Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Mendenhall suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity4Life View Post
The difference is that Dwyer doesn't dance in the backfield, and racks up SERIOUS yardage after contact. Anybody missing that is blind. Even the announcers bring it up every time he plays. Mendy is just good in space; Something this line almost never creates.
How about you post some sources on this yardage? Last I checked, Dwyer was the "#1 Guy" our last 3 games and only came up with 100 yards total for all 3 combined. Half his rushes were for zero or negative gains.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstorm05 For This Useful Post:
Terminator (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Which is why I've always said that Mendy should be catching passes out of the backfield where he'd already be "in space" and has already proven himself to be effective. That whole concept is a staple of the West Coast offense and something I really thought Haley would feature.
You know who got in the way from plays like that being featured? Why Mendy of course.

This guy still carries the ball like a Pop Warner player. Cant be trusted with the ball. Period

As far as not coming to the game...the ultimate sign of disrespect for your own teammates

I hope Silverback shoots him......then blames the gun

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
SteelCurtain5643
Team Captain

Member Number: 12838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
How about you post some sources on this yardage? Last I checked, Dwyer was the "#1 Guy" our last 3 games and only came up with 100 yards total for all 3 combined. Half his rushes were for zero or negative gains.
If our O-line didnt suck it'd be a different story
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,264 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Uh... YES.
Uh...NO!

Sorry, but I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I think that Mendy has been calling out some of the decision makers for what he sees as bad decisions and they're getting even with him for doing that.

I'd rather have a guy on the sidelines who WANTS to be there than someone who feels he's being FORCED to be there. I think Mendy has probably been criticizing the way things are being done (because he seems to be that type of person) and that isn't going over too well. And I'd also bet that he's probably right in many ways and they like that even less.

As a coach, I think I'd rather have a player say what's on his mind than to have a player kissing my ass. We might not exchange Christmas cards, but at least I know I'd be dealing with someone who's not afraid to speak out and that - to me - is worth more than fealty.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,692 Times in 8,611 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Uh...NO!

Sorry, but I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I think that Mendy has been calling out some of the decision makers for what he sees as bad decisions and they're getting even with him for doing that.

I'd rather have a guy on the sidelines who WANTS to be there than someone who feels he's being FORCED to be there. I think Mendy has probably been criticizing the way things are being done (because he seems to be that type of person) and that isn't going over too well. And I'd also bet that he's probably right in many ways and they like that even less.

As a coach, I think I'd rather have a player say what's on his mind than to have a player kissing my ass. We might not exchange Christmas cards, but at least I know I'd be dealing with someone who's not afraid to speak out and that - to me - is worth more than fealty.
1. Putting one's own interests before the team's... not good.

2. Quitting... not good.

3. Spinny giving back his game-day check, that would have been paid to him for merely sitting out (which 7-8 players HAVE to do each & every game, due to the practice numbers ebing more than game-day numbers); because, now, he is sitting out AND not having to be paid... a altruistic move on his part.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
ETL (12-12-2012), lardlad (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
SteelCity4Life
Team Captain

Member Number: 23950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I didn't mention actual stats, now did I???

I'm talking about the stretch in which we had 3 100 yard rushing games , but I believe that was before Ben went down. Redman had 1 game and Dwyer had the other 2.

Yes, I caught those losses. But when was the last time Mendy actually saw the freaking field?? The Browns game? Mr fumbles twice for the team.

Question is, if Mendy had been playing, what would the results be???

Win, loss, or tie; Steeler faithful till I die!
SteelCity4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #37
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,692 Times in 8,611 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I remember Jim rome going on a rant... something like this:

When life gives you lemons... QUIT.

When the going gets tough... QUIT.

When the chips are down... QUIT.

When facing a fourth & 15, with a full-court press... QUIT.

When benched... QUIT.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

he was never a game breaker player since he came here, easily replaced. Of course unless Haley figures out how to run the ball doesn't matter whom the backs are
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity4Life View Post
I didn't mention actual stats, now did I???

I'm talking about the stretch in which we had 3 100 yard rushing games , but I believe that was before Ben went down. Redman had 1 game and Dwyer had the other 2.

Yes, I caught those losses. But when was the last time Mendy actually saw the freaking field?? The Browns game? Mr fumbles twice for the team.

Question is, if Mendy had been playing, what would the results be???
No, I was fully aware it was made up. We had a streak of 4 100+ yard rushing games, not 3. The first one was on Mendenhalls back, though, so I see why you left it out, though. I can't say what the games would have been like if Mendy had been the starter all year. But if it's anything like the past 3 seasons, he would have had over 1000 yards rushing and 10 or so TDs.

Dwyer is a backup trying to be a starter, and not doing enough to get it done. If he gets so many yards after carry, why do his fan boys need to keep blaming the line? Surely he would hit that D at the line of scrimmage then go on for a gain every run? Or at least hit 50 yards a game from time to time? Seriously, Haley called the guy out for not having the guts and conditioning to be the starter. His ass was benched earlier this year for...wait for it...fumbling, and just sucking in general. Then he had 2 good games against two teams that are shit, and has done NOTHING since. He's only #1 because there's no other choice. We'll draft someone in the offseason, and that'll be it for Dwyer.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #40
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Mendenhall played his heart out with an OC trying to get him injured, and succeeding, yet how many years was Mewelde Moore on the team and getting legacy carries, (and costing games), for old-times' sake from Tomlin's past teams? The difference, Mendenhall had potential to contribute to the Steelers. Mendy wasn't the only one to fumble twice in that game, and Ben has had games, this year, where he was in a contest with himself to see which way he could turn the ball over the most, but Tomlin likes him so it's okay. This isn't about football, it's personal, it's Tomlin and it has already hurt the team.

Last edited by jiminpa; 12-11-2012 at 07:01 PM.
jiminpa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
Terminator (12-11-2012), zcoop (12-11-2012)