Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #61
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins pick Malkin skates out on his Russian club

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
As for the lines, Therrien will definitely split them up and make 2 lines, probably like this:

Recchi-Crosby-Armstrong
Ekman-Malkin-Malone

OR

Ekman-Crosby-Armstrong
LeClair-Malkin-Recchi

Either setup would be fine with me...
It will be interesting to see how Therrien pairs up the lines. One thing I hope to see this season is for Therrien to set the lines and keep them intact for a good amount of time.

This is a young team for the most part and he needs to let these kids mold together. They will never mold together if he keeps switching up the lines (the first two in particular) from game to game. Set them, let them play and let them mold.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #62
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
It will be interesting to see how Therrien pairs up the lines. One thing I hope to see this season is for Therrien to set the lines and keep them intact for a good amount of time.

This is a young team for the most part and he needs to let these kids mold together. They will never mold together if he keeps switching up the lines (the first two in particular) from game to game. Set them, let them play and let them mold.
I think Therrien had to juggle the lines so much last season because other than Crosby's line, they got zero consistency from their forwards. Having Malkin on board coupled with the acquisitions they've made through trades and FA pretty much solidifies their lines, IMO. Even the 4th line looks pretty solid if they decide to keep Talbot here to play between Roy and Petrovicky. If they can all stay healthy, the team should be much more consistent than last season and should put together a few more wins.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #63
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I like the lines of Ekman-Crosby-Armstrong and LeClair-Malkin-Recchi much better than your first selection, XT. Crosby has a year under his belt now - put the seasoned vets with Malkin - they'd be awesome together!

I received this email from the Pens yesterday, if anyone is interested. XT and I are going and if anyone else decides to go, PM me and maybe we can hook up at the skate.

Rookie Camp Open to Public This Weekend
First Chance to See Evgeni Malkin at Mellon Arena

The Pittsburgh Penguins will hold a rookie camp for young prospects from Sept. 7-12 at Mellon Arena. Prospects will report for physicals, meetings and testing on Sept. 7 and then be on the ice from Sept. 8-12.

The sessions on Saturday, Sept. 9, and Sunday, Sept. 10, will be open to the public from 10:00-11:30 am.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #64
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

i don't know, man...you'd be EXTREMELY hard pressed to convince me why we shouldn't put the two most talented young skaters in the world on the same line to work together and develop together. in NOT doing that, it really seems more of a waste of potential talent with the sum of their talent being greater than the parts.

i'll set precendence too - gretzky and kuri, selanne and kariya, straka and kovelev, straka and jagr, lemieux and jagr(in 91, 92), kovelev and jagr....

obviously, the pens have had some dominant forwards and i'll be biased toward them, but seriously, why NOT put them together and let them grow together?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #65
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalke View Post
i don't know, man...you'd be EXTREMELY hard pressed to convince me why we shouldn't put the two most talented young skaters in the world on the same line to work together and develop together. in NOT doing that, it really seems more of a waste of potential talent with the sum of their talent being greater than the parts.

i'll set precendence too - gretzky and kuri, selanne and kariya, straka and kovelev, straka and jagr, lemieux and jagr(in 91, 92), kovelev and jagr....

obviously, the pens have had some dominant forwards and i'll be biased toward them, but seriously, why NOT put them together and let them grow together?
When your not stalked like other teams, you can't afford to put two of the worlds best players on the same line. You need to spread the talent. We are not the Rangers, Ducks or the Penguins of the early 90's.

I bet the bank that you see Malkin and Crosby on separate lines unless it's a PP.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #66
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

You have to split them up...end of story....

Old 09-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #67
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

BTW...LOL...who is Ekman???
Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #68
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
BTW...LOL...who is Ekman???
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/bio.php?id=189
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #69
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

You beat me to it 83 lol...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #70
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Well, this saga still isn't over yet - the Russian hockey federation has ruled that Malkin can't play for the Pens this year, and is asking the team to void his contract. Good luck with that, boys!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470706.html

Pittsburgh Penguins star-in-the-making Evgeni Malkin can play only for the Russian team he abandoned last month, an arbitration committee of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation ruled today.
A New York-based lawyer for Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Malkin’s former team, said the committee issued a one-page decision today in Moscow.

“My understanding is, the prohibition bans Malkin from playing for any other hockey clubs other than Metallurg Magnitogorsk for the 2006-2007 season,” said Alexander Berkovich, who has represented other Russian teams and players in similar cases.

Malkin, 20, has a week to ask for the ruling to be reconsidered by Russia’s Arbitration Court for Sports, a Moscow-based tribunal independent of the hockey federation.

In August, Malkin abandoned Metallurg in Finland after arriving to play in a preseason tournament. Days earlier, he signed a new contract with his Russian team. The remaining two years on his contract were reworked into a deal for Malkin to play through this season and then be free to play in the National Hockey League. The Russian phenom, considered to have been the best hockey player not playing in the NHL, said he signed the new contract under duress.

Malkin now is a member of the Penguins and participating in the team’s training camp at Mellon Arena. He signed a three-year deal worth nearly $3 million on Sept. 5 to play for the Penguins, which selected him with the second pick in the 2004 NHL draft.

Berkovich said he would send a letter today to the NHL and the Penguins asking them to honor the arbitration award and cancel Malkin’s contract.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the league has not received official notification of the decision, and declined further comment.

Under Russian labor laws, all employees work under contract. Employees can terminate labor contracts by providing their employers with a written two-week notice. Malkin faxed his notice to Metallurg officials in early August.

Berkovich argues that professional athletes, actors and other professionals in Russia cannot terminate their contracts the same as other workers.