Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #51
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: ONE thing we lack is...

Ben isn't the leader that this team needs.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,083 Posts

I'd say we lack a message board where absurd fans can air their grievances about the team in a knee jerk manner..............uh, never mind.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #53
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Ben isn't the leader that this team needs.
I think Ben has become much more of a leader and he started showing it last year in Denver. Even though the O line was below average and our WR's couldn't get open, he still RAN around with a high ankle sprain and made some excellent decisions and great passes while doing it. Also, yesterday he continued to play hard and made some great throws (a few that weren't caught) even though we were getting blown out and nobody gave a crap. That said, I do agree with you. Ben is a great example to the rest of the team about what toughness and competition is all about, but he doesn't seem to be the type to rally the team mentally or make a locker room speech. We haven't had that since Porter and Cowher really. The defense played so well in 2008 that they were always fired up and ready to go. Farrior was the last leader on the defense and nobody has picked it up since he left. I expected Harrison and Timmons to pick it up, especially Timmons, but nobody picked it up.

As for the offense, I don't see who the leader would even be. I don't think Ben is going to be that guy, likely due to his past and not wanting to look like an a******, but I don't see who else it could be. Ward was the last emotional leader on offense and we let him go a bit to early IMO. Either way nobody has filled his spot. Time for someone to step up. It be nice if it was Tomlin, Cowher lit a fire under his team and it would be nice to see Tomlin do the same. Somebody needs to do it!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I think Ben has become much more of a leader and he started showing it last year in Denver. Even though the O line was below average and our WR's couldn't get open, he still RAN around with a high ankle sprain and made some excellent decisions and great passes while doing it. Also, yesterday he continued to play hard and made some great throws (a few that weren't caught) even though we were getting blown out and nobody gave a crap. That said, I do agree with you. Ben is a great example to the rest of the team about what toughness and competition is all about, but he doesn't seem to be the type to rally the team mentally or make a locker room speech. We haven't had that since Porter and Cowher really. The defense played so well in 2008 that they were always fired up and ready to go. Farrior was the last leader on the defense and nobody has picked it up since he left. I expected Harrison and Timmons to pick it up, especially Timmons, but nobody picked it up.

As for the offense, I don't see who the leader would even be. I don't think Ben is going to be that guy, likely due to his past and not wanting to look like an a******, but I don't see who else it could be. Ward was the last emotional leader on offense and we let him go a bit to early IMO. Either way nobody has filled his spot. Time for someone to step up. It be nice if it was Tomlin, Cowher lit a fire under his team and it would be nice to see Tomlin do the same. Somebody needs to do it!
Couldn't have said it better. He's not that vocal guy and I think this team misses the likes of Ward. This team has to play with some fire in the belly to execute well.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #55
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

We lack, in this order of importance:
-Hunger/urgency
-Pass rush
-Explosion at RB/run blocking
-Bigger plays from receivers

I don't know if we lack leadership from players because there are more than a few vocal vets on the squad. I'm not sure that the hunger is there. A lot of the vets have rings already, I'm not sure if some of the young guys are even interested in that, and I'm not sure the coach views each game as equally important
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JewniorGong For This Useful Post:
ZoneBlitzer (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #56
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewniorGong View Post
We lack, in this order of importance:
-Hunger/urgency
-Pass rush
-Explosion at RB/run blocking
-Bigger plays from receivers

I don't know if we lack leadership from players because there are more than a few vocal vets on the squad. I'm not sure that the hunger is there. A lot of the vets have rings already, I'm not sure if some of the young guys are even interested in that, and I'm not sure the coach views each game as equally important
Agreed on your points but when those line items aren't there, that's when leadership is needed to inspire and motivate.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #57
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

...a head coach.
jiminpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #58
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
\

No. It's not.
Butler is averaging i believe 43 point something a kick this year and netting out at 38. The league leaders are at 48-ish and netting around 41. Thats a 3-yard difference from the leaders.
If what you said was true - Butler would be punting 28 yard punts all the time. Which he doesn't. Nobody in the NFL is getting "out-kicked" by 15 or 20 yards.

We're losing the field position battle because our offense isn't moving the ball anymore and we're STARTING beginning of games punting deep inside our own territory (at times even deeper - because we're also committing our most costly penalties while deep in our own territory). This has directly led to extremely poor field position. What makes it worse is the fact its happening at the beginning. So our "poor field position" continues and its like being in quicksand. Very hard to get out of - unless you're moving the ball consistently, of course - which we're not doing.
It was one of the main reasons we lost the first Ravens game. Those yards are about when and where too. Some kickers are putting it out of bounds at the 12 for a 28 yard net. The guy does not have a big leg....period. Did you go to school with him or something?
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #59
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
It was one of the main reasons we lost the first Ravens game. Those yards are about when and where too. Some kickers are putting it out of bounds at the 12 for a 28 yard net. The guy does not have a big leg....period. Did you go to school with him or something?

No - but there's FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR bigger problems on this team than the f-ing punter.
How many 3-and-outs have we had inside our own 20? And not only that - we commit stupid, idiotic penalties while down there too....further squashing us to our own end zone. Then our punter has to f-ing kick it, if not out of the end zone, than near the goal line - all the while having to play it safe so there's no 'fumbled' long snap or blocked kick (which would be an almost surely automatic TD).
When he gets the kick off, it seems as if the other guys are taking the punts almost near their own 40 - then as someone stated above - getting 10+ yard returns (or once again - our idiotic Special Teams commits some god forsaken penalty).
I've seen this way too many times this year. We don't need to worry about the punter "first" (which thats not even one of the top 3 or 4 reasons we keep getting buried)
It's not the #!*$%! punter thats the issue.
TRH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
steelerschik (12-12-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #60
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

One thing we lack?

CHEERLEADERS!