far as I'm concerned, these last 4 games & playoffs are his chance to change his "bust" status.
what does Ziggy need to show in the next few games to show you that he deserves his spot and is not a bust?
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts

People want our DE's to play like Watt and Justin Smith but don't realize that in our scheme, Ziggy is doing exactly what is being asked of him. He's not going to get 15+ sacks, but he's getting consistent pressure on the left side. Is he playing at an elite level? No, but as others have said, he's playing well enough to keep his job right now on an elite defense.

Did he warrant a first round pick? Probably not, but I don't think "bust" is the right label here. Even underachiever seems a little harsh.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,079 Posts

The guy was a late 1st round pick. He plays a position on this team that is designed to eat up 2 blockers so that the LB's can make plays. He looked pretty good in beating Osemele last weekend for a sack and is relentless in pusuit.

For you posters out there with a need to call him a bust, go ahead. I dont think he is playing any better or worse than Keisel, Heyward are and I think he is doing what a 5-technique should on the #1 defense in the NFL.

Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey......you can chalk up as busts.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The guy was a late 1st round pick. He plays a position on this team that is designed to eat up 2 blockers so that the LB's can make plays. He looked pretty good in beating Osemele last weekend for a sack and is relentless in pusuit.

For you posters out there with a need to call him a bust, go ahead. I dont think he is playing any better or worse than Keisel, Heyward are and I think he is doing what a 5-technique should on the #1 defense in the NFL.

Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey......you can chalk up as busts.
Defintely, add that Amobi Okoye too, big hyped workout warrior, has done absolutely nothing.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

If he was a bust he wouldn't be a starter and get so much playing time.
A "bit of a disappointment" for a 1st rounder sounds more accurate.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote