Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Steelers defense about to set franchise record

Not a good one.

This and last year's defenses are the most overrated in Steeler history. Contain, umbrella, prevent, and a paucity of big plays.

The Steelers swiped nine passes in the 11-game 1940 season that stands as their low-water mark, according to research by Steelers Digest. Unless they come up with two more over the next three games -- a big order for them the past two seasons -- they will go down in history as the worst team in the 80 years of the franchise at picking off passes.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2F2CsCWAF
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,983 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers defense about to set franchise record

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Not a good one.

This and last year's defenses are the most overrated in Steeler history. Contain, umbrella, prevent, and a paucity of big plays.

The Steelers swiped nine passes in the 11-game 1940 season that stands as their low-water mark, according to research by Steelers Digest. Unless they come up with two more over the next three games -- a big order for them the past two seasons -- they will go down in history as the worst team in the 80 years of the franchise at picking off passes.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2F2CsCWAF
Yea. Currently not my point of pride with the Steelers.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

This is true. Lewis and Ike are absolutely terrible at catching the ball. I don't understand why these guys especially Ike can't develop that part of his game.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,319 Times in 703 Posts

Overall our turnover ratio has been bad or awful the last 2 years and that definitely has to change. They continue to call our defense number 1 in the NFL but those numbers are so faulty it is ridiculous. On top of that we are failing to get to the QB consistently which is another big point of concern. Pressures and sacks help lead to turnovers so I don't know that I would put it on Ike's hands or on the DB's. They are partially at fault as they have dropped a few this year but the LB's need to get the quarterbacks.

That isn't just for interceptions either. A lot of fumbles can come from getting to the QB as well.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
This is true. Lewis and Ike are absolutely terrible at catching the ball. I don't understand why these guys especially Ike can't develop that part of his game.
I remember my first year of playing football when I was 12 years old, I had a pass thrown to me and it hit my facemask and fell to the ground. Everyone in the crowd laughed at me, including Karen the cheerleader I was in love with. In my shame I vowed that I would never drop another pass again. Throughout JR. High, JV and varsity football, I never dropped another pass.
Now if a 12 year old, no talent kid at a small single A school can have this resolve. Why can't these world class professional athletes like Ike or Mike Wallace simply catch the ball. It's the easiest part of their game.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torpedoshell31 For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Well, we had the worst O-line in to ever win a SB, so why not a secondary with 10 thumbs on each hand.
It does aggrevate the shit out of me to watch them drop the ball, but not as bad as the wide recievers.
WVABE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,983 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
Well, we had the worst O-line in to ever win a SB, so why not a secondary with 10 thumbs on each hand.
It does aggrevate the shit out of me to watch them drop the ball, but not as bad as the wide recievers.
who knows, maybe we'll be the first team to win a SB without completing 1 pass play in the game!?!?!

Or, probably not . . .

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,823 Times in 2,886 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

we probably set a franchise record in losses to sub .500 teams this year
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
steelersfan299
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24619

Our defense is pretty overated, our defensive line isn't that good, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley have combined for only 8 sacks, and part of our secondary struggled without Troy Polamalu.

However I am impressed with Lawrence Timmons this year and Keenan Lewis is doing a little better then i thought he would.
steelersfan299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,360 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
Throughout JR. High, JV and varsity football, I never dropped another pass. Now if a 12 year old, no talent kid at a small single A school can have this resolve. Why can't these world class professional athletes like Ike or Mike Wallace simply catch the ball. It's the easiest part of their game.
JV and high school quarterbacks =/= NFL talent quarterbacks in terms of how hard they're throwing that ball. They're corners because they're fast and agile, but also have the knack for dropping the ball. If they had the talent to catch, they'd be WRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan299 View Post
Our defense is pretty overated, our defensive line isn't that good, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley have combined for only 8 sacks, and part of our secondary struggled without Troy Polamalu.

However I am impressed with Lawrence Timmons this year and Keenan Lewis is doing a little better then i thought he would.
You realize our secondary was ranked first in terms of pass yardage allowed, right? All without Polamalu. Also, regarding Woodley only having a limited amount of sacks - there's two reasons for this. One, early in the year he was getting triple-teamed because Harrison couldn't generate any pressure on the right side. I'd like to see any OLB fight through a triple team and get consistent pressure and/or sacks. Secondly, he's been hurt on-and-off for the majority of the year.

I'm not even going to comment on the overrated defense because it's a ridiculous thing to say.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote