Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #31
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins pick Malkin skates out on his Russian club

It has been confirmed by Savern that Malkin is now in Los Angeles.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #32
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Malkin comes out of hiding, practices in L.A.

Evgeni Malkin has surfaced.

ESPN The Magazine E.J. Hradek reports the Pittsburgh Penguins prospect turned up in Los Angeles on Thursday, less than a week after Malkin abruptly left his home country of Russia and his Metallurg Magnitogorsk team.

Malkin skated with a group of NHL players, including Rob Blake and Mathieu Schneider, at the Kings' practice facility in El Segundo, Calif.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2552761

Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #33
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

That is good news, though I'm sure he's watched 24/7. Now all that's left is to get him signed and into a Pens uniform
Old 08-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #34
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Malkin's second guess led to his flight to U.S.
Regretted Russian signing under psychological pressure

Saturday, August 19, 2006

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Russian hockey sensation Evgeni Malkin said he second-guessed himself just hours after he signed a new contract with his hometown team two weeks ago, triggering a chain of events that led to a clandestine escape to Los Angeles so he could play in the NHL with the Penguins.

Granting a select set of interviews yesterday through his agents at IMG Hockey in Los Angeles, the 20-year-old Malkin made his first public statements about an intrigue-filled flight that has rankled Russian officials and raised expectations with Pittsburgh hockey fans.

While he speaks no English, Malkin made his comments to interpreter Slava Malamud, a correspondent with the Moscow-based Sport Express who interviewed him at IMG offices.

Malkin wanted all along to play for the Penguins this season and said he was advised by his agent, J.P. Barry of IMG, not to sign a reworked deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Russian Super League. But, when team officials came to his house two weeks ago and with his parents present, he signed a one-year deal at 3 a.m. after what was described as nonstop pressure.

"The next morning when I woke up, I called Mr. Barry and asked him to help," Malkin told Malamud. "I was pressured very hard. I kept asking them, 'Why aren't you keeping your promise to let me play in America?' They did not want to listen. They just kept on with their arguments."

Malkin's version of events since that signing are consistent with what his agents had told various news outlets: He went to a training site in Finland with the Metallurg team, which had held his passport. He kept the passport after entering Finland and, last Saturday, bolted the team to stay in a secret apartment with Barry and one of his associates in Helsinki. He interviewed for a visa application with the U.S. Embassy Monday and departed for Los Angeles the next day after the visa was approved.

Although Malkin said he never received any specific physical threats, he said Metallurg general director Gennady Velichkin applied psychological pressure because the team wanted his services for another year.

At the root of the international incident is the lack of a transfer agreement between the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the NHL. The Russians agreed in principle to an agreement that would pay a $200,000 fee for a player who goes to the NHL, but they failed to sign it by the July 31 deadline, which coincidentally was Malkin's birthday.

Malkin said he was told last year that he would be free to go to the Penguins, but he felt he was being used as leverage by Velichkin to produce better terms. Metallurg officials believe that proper compensation would be in the millions of dollars.

"I'm very hurt. You cannot treat people like that. They promised me last year I would be free," Malkin told Malamud. "Now it turns out they're not going to keep their word while I am supposed to."

In the meantime, Malkin has given two-weeks' notice to Metallurg, which under Russian labor law would free him from his obligations. An incensed Velichkin, who has accused the Penguins of "sports terrorism" by stealing his star player, has said he will sue to keep his property. Other Russian players who bolted for the NHL have won their cases.

There is no word on when Malkin will travel to Pittsburgh, but he expects to be in camp when rookies report in early September.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06231/714741-61.stm
Old 08-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #35
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

* 32 seconds left on the man advantage....Armstrong...back to the point to Gonchar...SLAPSHOT!!....SAVE Brodeur!!!....rebound...Crosby...cross ice pass to Malkin!!!....HE SHOOTS AND SCOOOORRREEESSS!!!!!*

Get in the fast lane Grandma!!..the bingo game's ready to roll!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #36
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Velichkin's comments:

"They all like to talk about democracy, the American way and then they shamelessly steal our best players. This is pure sports terrorism."

"Don't forget, Malkin is a young kid, he is still very naive and it was easy for them to get into his head all that stuff about the American dream and how great the NHL is,"

Malkin's comments:

"The next morning when I woke up, I called Mr. Barry and asked him to help,", "I was pressured very hard. I kept asking them, 'Why aren't you keeping your promise to let me play in America?' They did not want to listen. They just kept on with their arguments."

"I'm very hurt. You cannot treat people like that. They promised me last year I would be free,". "Now it turns out they're not going to keep their word while I am supposed to."

And on that note..........God Bless American.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-19-2006 at 07:39 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #37
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Now that he's in LA, the next step is to get him signed and into rookie camp. But more importantly, I hope that this entire saga has ended, and that Malkin can just focus on doing what he does best - playing hockey.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #38
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Agent: Malkin looking to opener

By The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 22, 2006

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Evgeni Malkin skated again with several NHL players Monday at the Los Angeles Kings' practice rink, and his agent said he was optimistic the 20-year-old hockey star will soon become a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"This is why we're here," Pat Brisson said. "We're going to do everything in our power to help him reach his goal — to be playing with the Penguins on opening night."

Malkin, considered one of the best players in the world not playing in the NHL, left his Russian Super League team earlier this month during its training camp in Helsinki, Finland, because of his desire to join the Penguins.

"He wants to follow his dream, he wants to play in the NHL," Brisson said, adding Malkin is in good hockey shape and was skating Monday for the third time since arriving in the Los Angeles area last Wednesday.

Brisson said he hasn't discussed a contract with the Penguins yet.

"Once we decide it's the right time to move forward, it shouldn't be a problem," the agent said. "He could be here another 10 days."

Malkin did not speak with reporters Monday.

"Due to the legality and the situation we're in, it's a little sensitive," Brisson said.

Brisson works for Creative Artists Agency, which represents about 60 NHL players. He is working with lawyers to determine when Malkin can join the Penguins, who made him the second overall selection in the 2004 NHL draft.

Within hours of Malkin leaving his team, his agents faxed a letter of resignation to the Metallurg team. Under Russian law, Malkin can quit his job by giving two weeks' notice, even if he is under contract.

Once the two-week period is up, it is believed Malkin can sign an entry-level, three-year contract with the Penguins that could be worth close to $1 million a year, plus as much as $2.8 million a year in incentives.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero issued a statement last Thursday saying the team looks forward to meeting with Malkin and his representatives "to discuss what can be a very bright future with the Pittsburgh Penguins."

The NHL has not publicly stated any support for Malkin, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly has said the league believes any player should have the right to choose where he wants to play as long as he is legally free to do so.

Brisson said Malkin went to the beach Sunday, and will work out Tuesday and Thursday with T.R. Goodman, a personal trainer who trains most of the NHL players represented by CAA.

"He's here to work, acclimate himself," Brisson said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_467120.html
Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #39
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Just pay the Russians the what? $200,000 that they originally agreed upon and get this kid signed up and ready to go.

The Russians planning on suing the Penguin organization is comical. How would that hold up in court exactly? What did the Penguins do? Since Malkin left Russia I've been sitting here trying to figure out how exactly the Russians would put a case together in order to successfully sue the Penguins.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #40
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Just pay the Russians the what? $200,000 that they originally agreed upon and get this kid signed up and ready to go.

The Russians planning on suing the Penguin organization is comical. How would that hold up in court exactly? What did the Penguins do? Since Malkin left Russia I've been sitting here trying to figure out how exactly the Russians would put a case together in order to successfully sue the Penguins.
They don't have a case at all - they tried this with Nikolai Zherdev of the Blue Jackets and Ovechkin last year, and both cases were thrown out. So they're going to end up getting absolutely nothing for Malkin when they could have made out with $200,000. Besides, the Magnitogorsk brass promised him last year that they would not stand in the way if he wanted to come over here, which of course was a lie. This is all about money and Malkin is/was the pawn, plain and simple.