Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,961 Times in 4,238 Posts
Default Would You Trade Wallace for Flowers?

I know this is looking past this season - something I don't believe is lost - but I've been thinking about this for a while. Simply put, would you trade Mike Wallace for Brandon Flowers?

Now, I know this is going to confuse a lot of you so let's take a step back. Earlier on this year (roughly 4 weeks ago) Brandon Flowers expressed his frustration with the Chiefs and reportedly wanted out of Kansas City. This got me interested when I first heard it because Brandon Flowers is arguably a top 5 DB wasting away on a secondary that is built on himself and Eric Berry. He's playing on a truly bad team that is going to need 2 - 3 years to rebuild to even be in the conversation of taking the AFC West.

Now, we all know about Mikey. A lot of the guys on here love to put hate on him and, in my opinion, scapegoat him for losses. Sure, he's dropped a couple balls and the reports of him asking for Larry Fitzgerald money put a sour taste in our mouths', but he's still a very, very good deep threat. He was consistent early on in his career and this lead to him being Ben's #1 receiving target for years. Now, however, it seems like on a weekly basis he's playing himself out of Pittsburgh and this is where I think we can have a mutual agreement with the Chiefs.

The Chiefs are about to lose Dwayne Bowe - there's no getting around this. Who do they have behind him? Well, no one, really. There's no talent behind Bowe for the Chiefs to build on - yet. All signs are pointing to them ending up with the number one overall pick and taking someone like Geno Smith to help build a franchise around. In order to build a franchise around a quarterback, getting receiver help has to be the number one priority. They already have a Jamaal Charles in place at running back and grabbing someone like Mike Wallace would give Geno a legitimate deep threat. On top of that, Bowe might be interested in staying in Kansas City assuming they grab a new franchise quarterback and get the help of someone like Mike Wallace.

He won't come free, however. In order for them to get Mikey, they'd have to give up someone like Brandon Flowers in return. Look, the Chiefs need help on both sides of the ball but getting a legitimate receiving target for Smith has to be priority number one for the Chiefs. In return, I do think they'd be willing to part with someone like Brandon Flowers. This would bolster an already great secondary and would instantly start across from Ike Taylor. Sure, Keenan has had a great year but I'd take Flowers over Lewis in a heartbeat. This, combined with the fact that Ike Taylor isn't getting any younger makes the transition and ultimately retirement of Taylor easier to stomach. This ensures that we do in fact reload our secondary and not have to spend a high draft pick rebuilding it.

He's being paid like a top flight corner because he is a top flight corner. He's being paid roughly 8 million dollars this year, and around 9.6 million next year. This is quite the cap hit, but I'm sure Omar Khan could work his magic and make most of that into a signing bonus, giving us room to resign our other impending free agents and, dare I say it, go into the FA pool.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci...andon-flowers/

With the depth at WR and the emergence of Emmanuel Sanders to make a big catch when we need it most, coupled with the fact that Wallace doesn't really fit our scheme anymore, makes this trade almost a no-brainer for the Steelers to pull off. We'd have to sign a deal with Wallace that Kansas City would have to o.k, but I think that's just semantics. This trade would be great for both sides and we would ultimately end up with a legitimate shut down corner opposite Taylor. More importantly, a guy that knows how to bring in balls and create turnovers. The Chiefs could quite possibly end up with both Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe if this were to happen which, again, gives the Chiefs something to start with when they're building around Smith.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: Would You Trade Wallace for Flowers?

Wallace is gone. That is a very viable situation and one I can possibly see happening. WR's are replaceable. Corners are hard to come by. I say yes, I'd take Flowers in a damn heartbeat.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I like the trade but there is no way Geno Smith is going round 1
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I don't play fantasy Madden GM till the season is officially over but I can't see Wallace signing with the Steelers on the cheap either - he's gone.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I don't play fantasy Madden GM till the season is officially over but I can't see Wallace signing with the Steelers on the cheap either - he's gone.
The way his season is going, I'm actually thinking his possibility to stay might be going up. The first half of the season I think we all figured he was way overpriced and would be leaving for a huge contract elsewhere. Now, however, I think his value is really taking damage from his drops, lack of fire, and even his little press quotes whining that he needs more throws.

Last year nobody felt he was worth a 1st rounder. He surely hasn't done anything to raise that pricetag this season. If things continue as is, it wouldn't shock me if we offer a deal identical to the one Brown got, only to see him take it when nobody else shows interest in matching it.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I would do that in a heartbeat. Flowers is one of the best shutdown corners in the league and is extremely underrated.

(Plus, he's a Hokie :P)
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

A good QB can make receivers good, just look at all the no-names brady has thrown to in his career. Shutdown corners are hard to come by so yes I would make that trade. Its not going to happen though, Wallace and Mendenhall are gone after the season.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

I would have kept Hines Ward on the roster as the 5th receiver. Then Wallace wouldn't be playing like a prima donna, AB would be fulfilling his potential and the rest of the guys would be busting their hides. HInes wanted to play, we should have kept him. He would have been worth the roster spot for his influence and leadership. Plus he would have given us another option besides Heath with sure hands on 3rd down.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,961 Times in 4,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
A good QB can make receivers good, just look at all the no-names brady has thrown to in his career. Shutdown corners are hard to come by so yes I would make that trade. Its not going to happen though, Wallace and Mendenhall are gone after the season.
I understand that, but working a longterm deal out with him that Kansas City would agree to and then trading him away would fit both sides. I think the impending franchise tag threat would be enough for the Chiefs to make this deal. That, and the fact that Bowe might again be interested in staying with the Chiefs if they were to be aggressive and pull of a trade like this.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I like the trade but there is no way Geno Smith is going round 1
Both him AND Matt Barkley can go in the top ten.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote