Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,737 Times in 704 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on the Haley offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
ask me this when was the last time a team change OC and had a successful season?? Maybe you just had to much of expectations...
This year. Josh McDaniel's and the New England Patriots. Also, only the Patriots can have a guy come off the street and burn defense on a go-route for a touchdown.

Nothing's stopping me. I can go on a goddamn rant all night. Re-watching this game from Sunday makes me want to puke! Some things you miss live & for good measure. This performance against the HAPLESS Chargers and seeing that shitface Rivers yap his jaw is downright infuriating.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,265 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
This year. Josh McDaniel's and the New England Patriots. Also, only the Patriots can have a guy come off the street and burn defense on a go-route for a touchdown.

Nothing's stopping me. I can go on a goddamn rant all night. Re-watching this game from Sunday makes me want to puke! Some things you miss live & for good measure. This performance against the HAPLESS Chargers and seeing that shitface Rivers yap his jaw is downright infuriating.
The playbook for the Pats didn't change it was still the same plays we got a whole to playbook.

Thats why McDaniels called plays for the Pats in the Super Bowl NOTING CHANGED FOR THEM
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
ask me this when was the last time a team change OC and had a successful season?? Maybe you just had to much of expectations...
Well, the Patriots seem to change OCs often. Been a while since they had a bad season. Also, the Falcons changed both coordinators and are 11-2. Packers have a new OC this year as their old one went on to coach the Dolphins.

Perhaps newly hired coordinators in the NFL have issues checking their egos at the door. Instead of not fixing what isn't broke, they feel the need to overhaul an entire system.

The problem is the Steelers drafted three speedy receivers that can stretch the field, but their not taking advantage of their skills because they think they're minimizing Ben's chances of getting hurt, and they gotta make sure he doesn't become bigger than the Steeler logo. He got hurt already, and he already is bigger than the Steeler logo. Instead of reducing him to dink-and-dunk and bubble screens, maybe they should actually, you know, make the offense revolve around him.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,737 Times in 704 Posts

Every year is different. Every team is different. We've seen MANY variations of the New England offense over the past few years. For instance, the Patriots had one of the most dangerous vertical passing offense's in football in 2007 with Randy Moss. That was then transformed into an offense that was heavily paced, which in turn, molded into more of a frequent fast paced possession team with a LACK of running game.

This season, all of a sudden, New England is beating down teams in the 4th QRT running the football, something that was virtually NON EXISTENT just a season ago. It's crazy how most of these guys, who never even played in McDaniel's system, plays it like they were born into it.

I can't find one game where the Patriots beat themselves. Not one.
Terminator (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree that it takes time to adjust and that's the biggest problem. It's just a reality that alot of things are different. I don't think it's ego related it seems like all of the pre season talk was about this very topic. And that Ben and Haley hated each other, which we know isn't true now, but also that it would take time to get this offense going. Some of our draft picks are going to be special in his offense and our next big pick up needs to be a TE so we can pair him with Heath. That would be a helluva combo! We were grwoing, until BB wbet down and yesterday was a cluster f$^k all around so I am trying to chalk it up to that. We'll see...
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Okay, if it takes more than one season for the players to get it then the offense is too complicated and too full of Haley's ego. You think just because it's a new offense players forget what they've been doing all their lives?
Ben said it takes a minimum of 3 years to learn the genius of arians O.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,265 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Well, the Patriots seem to change OCs often. Been a while since they had a bad season. Also, the Falcons changed both coordinators and are 11-2. Packers have a new OC this year as their old one went on to coach the Dolphins.

Perhaps newly hired coordinators in the NFL have issues checking their egos at the door. Instead of not fixing what isn't broke, they feel the need to overhaul an entire system.

The problem is the Steelers drafted three speedy receivers that can stretch the field, but their not taking advantage of their skills because they think they're minimizing Ben's chances of getting hurt, and they gotta make sure he doesn't become bigger than the Steeler logo. He got hurt already, and he already is bigger than the Steeler logo. Instead of reducing him to dink-and-dunk and bubble screens, maybe they should actually, you know, make the offense revolve around him.
Like I said not to many teams can do good when they change OC but tbh we all know that ATL is overrated so no use of talking about them and Joe philbin was not the one calling the plays for the Packers, Mike McCarthy calls the plays...

I wouldn't call us a dink-and-dunk offense, we just changed to a quick passing offense cause of our horrible o-line, if you want to know what dink-and-dunk looks like go look at the 49ers offense
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Ben said it takes a minimum of 3 years to learn the genius of arians O.
This kind of stuff makes me roll my eyes, not just regarding the Steelers but any team in general. It's as if you need a PhD to play football today.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

This team is a dink and dunk (aka quick pass) offense now. While it has done what Rooney wanted in keeping Ben upright, it has taken away the the strength of this receiving core. More particularly, Mike Wallace's strength. I still believe you need to occasionally attempt to go deep. That in itself will help open up the offense by keeping the safeties back. More passing and running room.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelBobbleHead For This Useful Post:
Terminator (12-11-2012), zcoop (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

The problem with our offense stems from Mr Rooney. He wants the Steelers to be like the Steelers of the past. Which is run heavy and the idea of you controlling the clock. Which is not how this league operates. I feel like Haley is in a situation in which he wants to obey what Mr Rooney wants to keep his job. Haley was very successful as the cards Oc because he was allowed to pass as many times as he wanted to. And the Steelers front office needs to realize that now a days you pass to set up the run later on. We should be throwing the ball 35 plus with our talent at wr.

Another thing is In order to have a 2 back system you must have a speed guy and power guy. We currently have to slow power guys with mendy on the bench. Mendy needs to be back in the game cause he had the ablility to break a long run or screen pass. Dwyer and Redman will not provide us with that splash play we are looking for. Mendy must be given chance to prove what he can do. Just give him the ball 12 to 15 times against the cowboys. Remember his first game back everyone on this board noticed the difference in having a speed back who could bounce out when the middle was clogged which it is most of the time. Watching Dwyer is frustrating cause you know he doesn't gave the speed to bounce out thus teams aren't scared of that and they stack 8 guys in the box to stuff the middle
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote