Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Penguins pick Malkin skates out on his Russian club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I think the Penguins took my advice about sending in a Special Ops force headed by Sid.......I'll be damned.

*pictures that baby faced kid in camo.....*

Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Sports terrorism?

Someone needs to tell people that the word terrorism has lost all of it's meaning now that it's being used every 5 minutes on Fox News.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
Sports terrorism?

Someone needs to tell people that the word terrorism has lost all of it's meaning now that it's being used every 5 minutes on Fox News.

true dat.....
Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

This story just gets more bizarre every day. I really do feel for the kid, especially since now his family could very well be at the mercy of the Russian mafia. If he is coming over here and signs a contract, he needs to get them out of the country ASAP.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
This story just gets more bizarre every day. I really do feel for the kid, especially since now his family could very well be at the mercy of the Russian mafia. If he is coming over here and signs a contract, he needs to get them out of the country ASAP.
Good point X-T...this isnt being handled well at all....and things may get stranger before they get better....
Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm not really buying into the Russian mafia theory. I've heard it thrown around a good bit in this city since the Malkin saga began and I just think that's way out there. If that was the case; meaning Malkin could choose to play in Russia or defect and have his family tortured and killed I would have to believe Malkin would choose to stay in Russia.

On that note, I can't name one Russian hockey player in recent memory who hasn’t come to the NHL given opportunity. I don’t recall Mrs. Bure, Mrs. Fedorov, Mrs. Mogilny or Mrs. Kovalev being whacked on a street corner in downtown Moscow.

If anything, I feel it was direct pressure from the Russian hockey federation. He's a young kid. Inside a country which is not exactly the poster child of democracy. Did not exactly want to leave his homeland on bad terms but the Russian hockey federation pushed him to that edge and he jumped.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-14-2006 at 08:32 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I'm not really buying into the Russian mafia theory. I've heard it thrown around a good bit in this city since the Malkin saga began and I just think that's way out there. If that was the case; meaning Malkin could choose to play in Russia or defect and have his family tortured and killed I would have to believe Malkin would choose to stay in Russia.

On that note, I can't name one Russian hockey player in recent memory who hasn’t come to the NHL given opportunity. I don’t recall Mrs. Bure, Mrs. Fedorov, Mrs. Mogilny or Mrs. Kovalev being whacked on a street corner in downtown Moscow.

If anything, I feel it was direct pressure from the Russian hockey federation. He's a young kid. Inside a country which is not exactly the poster child of democracy. Did not exactly want to leave his homeland on bad terms but the Russian hockey federation pushed him to that edge and he jumped.
It's actually a fact that the Russian mafia controls the Russian Superleague and pretty much everything else over there. There's also been speculation that Velichkin himself has ties to them. Now they may not harm his family, but they likely are the driving force behind this - plus, if you're Malkin, do you really want to take the chance that they MIGHT threaten them or pressure them? That's why he needs to get them out of the country. Do you recall Ovechkin having this much trouble last season when he came over here? He was in the same situation as Malkin - had a couple years left on his contract with his RSL team, turned in his resignation and then signed with the Caps. There wasn't anywhere near this much drama involved with him, other than his RSL team attempting to sue the NHL and it getting thrown out of court. Why now is Malkin having so much trouble? Answer: GREED.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #18
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm not denying the Russia mob has it's hand inside pockets. But I don't believe it's on the level that some may think. Normally when this topic comes up people automatically feel Mr. and Mrs. Malkin are going to get whacked while shopping for groceries on a sunny Sunday afternoon if Malkin decided to defect and play with the Penguins.

In my opinion, this decision came down to one person. Malkin. He made it and with the exception of the relations between Russia and North America becoming more strained when it comes to hockey, I don't see the whacking of Malkin or his family members in the near future. In fact, I see Mrs. Malkin wearing nice fur coats and drinking the best vodka the world has to offer in the near future.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-14-2006 at 08:50 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The ghost of Ronnie on Malkin's MIA status....

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Don't underestimate the power of the Russian Mafia. The Redfellas are much smarter and more ruthless than La Cosa Nostra ever was or will be. There probably isn't much chance that his mother or family will be murdered. But the threat of violence is more than enough to convince him to pay, say 10%, of his salary to the Redfellas to ensure their saftey.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote