Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,023 Times in 4,571 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on the Haley offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
we need a real NFL caliber running back. whatever we have back there, is below average and other teams know it. not having a threat out of the backfield makes you 1-dimensional, and that doesnt work in the NFL
We might not agree on a lot of things - specifically how optimistic we should be (you pessimist! ) - but this is absolutely dead on.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #42
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,101 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
hell ben didn't even have enough protection to get a WR screen off, the amount of protection that ben got last saturday was just horrible. o-line shit the bed. when that happens, you won't get anything done on offense, i don't care if you got joe montana back there
yea, and I love Ben - but just having him back wasn't the answer. Apparently, the rest of the Steelers players thought so - or at least played like that was the only thing needed to win.

What is Wallace or Ben or AB gonna say if they put up abysmal performances and we're out of the playoffs? The losing wouldn't sting as much if I saw them at least fight, produce, and make a game of it. Go down swinging. DON'T JUST LAY DOWN AND DIE ON YOUR OWN.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #43
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,449 Times in 3,110 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We might not agree on a lot of things - specifically how optimistic we should be (you pessimist! ) - but this is absolutely dead on.
Hey I'm not a pessimist, I like to think realist. If the team gives me a reason to be optimistic, I always lean that way

But I do like your optimism. While people rarely agree on everything, that's what make discussions interesting.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #44
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

Injuries on the O line are bad.. RB's are terrible.. WR's play smaller than they are..

And ya know.. I know Ben has been our savior, but one reason why we don't score fuck tons of points is because he's not as accurate as those guys like Brady and Rodgers. He doesn't throw guys open. He waits till they get open and hits them, but he's not the best deep ball thrower
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #45
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,449 Times in 3,110 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Dead last in the AFC in number of 1st downs, far behind the others, is not only due to injuries.
being almost dead last in rushing offense will do that. I don't care what people say about this being a 'quarterback NFL' now, that's all baloney, the running game is still critical to making an offense work.

All the great QB's who won multiple championships had a strong running attack to go with it.

Bradshaw had Franco, Montana had Craig, Warner had Faulk, Elway couldn't win one until they had Davis, Brady hasn't done well since NE's rushing attack declined (they had a good one with dillon)
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
being almost dead last in rushing offense will do that. I don't care what people say about this being a 'quarterback NFL' now, that's all baloney, the running game is still critical to making an offense work.

All the great QB's who won multiple championships had a strong running attack to go with it.

Bradshaw had Franco, Montana had Craig, Warner had Faulk, Elway couldn't win one until they had Davis, Brady hasn't done well since NE's rushing attack declined (they had a good one with dillon)
This. Ben had Parker and Bettis's almost-guaranteed chain-moving runs. Every time it was short, they lined Bettis up and they got it. Parker's record SB TD run helped a helluva lot too, especially since Ben didn't play fantastic. I really think SB XLIII victory was unique because the line was shaky and the running game wasn't that good - I think that team was the exception to the rule. If ever there was a clutch season, it was Ben that year and the 4th quarter improv magic. Oh yea, the defense was legendary too.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #47
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewniorGong View Post
Injuries on the O line are bad.. RB's are terrible.. WR's play smaller than they are..

And ya know.. I know Ben has been our savior, but one reason why we don't score fuck tons of points is because he's not as accurate as those guys like Brady and Rodgers. He doesn't throw guys open. He waits till they get open and hits them, but he's not the best deep ball thrower
Yes, this is hwy we need a run game, his deep balls aren't good either, plus Wallace makes no effort to get to them/drops them.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #48
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,491 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
I'm not seeing how this offense is better than the one last year. They are 20th or something around that in scoring and have only hit the 30 point mark once. It hasn't kept Ben healthy. And frankly, I see some similar bone-headed plays that Arians got crucified for.

Ben is a top five QB (yes, I know some of you hate hearing that), but this offense is designed to make him more of a game manager. Would anyone think holding back Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees makes sense? Yet in Pittsburgh, the star QB has to be "put in his place" because "he only cares about his stats," or they want to see an out-dated style of football.

You guys want the offense to score points like the Patriots and Packers? Guess what, dink-and-dunk isn't going to do that. The Steelers are still of the mentality that time of possession is the be all end all, and they need to get out of it. They have the weapons to be a downfield passing team, yet they don't want to do that. Why? Haley sure wasn't scared about going downfield in Arizona. Perhaps Art has too much say in the offense. Regardless, if the Steelers don't start playing to their strengths then they won't be better than 20th in scoring. The offense is also hurting by the lack of turnovers generated by the defense and the complete and utter embarrassment that is the Steelers special teams. The Steelers need more points faster, not more time of possession.

In the latter part of the 70's dynasty, the Steelers went from a run heavy, defensive team to a pass heavy, high-scoring offensive team. Did yinzer nation get all up in arms when that dynasty won two more super bowls playing that way? Did Art Rooney Sr. go on media tours proclaiming a return to a ground-heavy attack? Steeler fans, learn from your history. Don't cover it up over some misguided notion that you don't want Ben on a pedestal.
As most folks here know, I was very happy with BA and I thought that the main problem HE had was the constant injuries to the O-line.

Over in Indy, he's doing just fine (9-4) as both the OC and as Head Coach and he's doing it with a rookie QB, no less!

But according to most here, "BA sucks" and if anyone really believes that then I have a bridge they might be interested in purchasing.
As far as Haley goes, he's done some good things like getting Ben to throw more quickly, but overall, I'm underwhelmed.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
As most folks here know, I was very happy with BA and I thought that the main problem HE had was the constant injuries to the O-line.

Over in Indy, he's doing just fine (9-4) as both the OC and as Head Coach and he's doing it with a rookie QB, no less!

But according to most here, "BA sucks" and if anyone really believes that then I have a bridge they might be interested in purchasing.
As far as Haley goes, he's done some good things like getting Ben to throw more quickly, but overall, I'm underwhelmed.
pretty small body of work to go by compared to your familiarity with Arians. IMO - Arians is benefiting from a great QB. A lot of those come from behind plays are, wait for it - great improv by Luck and Wayne.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Yes, this is hwy we need a run game, his deep balls aren't good either, plus Wallace makes no effort to get to them/drops them.
His deep balls aren't good? What have you been watching the last several years?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote