Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Shots Fired: Steelers vs Cowboys

Cause I can:
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,546 Posts
My Mood: Amused

They'll always be the Cocaine Cowboys to me.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

The Cowboys started touting themselves as America's team after they beat Denver in Super Bowl 12. They thought they were the sh!t. The Steelers put them in their place in Super Bowl 13. It was very enjoyable... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! I'm still enjoying it today!
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Romo Downplays Big Ben’s “World Team” Comments

Those fishing for a little extra controversy for this Sunday’s matchup between the Cowboys and Steelers were given some bait when Ben Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Cowboys may be “America’s Team,” but that the Steelers could be “The World’s Team.”

While this may be good fodder for Cowboy and Steeler fans (who have never been overly fond of each other over the years), Tony Romo brushed off the comment as a simple joke. Romo laughed when he was asked about the quote.

“I don’t view it in any capacity,” Romo told the Pittsburgh media in a conference call Wednesday. “I think Ben knows how to have fun with you guys.”

Romo went on to talk about the similarities of the two franchises.

“He’s played for a franchise that’s had great success over the years for a long time now,” Romo said. “We’ve obviously had a lot of success over the last 50 years as well. I think you’re looking at a couple very, very strong franchises that have been around for a long time. I think it’s great to play for an organization like this. I think that’s what (Roethlisberger’s) telling you.”

The Steelers and Cowboys have appeared in more Super Bowl games than any two franchises in the NFL and have been two of the most popular teams in sports since the 1970’s. The Steelers at six Super Bowl victories, have one more than the Cowboys. Roethlisberger was the quarterback for two of those Super Bowls.

The two Super Bowl victories are what separate Roethlisberger and Romo in the minds of many people.

Roethlisberger has played nearly two more full seasons than Romo and has just under 5,000 yards more than him for his career. But their career completion percentage and quarterback rating are actually very similar with Romo actually being slightly higher in both categories. Roethlisberger’s career completion percentage is 63.3 compared to Romo’s 64.8. Roethlisberger’s quarterback rating is 92.7 while Romo’s is 95.5.

But on the other hand, Roethlisberger has 10 career playoff wins under his belt and Romo only has one.The Cowboys have struggled to establish a home-field advantage at Cowboys’ Stadium this season and Steelers fans have been known to be well represented at road games.

Romo and the Cowboys will have to get off to a quick start to ensure that the crowd of America’s Team remains louder than the crowd of “The World’s Team.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...f-57f41661969d
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
The Cowboys started touting themselves as America's team after they beat Denver in Super Bowl 12. They thought they were the sh!t. The Steelers put them in their place in Super Bowl 13. It was very enjoyable... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! I'm still enjoying it today!
as I recall, the Crygirls began the 'America's Team' lingo prior-to, or during, the bi-centennial year of 1976 (following the loss to Pittsburgh in SB 10), when they switched one stripe ontheir helmets to Red for that entire year

either-way, the players of both teams from that era know who was the ass-kicker, and who's asses got kicked

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Romo went on to talk about the similarities of the two franchises.

“He’s played for a franchise that’s had great success over the years for a long time now,” Romo said. “We’ve obviously had a lot of success over the last 50 years as well. I think you’re looking at a couple very, very strong franchises that have been around for a long time. I think it’s great to play for an organization like this. I think that’s what (Roethlisberger’s) telling you.”
The difference between the two is that Ben has contributed to the franchise, and elevated the teams status and credentials in the league. Romo is a liability to his team. For all the hype around this guy, he's never done a thing. He couldn't even manage to hold a ball for his kicker without screwing it up and costing them the game.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,627 Times in 10,392 Posts
My Mood: Dead

NFL Films originally approached the Steelers, asking the Steelers if they'd like to be called "America's Team."

Art Rooney responded, "Heck no... we're Pittsburgh's team."

The Cowboys, needing attention, gladly accepted the offer.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
The difference between the two is that Ben has contributed to the franchise, and elevated the teams status and credentials in the league. Romo is a liability to his team. For all the hype around this guy, he's never done a thing. He couldn't even manage to hold a ball for his kicker without screwing it up and costing them the game.
I really can't stand any of the hype around Romo because he hasn't done shit in terms of huge wins - 1 playoff victory to show for his career there.

That said, a lot might agree with me that Romo was put into a "Carson Palmer scenario" - meaning, crappy ass ownership and supporting cast that you could never count on with piss poor attitude (or was getting arrested left and right). There is a rotating door at HC and no real time to gain any sort of chemistry. Him and the TE are close - but that's about all he's had. I think if you put Romo in a better org he might have a few more notches on his belt. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan - but, think about it - Romo on the Ravens the past 5 seasons instead of Flacco?
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049

I love it. But now Rex Ryan will be saying, "We're the Galaxy's Team," and Harbaby will be whining, "How did the Steelers get that title? It's an NFL conspiracy, Roger, Rooooooooger?"
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Ben's demeanor in that interview was like, "Do you guys even know the can of whoop-ass we are about to open up?"
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote