Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Mendenhall suspended

wow....i wasn't even aware that he didn't show Sunday.

This relationship went sour very quickly between Mendenhall, this team, and the fans. Even more-so than Wallace.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #42
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Well, a healthy Mendenhall is much better than we have now....He was not a first round pick though, thats for sure!
I disagree with that one. Mendy has the most talent, but he sure doesn't use it. I re-watched the entire 2010 season this off season and Mendy was a big part of the offense and basically was our entire offense in the AFC Championship game. Since then he's became a dancer. Last year I blamed it on the O line because it was terrible, this year he was running behind a good O line and was still dancing around. Dwyer is a good fit for us. Lately the O line hasn't blocked worth a s*** and Dwyer has struggled a bit due to it, but when the O line even gets a bit of an opening Dwyer puts his head down and hits it hard. We don't need the "take it to the house" type back that Mendy has potential to be. We have Big Ben, Wallace (if he can hang on to anything), Brown, Miller, and Rainey for that, we just need a powerful back that always picks up positive yardage and runs like the bus. That's exactly what Dwyer does, he gets positive yardage on nearly every carry, often times 4 yards +, and he runs people over which should pump up the team (and does pump up the home crowd). Rainey is a great contrast to Dwyer also, and if he gets a few blocks he will take it to the house. I just don't see Mendy being that best we got, neither do the coach's.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #43
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Sounds like he wasn't drinking the kool-aid. Mendy is a smart, articulate kid who can ball. If he's not buying into the leadership, then what does that say? There's just something wrong with this team. How else can you explain the lazy, sloppy, ignorant and undisciplined play? It almost makes you think that they are tuning Tomlin out.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
Terminator (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #44
Jahodac
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24485

Well, I don't blame Mendenhall because Tomlin obviously doesn't want him. I'm assuming he won't be back and if that's the case, I really hope he finds a team that does want him. Dwyer is getting so overrated that it's starting to get ridiculous. He is no Jerome Bettis and never will be and without the o-line playing at the top of their game, he is absolutely useless. I guess next year we will see a Dwyer/Rainey duo assuming Rainey is rewarded for his play this year. I would really like to see us grab a running back in the draft.
Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Dwyer gets WAYYYYYYY too much love around here.

The guy had a couple of 100-yard games against sub-par competition. Besides that, he gets winded after 2 carries and has yet to show that he is any better than Mendenhall at all. He's more of a north-south runner, which suits out Oline better (maybe), but he really has not produced anything for us that Mendy has not as well.

Mendy is proven and has multiple 1000-yard seasons ins a pass-first offense with no Oline. Dwyer has.....wait for it......a pair of 100 yard games.

There was more going on than just Mendy's fumbles. He was one of 4 RBs that put the rock on the ground that day.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #46
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
We don't need the "take it to the house" type back that Mendy has potential to be. We have Big Ben, Wallace (if he can hang on to anything), Brown, Miller, and Rainey for that,
Disagree on that. If you aren't a threat with the run and pass, you won't do as well. Speed is the name of the new NFL. Look at the teams with the most rushing TD's this year...NE, Giants, San Fran, and Houston...they're also the teams everyone is using as the measuring stick for the playoffs this year. Their backs are consistently have longest carries of 15, 20, even 40 yards in a game. They're quick, and will hit the middle or bounce it out. If all you can do is gain 3 yards up the gut, the box gets stacked and the D forgets about your run game. We're living the reality of this right now.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Tomlin does not like dissenting opinions-- that much is obvious.

Back in 2009, when Willie Parker had the balls to speak up and say we weren't running the ball enough (which we most certainly were not-- he was correct), he went into Tomlin's doghouse and slowly faded away after Tomlin ran him til the wheels fell off the year before.

Now, Mendy probably spoke up and is being shown the door, when he is clearly, still the most talented back on our roster. if we were serious about revitalizing the ground game-- you don't bench your starting RB in favor of some no-name scrubs that had one or two good games before pulling a disappearing act against some of the worst run defenses in the league.

Mendy was coming back in 12 months from an injury that takes 18 months to heal from. Instead of burning another draft pick on a RB, when our team has so many other needs, I think we would be better off this offseason rehabbing Mendy and geting him back to 100%. We have no RBs right now that can break one around the edges at all (maybe Rainey with some more playing time), while Mendy has shown us that ability time and again under numbnuts' offense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-11-2012), ZoneBlitzer (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #48
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Well, I don't blame Mendenhall because Tomlin obviously doesn't want him. I'm assuming he won't be back and if that's the case, I really hope he finds a team that does want him. Dwyer is getting so overrated that it's starting to get ridiculous. He is no Jerome Bettis and never will be and without the o-line playing at the top of their game, he is absolutely useless. I guess next year we will see a Dwyer/Rainey duo assuming Rainey is rewarded for his play this year. I would really like to see us grab a running back in the draft.
I am kinda torn on this one.

On the one hand-- I have a pretty fierce sense of duty-- and I don't like it when highly paid professionals shirk their duties.

But, on the other hand, no matter how much they pay-- if my employer does not even value me enough to want me to show up to work on Monday-- I would tell them to go eff tehmselves too.

I think we just have to reserve judgement unless we find out more.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #49
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Dwyer gets WAYYYYYYY too much love around here.

The guy had a couple of 100-yard games against sub-par competition. Besides that, he gets winded after 2 carries and has yet to show that he is any better than Mendenhall at all. He's more of a north-south runner, which suits out Oline better (maybe), but he really has not produced anything for us that Mendy has not as well.

Mendy is proven and has multiple 1000-yard seasons ins a pass-first offense with no Oline. Dwyer has.....wait for it......a pair of 100 yard games.

There was more going on than just Mendy's fumbles. He was one of 4 RBs that put the rock on the ground that day.
Thank you! I'll say it again, because it got buried at the page change. Tomlin kept Moore around and gave him game losing carries for what he contributed to Tomlin's previous teams, but Mendenhaul has an equally bad game as the whole rest of the offense and gets singled out. Tomlin is blatantly putting personality over team on this one, and it has already cost games and altered the offense's mindset for the worse.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #50
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Bling, bling, bling!!!

The 2008 redraft alarm has sounded!!!

R1 - Spinny Mendenspin ::: DeSean Jackson

R2 - Limas Sweed ::: Ray Rice