Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Ask New England where driving up the score on teams has gotten them. They haven't won a Super Bowl since the beginning of Bush's second term and came up empty twice since then.

But hey, they sure blow out teams in the regular season, though. Go be a Pats fan if you want that garbage, OP.
That's all true. But at least they've been putting themselves in good position come playoff time. Does this Steeler team look like one that can win 3 road games in a row?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #32
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,154 Times in 479 Posts

I think my main issue and PROBLEM with this team is coming to a forefront when looking back. Injuries, ESPECIALLY. Mike Wallace's holdout was tough to stomach to begin with.

It seriously does feel like an entire voo-doo has been performed on us. Not only was our 1,000 yard rusher Mendenhall nursing a ACL injury, not to be ready until well into the season, It all started with our #1 draft pick, DeCastro, a mauler that was supposed to cure all angst on our line, dislocate his knee cap in the 3rd preseason game.

Then it continued when one of my FAVORITE linebackers in this years draft, Sean Spence, jacked up his leg in pre-season. This all came after our starting fullback on the year David Johnson bit the dust in pre-season in like, the first offensive snap for 2012.

Then our fierce pass-rushing, All-Pro OLB, who we missed heavily last season in James Harrison, decided to have surgery on his knee in freakin' August. His backup, Chris Carter, who started for Harrison, is on IR now with an Abdomen injury.

Then our All-Pro strong safety, Troy Polamalu, injures his calf in game number 1 and practically misses the entire season. Then Pouncey is out with an ankle. Then Gilbert finally fell on his own leg and put himself on IR. Not to be outdone, rookie Mike Adams did his best impersonation of Gilbert and he hasn't been seen since. Our "meanest" lineman, Willie Colon, will be put on IR for what seems to be the 1 millionth straight season.

Antonio Brown missed a few games with an ankle injury. Our "Hines Ward" player, Jericho Cotchery broke his ribs and missed a few. Byron Leftwhich THRILLED the Heinz Field crowd and gave us hope with an amazing 31 yard TD run on our first series VS Balty, only to trip on his 11 left feet, breaking his ribs in the process.

Redman then injured himself somehow, paving the way for Dwyer, who, after an impressive 100 yard game himself, hurt his quadriceps in the Washington game. Then LaMarr Woodley decided not to douche and injured his ankle this time so fat-slob Jason Worlids can get playing time.

Our best cover corner who is as UNDER APPRECIATED as it comes in Ike Taylor, has broken his leg.

Then...

I'm exhausted. GO STEELERS!
lardlad (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #33
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

I'd like to combine the Pats ability to dominate and run up the score in the regular season with our ability to close and step it up in the playoffs and Super Bowl.. how's that? :-p
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #34
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewniorGong View Post
I'd like to combine the Pats ability to dominate and run up the score in the regular season with our ability to close and step it up in the playoffs and Super Bowl.. how's that? :-p
LOL. Basically u want ... Everything. Nothing wrong with that
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #35
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Then LaMarr Woodley decided not to douche and injured his ankle this time so fat-slob Jason Worlids can get playing time.
Harrison and Woodley must have it written in their contracts somewhere that they can't be on the same field together for more then a couple of games at a time

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #36
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

It bugs me that we can't put points on the board with the skill position talent we have.

I mean, we rarely see 30 point outputs from the O. I looked at wins where we scored 30+ points the past 3 seasons and this is what I found:

2010 = 3
2011 = 3
2012 = 0

ZERO... that's right... ZERO
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #37
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

I don't want to be like those fffing cheaters either

sure it would be nice to get one of those total blowout scores occasionally....but what we need is

A running game that is good enough to salt away a couple games for us in the 4th

and for our Pass Rush to get back up to Steeler standards and create some Turnovers

Ben will handle the rest

Suisham has gotten better this year, thats one plus....hope it continues

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #38
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
It bugs me that we can't put points on the board with the skill position talent we have.

I mean, we rarely see 30 point outputs from the O. I looked at wins where we scored 30+ points the past 3 seasons and this is what I found:

2010 = 3
2011 = 3
2012 = 0

ZERO... that's right... ZERO

If I'm not mistaken, Haley was brought in to improve the redone efficiency and scoring. I think the only thing he has improved, until the last game, is how often Ben has had to run for his life.
I really don't mind the dink and dunk ball control offense. We do have the receivers for a quick strike attack as well. Is it asking too much to want to utilize both during a game?
Wouldn't you think that you could occasionally throw the deep ball after you have set them up with the dink and dunk?
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #39
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804

My two cents:

The Patriots are an amazing football team and an incredible organization. Football season in Massachusetts has been an absolute blast since the dawn of the Belichick and Brady era. That said, the Patriots are the Patriots and, despite the current state of Pittsburgh, the Steelers are the Steelers. If every great organization was exactly the same it would be boring. Super-elite offenses are fun to watch but if every great football organization was built on a Super-Elite offense then every football game would just be a sling-fest and the game would be sort of boring. It's only exciting to watch now because it's unique, like the Steelers hard-nosed defense and grid-iron style is (was?) exciting to watch when they swarm over an offensive line and Harrison starts suplexing people.

Like in Mixed Martial Arts, styles make fights, and it's the same for football.

Each football team has its own identity and this leads to each fan base having its own identity and that's the character of the NFL. That's better than everyone being clones of one another. If you were smashing everyone '85 Bears style this season you wouldn't be thinking that you wish you were a Patriots clone.

But with all that said.... 42-14 over the Texans. Hot damn! Brady ring #4 incoming.
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #40
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804

One of my favorite thing about the Patriots, though, and the Patriot identity (the Patriot way), is how they never say anything to the media, never talk trash (overtly), always praise their upcoming opponents even if they're so horribly bad the praise is clearly being condescending, and then on the field they ruthlessly wrap 59 points around their throats and don't stop until the game is over. More over, after the game is over and the final score is 937 to 3 Belichick gives his same routine speech. "We need to improve in all three phases in the game, blah blah blah." It's a stealth arrogance and disdain for our opponents that's just incredible when contrasted with the circus shenanigans of other organizations. It's who the Patriots are and I absolutely LOVE them for it.
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote