Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins pick Malkin skates out on his Russian club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
Don't underestimate the power of the Russian Mafia. The Redfellas are much smarter and more ruthless than La Cosa Nostra ever was or will be.

Not to take this off topic...

More ruthless? Sure. They will kill your family members (wife and kids). Smarter? I disagree. LCN to this day is more organized not only in the states but throughout the globe compared to the Russian mob and I'm willing to bet they pull in more cash on yearly basis. The Russian is mob large and powerful, but they are not on the same level as LCN.

Also, by no means am I underestimating them. I just don't recall other NHL players parents being killed or beaten up nor have I heard any type of evidence stating that Malkin or his family have been threatened.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-14-2006 at 12:39 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #22
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

LCN to this day is more organized not only in the states but throughout the globe compared to the Russian mob and I'm willing to bet they pull in more cash on yearly basis.

Most people who work in law enforcement and deal with organized crime will tell you that the Redfellas are far and away smarter than La Cosa Nostra ever was or will be.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
LCN to this day is more organized not only in the states but throughout the globe compared to the Russian mob and I'm willing to bet they pull in more cash on yearly basis.

Most people who work in law enforcement and deal with organized crime will tell you that the Redfellas are far and away smarter than La Cosa Nostra ever was or will be.
After reading many books on both parties, I'd like to sit down and have a talk with them....lol.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Is this what Velichkin meant by democracy?

Malkin's parents say he was pressured in Russia
Tuesday, August 15, 2006

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The foreign intrigue surrounding Evgeni Malkin grew so cloak-and-dagger yesterday that even Interpol was invoked by one of the parties.

It was a day when the Penguins prospect's father talked openly about how his son "snapped." A day when his mother and others portrayed him as a troubled young man pressured into making a 3 a.m. deal with his Russian team a week ago. A day when Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar compared the kid's flight to the Iron Curtain defections of Alexander Mogilny and Sergei Fedorov a decade and a half earlier. A day when the Metallurg Magnitogorsk general director accused the Penguins and the NHL of crimes against the hockey world, calling this "the theft of the century," even with 94 years still to go.

And this was only Day 3 of The Heck with Carmen Sandiego, Where In the World is Evgeni Malkin?

Speaking of his whereabouts, speculation has centered upon Toronto, where his agents, Pat Brisson and J.P. Barry, have an auxiliary office and where one Russian tabloid reported that a fellow resembling Malkin had been spotted. Reportedly, station MTV3 in Finland, where Metallurg is playing in a tournament, quoted a tournament official yesterday as saying that Malkin left Helsinki-Vantaa airport on a plane Saturday bound for New York.

What remains certain is that Malkin, who turned 20 on July 31, left Metallurg behind Saturday at an airport in Finland, where the team began training, and likely headed to North America to commence his legal march toward the Penguins. Conceivably, he could hunker in seclusion for a two-week wait, the mandatory period in Russian law under which he can inform his employers he is leaving.

"I can tell you I think he is safe, but I cannot comment on anything else," agent Brisson told The Associated Press.

Gennady Velichkin, the Metallurg team boss, certainly didn't hesitate to comment. He told Soviet Sport:

"How am I supposed to look for him? What, am I supposed to ask Interpol to look for him? Is it not clear that Evgeni left for America at the invitation of the people overseas? The Americans' arrogance is beyond any bounds. This is the theft of the century. They don't care that Malkin is Russia's national treasure.

"We must sue not only Pittsburgh but the entire National Hockey League and its whole arrogance. The NHL must receive a total condemnation from the entire sporting world. Let's get back to the question of the compensation. ... Money is not most important for us. The most important [aspect] for us is to get a precedent and win the case."

However, in the case of players who reached American soil, such as Ovechkin and Columbus' Nikolai Zherdev, the legal maneuvering by Russian hockey authorities held no sway in U.S. courts. However, Malkin, unlike in those cases, has a new contract in place. The circumstances under which he agreed to that deal, though, remain in debate.

He signed last week in the early hours of the morning, after a plea from the Metallurg corporation president, Viktor Rashnikov, if not from others in a sport long influenced across Russia by the mafia there. "He simply wanted to play in the NHL," Natalia Malkin told the Sport Gazeta. "But the management of Metallurg played on his patriotic feelings. He was not able to refuse." After that Godfather-esque comment, Malkin's mother added that her son left for Finland "very disgruntled." She continued, without specifying who, "I still feel that others used my son for their purposes."

Malkin's father, Vladimir, told Komsomolskaya Pravda: "My son simply snapped, his nerves did not hold on. In the last moment, they persuaded him to stay in Magnitka, though his mind was already in the NHL. I understand him, but I don't support him. It was a childish act. Before I give my final assessment, I need to talk to him personally." The parents said they've tried to contact him, but his cellular phone is turned off.

NHL vice president Bill Daly, in an e-mail interview yesterday, intimated about Malkin's one-year Metallurg contract -- hastily negotiated down from his previous two-year deal -- when he said, "The days of involuntary servitude are behind us. We certainly respect the player's ability to make personal choices consistent with his rights and obligations under applicable law. And it certainly doesn't surprise us that he wants to play in the NHL. At the end of the day, players are going to play where they want to play."

Daly added that this Malkin matter might lead to Russia at last agreeing to the NHL's transfer agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation, whose president, Rene Fasel, spoke with Daly by telephone yesterday.

"We did discuss Malkin among a host of other things," Daly wrote. "We are hopeful that, in light of what has transpired, it may create an opportunity to sit down at an early date and negotiate the terms of a new Player Transfer Agreement that the Russians will participate in."

The Russians refused to sign the past two contracts mostly because many of them believed a player of Malkin's ability would be worth more than $200,000 that the current agreement stipulates.

So continued a topsy-turvy week for Malkin. First, his then-agent, Don Meehan, expressed his client's desires to play for the Penguins this season. Then Malkin fired Meehan, who represented him for barely two months. Then he signed that early morning deal with Metallurg. Then he rehired Brisson and Barry. Then he fled Finland, passports and personal belongings in tow.

"You know what, there'd be lots to say, but I don't think it would really be my place," Meehan said yesterday by phone from his suburban-Toronto office. "If you wanted to get an update on the process, you'd be better off talking to Mr. Barry and Mr. Brisson."

Neither returned calls from the Post-Gazette, though Barry's Calgary office reported that he was "on vacation." Penguins officials continued to decline comment.

Gonchar, a lockout teammate of Malkin's in Magnitogorsk two years ago and on the Russian Olympic team in February, told the Sport Express while summering in St. Petersburg: "It appears the times have changed [since Mogilny and Fedorov defected in 1991], but they haven't changed enough. Otherwise, why would Evgeni do the same thing? It's his right, which all of us have. ... It seems strange that he signed his contract with Metallurg at 3 o'clock in the morning. As far as I know, documents like these don't get signed at such a time. So judging by these rumors, the player has reasons to do what he did."

Perhaps the most reasoned response came from the legendary goaltender who heads the Russian Hockey Federation, Vladislav Tretiak: "Why did things need to end up in a scandal?"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06227/713590-61.stm
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 AM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Location of Penguins prospect Malkin is a big secret
Iron curtain of secrecy, new twist in plot worthy of Tolstoy

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The information legs of the Malkin Mystery, a non-fiction Russian novel set not in the fierce winter but the stupor of August, disappeared into minutia and speculation yesterday. The only version that counts now is buried in secrecy with the secret inner circle -- the capitalist agents and the prized talent.

Not exactly War And Peace or War? What Is It Good For? or even a decent Rocky and Bullwinkle series -- but the age of instant information demands instant gratification, and nobody has heard from the inner circle, which all of a sudden quit answering their cell phones and haven't bothered to update. Oh, and there is the involvement of money, the root of all evil even in the days of ethics. Add the threats of using the all-American outlet of legal action vowed by an aggrieved hockey concern -- Metallurg Magnitogorsk translates into Steelers -- which feels like it should get more money. The Cold War officially is over. Russians demand their share of the fruits of free-market freedoms. Truth was the first casualty and the last casualty.

So the thin thread of information that began to explode Saturday, gleaned from phone interviews with people with knowledge and web sites carrying snippets of detail, demands a fitting climax. This is the Information Age, where the lack of reliable facts pains liked a sprained ankle on a beach vacation. This much is known:

He is safe with his agents, completely secluded behind a wall of silence. There's a two-week timetable that will feel like the eternity of the Russian winter as it plays out, exhausting those who endure it because people want to know. Except it's August.

He had a Canadian visa in his passport before he left for training camp, and he's most likely squirreled away in Toronto where his agents, despite reports from the Calgary office about a vacation, can only let him skate in secret for so long before words leaks out.

From the Penguins' point of view -- and they could teach the State Department tips on avoiding involvement in a slippery situation by the way they've washed their hands of it -- Malkin provides a topnotch center behind Sidney Crosby. He almost surely will make them a better team, and his presence might give them an outside shot at a playoff spot.

This complex plot is set against a backdrop of a franchise for sale and in need of resolution to an arena issue. But no Russian team that lost a player through defection or contractual maneuvering has won court attempts to get the players back, either.

Where's Anton Chekhov, Woodward and Bernstein when you need them?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06228/713823-61.stm
Old 08-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #26
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

And the saga continues.....

Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #27
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Man...you sure this isn't coming out of Hollywood or something? I haven't seen this much drama surrounding an NHL player since Alexander Mogilny...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #28
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=174392&hubname=

Quote:
Malkin files resignation with Russian club

Evgeni Malkin has officially sent his resignation to Metallurg Magnitogorsk, TSN has confirmed.

Malkin has been at the center of a huge international storm since leaving his Russian team on the weekend.

Mettallurg Magnitogorsk coach Dave King told the FAN 590 in Toronto on Wednesday morning that a fax was received by the team that indicated Malkin was exercising his "two-week window rights" to re-sign. Russian law allows any employee to leave an employer, even while under contract, simply by giving two weeks notice.

King said he did not know where Malkin was, but speculated that he was staying with Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin somewhere in the United States. Ovechkin, however, is in Toronto and told TSN he had not spoken to Malkin in a couple of weeks.

"Everyone wants to be in the best place, in the best league," Ovechkin told TSN. "It's his decision. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it's his decision."

Malkin's agents have only said that their client is safe.

Sources told TSN that Malkin is not in Toronto, but is stationed at an undisclosed location in the United States.

TSN has confirmed that Malkin, through his representation, has indeed served notice that he will not be returning, and provided Metallurg Magnitogorsk the obligatory two week notification required in writing under Russian labour law. This process took place quickly following his departure from the team on Saturday.

Malkin is said to be rattled by this cloak and dagger saga and wants for nothing other than the opportunity to play in the National Hockey League and to put the nastiness of this battle behind him and his family.

"It's not his fault, he didn't ask for this", a source close to the situation told TSN. "He was ready to play (in the NHL) last year. This is what he wants."

The next chapter in this mystery is equally guarded, however the source adds that the next 24 hours may offer more insight into Malkin's next move.

What is clear is the enormous pressure the Russian Federation is feeling now that the leverage they had with Malkin in an ongoing tug-of-war with the IIHF and the NHL is quickly vanishing.

It is hoped Malkin's fight to join the NHL will encourage Russia to fall into line with the other international hockey federations currently guided by the existing transfer agreement, thus avoiding the inevitability of other young, talented Russian players from following a similar path.

The resignation strategy Malkin has employed is one that no Russian hockey player had used until Alexei Mikhnov, an Edmonton Oilers prospect, gave his written notice to Russian club Yaroslavl on June 30. That situation, however, also remains unresolved. Yaroslavl could still attempt to prevent Mikhnov from leaving Russia, or it could take legal action against the Oilers to block him from making the move.

"All we know is Mikhnov gave his notice to leave his club team and the two-week period expired," Oilers assistant GM Scott Howson told the Edmonton Journal last week. Howson also told the Journal that Mikhnov's agent was, in fact, negotiating a contract with the Oilers.

Malkin seems a long way from getting to that step.

Penguins star Sergei Gonchar told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he spoke to Malkin a week ago, just before Malkin disappeared while Metallurg Magnitogorsk was training in Finland. Gonchar noted that Malkin sounded disappointed about having signed to stay with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

"He was very upset," Gonchar told the Tribune-Review, noting that there must have been a lot of pressure on the youngster to re-sign with his Russian team - maybe too much pressure.

"It's a different country than it used to be," Gonchar told the Times-Review. "Hopefully, nobody is going to put pressure on his family or himself when he comes back. But at the same time, there's got to be some pressure because otherwise a guy wouldn't sign a deal at 3 a.m. then disappear in a couple days.

"I'm assuming he's in the United States or some other country where he can wait."

Russian national team coach Vyacheslav Bykov has already told the Russian newspaper Sport-Express that Malkin would still be welcome to play for his country.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

He's getting closer. I'll be content when I see him on the ice this season, inside Mellon Arena and sporting a Penguin jersey.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #30
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

He'll be there......