Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #71
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,119 Posts
Default Re: Connecticut school shooting

Yeah, well thought out answers there, Vis.

Thanks for putting so much thought into it. Appreciate your "deep" insight into the issue.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #72
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah, well thought out answers there, Vis.

Thanks for putting so much thought into it. Appreciate your "deep" insight into the issue.
Are you for real? Do you want an essay about religion and violence? Do you know the beliefs of the killer? I can do ten pages on the evils of religion and have. Shall we start a new thread?

There isn't a country other than ours that glorifies the gun. No Nordic country, certainly.

If you want a real solution other than gun control, it's universal healthcare that includes good psychological screening and care. Sell that in this country.

“The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it”
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #73
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Are you for real? Do you want an essay about religion and violence? Do you know the beliefs of the killer? I can do ten pages on the evils of religion and have. Shall we start a new thread?
No, but at least put a little more thought into the issue than a fucking picture.

Really? That's all you have? You don't have any thoughts of your own on the topic? Pathetic, IMO.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but my patience has worn thin with people after this tragedy. If you want more gun control, come up with decent reasons as to why, and explain. I've grown incredibly tired of internet memes from both sides. Time to talk about solutions, not pictures.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #74
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
No, but at least put a little more thought into the issue than a fucking picture.

Really? That's all you have? You don't have any thoughts of your own on the topic? Pathetic, IMO.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but my patience has worn thin with people after this tragedy. If you want more gun control, come up with decent reasons as to why, and explain. I've grown incredibly tired of internet memes from both sides. Time to talk about solutions, not pictures.

The picture says a lot. Mamma was a gun enthusiast. The reports say that she used to show her collection off to visiters. Her enthusiasm, if she wasn't also some sort of militia kook, isn't why this happened but it is why no rational discussion on the topic of reasonable gun restrictions is possible in this country. Maybe now we can. Maybe we can have Israel's rules. Maybe we can require proper training. I have a shotgun and a Glock 20. I have 3 kids ages 17, 16 and 10. they can't get to the guns and if they did, they couldn't make them fire or find the ammunition.

Today I saw a story about a 21 year old who shot himself in the head trying to show off the safety on his new gun. The responses on the story are all darwin jokes. The truth is, someone that unserious about the responsibilities shouldn't have a gun. He should had to get training which he should have failed.

“The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it”
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #75
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:

There isn't a country other than ours that glorifies the gun.
No Nordic country, certainly.

If you want a real solution other than gun control, it's universal healthcare that includes good psychological screening and care. Sell that in this country.
Really? We should put it on our flag then.

Trivia Question: What country's flag has an AK-47 on it?

Take a moment to think about it....

....keep thinking....

...seriously, there really is a country that has an AK-47 pictured on its flag...

...give up?....

...here's the flag....

...still can't figure it out, right?...

The answer is...

Mozambique.

Yes, Mozambique's national flag has a picture of an AK-47 on it. According to wikipedia the Kalashnikov assault rifle's image on the flag is supposed to symbolize the nation's struggle for independence.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #76
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
The picture says a lot. Mamma was a gun enthusiast. The reports say that she used to show her collection off to visiters. Her enthusiasm, if she wasn't also some sort of militia kook, isn't why this happened but it is why no rational discussion on the topic of reasonable gun restrictions is possible in this country. Maybe now we can. Maybe we can have Israel's rules. Maybe we can require proper training. I have a shotgun and a Glock 20. I have 3 kids ages 17, 16 and 10. they can't get to the guns and if they did, they couldn't make them fire or find the ammunition.

Today I saw a story about a 21 year old who shot himself in the head trying to show off the safety on his new gun. The responses on the story are all darwin jokes. The truth is, someone that unserious about the responsibilities shouldn't have a gun. He should had to get training which he should have failed.
By that logic cars should be banned too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #77
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:

Again, you're not offering any kind of solution...just commentary. So her son shot little kids because she was a gun enthusiast? And that's the reason no rational discussion is possible? Or do you just not want to take the time?

I've already highlighted what I think is necessary in bringing about legitimate gun regulation, how bout you?

Why would you not want your children to know how to properly shoot or handle the guns you have in your own home? I have a 10 year old daughter who perfectly understands life and death, and knows how to handle a gun. We keep ours locked up too), but she's values what pointing a gun at a living thing means. It's not a video game in our household.

And believe me, I'm all about proper training. It should be stricter than receiving your drivers license.

These are absolutely the things that need discussed though. Ignoring them and posting internet memes just furthers the problem. There is no solution until people start being totally honest with each other and trying to figure out why we are so much more far gone than other 1st world nations.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #78
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Again, you're not offering any kind of solution...just commentary. So her son shot little kids because she was a gun enthusiast? And that's the reason no rational discussion is possible? Or do you just not want to take the time?

I've already highlighted what I think is necessary in bringing about legitimate gun regulation, how bout you?

Why would you not want your children to know how to properly shoot or handle the guns you have in your own home? I have a 10 year old daughter who perfectly understands life and death, and knows how to handle a gun. We keep ours locked up too), but she's values what pointing a gun at a living thing means. It's not a video game in our household.

And believe me, I'm all about proper training. It should be stricter than receiving your drivers license.

These are absolutely the things that need discussed though. Ignoring them and posting internet memes just furthers the problem. There is no solution until people start being totally honest with each other and trying to figure out why we are so much more far gone than other 1st world nations.
I seen a guy on the tube giving his reason as to why this happened. He said it was because of those "simulated murder boxes" i.e x-box, playstations and they need to be banned too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #79
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:

Here is one from gun control nut Peggy Noonan of The Wall Street Journal

Congress should move quickly—really, right away—to ban something almost every member would ban next week if they were given a clean, short, unambiguous piece of legislation. Two years ago, after Tucson, I urgedPresident Obama to make such a bill a priority in his 2011 State of the Union Address.

A hot subject then was the polarizing nature of our political rhetoric. But I wrote:

Normal people are not afraid of a lowering of discourse in political speech. They don’t like it, but it’s not keeping them up nights. Normal people are afraid of nuts with guns. That keeps them up nights. They know our society has grown more broken, families more sundered, our culture more degraded, and they fear it is producing more lost and disturbed young people. They fear those young people walking into a school or a mall with a semiautomatic pistol with an extended clip.

What civilian needs a pistol with a magazine that loads 33 bullets and allows you to kill that many people without even stopping to reload? No one but people with bad intent. Those clips were banned once; the president should call for reimposing the ban
. . . . The president should seize the moment and come out strong for a ban.

http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #80
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:

"Gun enthusiast" is one term to describe the murdered mother - survivalist is another

The mother apparently told a kid who used to babysit the shooter never to turn his back on him. Yet the mother saw nothing wrong with teaching the murderer to become proficient in the use of the weapons used in the slaughter at Sandy Hook.? Walk me through what part of that was responsible parenting.

With regard to why, to use your term, "we are so much more far gone than other 1st world nations," I would respectfully submit the current talking points that blame it all on video games and inadequate mental health treatment ignores the elephant in the room (sorry to use a picture)

America’s gun-related murder rate is the highest in the developed world, excluding Mexico, where the ongoing drug war pushes the murder stats way up. The question of what causes the U.S. firearm-related homicide rate is a complicated one involving many variables, but it certainly seems plausible, especially the day after a knife attack in China injured 22 children but killed none, that one of those variables would be access to firearms. And, in this regard, America is truly exceptional.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n-four-charts/

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 12-18-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote