Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default TO Back to his shenanigan again

Anyone wanna make a guess as to when The Tuna is going to have a meltdown?? Will these owners never learn???

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/15265470.htm

COWBOYS NOTES
Jones: T.O. needs to practice in pain
By MAC ENGEL

SEATTLE -- The message to Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens is simple: Get used to it.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he has talked to some of Owens' trainers about the fact that Owens needs to get used to practice at what Jones called "75 percent."

"Terrell only knows one way: that's at 100 percent," Jones said. "As he goes on into his career, if he can consistently practice at that 75 to 80 percent [level], that will help. It's not a criticism."

Owens did not make the trip to Seattle. He remains out with a sore hamstring, and there is no timetable for his return.

This was on Profootballtalk.com

JONES TRYING TO AVERT T.O-TUNA MELTDOWN?

There's an odd item in Sunday's Fort Worth Star-Telegram regarding the potential volcano that currently is rumbling beneath the Cowboys' training camp in Oxnard.

Per Mac Engel, Cowboys owner/G.M. Jerry Jones says that he has sent a message to receiver Terrell Owens that the star receiver needs to get used to practicing at "75 percent."

It's not clear whether Owens actually got the message, since Jones communicated it to "some of Owens' trainers," an apparent reference to T.O.'s personal rehab crew that has been brought to camp to help him recover from a hamstring problem so severe that an MRI showed, well, no damage at all.

"Terrell only knows one way: that's at 100 percent," Jones said. "As he goes on into his career, if he can consistently practice at that 75 to 80 percent [level], that will help. It's not a criticism."

If it's not a criticism, what is it? It's not like Owens is a rookie who's trying to find his way in the mystical world of the NFL. He has shown in the past that, whatever happens in the preseason, he's ready to roll come September.

So why wouldn't Jones have the discussion directly with Owens? Does Jerry fear that, given T.O.'s reputation, there's no way to speak to him about the situation on a face-to-face basis without Owens presuming that he's being attacked or challenged?

And would Owens be wrong to view the "message" in such terms? The root of the situation is that Owens genuinely believes that he can't practice, and the team genuinely disagrees. Thus, the team essentially is challenging the player's assessment of his own health and condition.

Regardless, we think that the message here didn't originate with Jones, but with coach Bill Parcells. As we've recently explained, Parcells is privately telling folks "I told you so" about the decision to sign Owens, and that Parcells hates guys who won't practice or play in pain. Given, however, the intense media scrutiny of the Owens situation, and the consequences of a premature eruption of Mount Receiver-ass, the Tuna realizes that he can't handle the situation in the way that he has handled similar circumstances in the past.

In that regard, Owens already has won, by forcing Parcells to alter his nature. We assumed that Parcells would be knee-deep into T.O.'s rear end come training camp, in an effort to force him to snap, if at all, before the regular season starts.

Instead, Parcells is tiptoeing around Prince Terrell, likely because the veteran coach knows in his heart that, if he unloads on Owens, the Cowboys will be right in the middle of the same problem that the Eagles experienced a year ago.

Regardless of whether the ultimate motivation is to enhance the environment for winning or to avoid giving the media and/or the Eagles the satisfaction of seeing the situation in Dallas explode, our guess in light of Jones' remarks is that Parcells is getting closer to the end of his rope, and that he's giving the guy who writes the checks one chance to get Owens onto the practice field before the Tuna takes matters into his own hands.

Thus, with the first real game only four weeks away, we stand by our belief that there's a distinct chance that, come September 10, either Owens or Parcells will not be with the team.

In this regard, keep in mind that the Cowboys will avoid any responsibility for Owens' $5 million salary if he is not on the roster when the season opens. Though the remaining $3.4 million of his $5 million signing bonus would accelerate instantly against the 2006 salary cap, the net hit would actually be a gain on $1.6 million in cap space, if Parcells ultimately insists that Owens be released -- and if Jones agrees.

We're not suggesting that such an outcome is likely or even probable at this point. But it's definitely possible, and it's significantly more possible than it was when camp in Dallas opened.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: TO Back to his shenanigan again

Let the countdown begin.......
Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun!
Thorny: [referring to Farva] Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.
Foster: [after a pause] Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all.
Mac: [in a silly voice] Evil shenanigans!

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I reiterate my belief that T.O. is a pickle-head. Should be quite an entertaining season in Dallas.

It's hard to believe this guy beat out 1,000,000 other swimming little critters.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
It's hard to believe this guy beat out 1,000,000 other swimming little critters.
Another reason why it is within the public's best interest to advocate safe sex! Lol.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun!
Thorny: [referring to Farva] Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.
Foster: [after a pause] Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all.
Mac: [in a silly voice] Evil shenanigans!

BuFu
i swear to god im gonna pistol whip someone the enxt time they say shenanigans

Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

You mean Shenanigans?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

You know, im not a huge fan of T.O. - I think he is the genuine lockeroom cancer.

But, I cannot understand the controversy here - T.O showed amazing powers of recuperation when he made it to the SB with the Eagles - despite being written off by just about every pundit.

Not only did he take the field, but he caught alot of balls and was the Eagles most dangerous offensive threat.

Im going to presume that the guy he wants to help him recover from this injury is the very same guy who done such a great job getting him to the SB.

As far as practicing while 70-80%, I think its absolute madness.

T.O is not someone who needs massive amount of practice to hone his skills - he is the most skillful WR in the game already.

Why would you have him risk his health in meaningless preseason games?

And if you wanted a 'team player' - one who is willing to go the extra yard to bond with his new QB and coaches...well......you shouldn't have signed T.O. should you?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Let face it, T.O should be out of football, its all about "me,me,me" with him, but teams look past the fact that he ultimately breaks a team apart because come game day, T.O is going to make some big plays. I think that the NFL teams should have made a statement with Owens and not signed him to any team. This would have sent a message to future players. But if your an owner looking to win games and T.O is on the market. What do you do?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
It's not clear whether Owens actually got the message, since Jones communicated it to "some of Owens' trainers," an apparent reference to T.O.'s personal rehab crew that has been brought to camp to help him recover from a hamstring problem so severe that an MRI showed, well, no damage at all.
I'm surprised Jones and Parcells would permit a "personal rehab crew" on or around the training camp facility and I'm also surprised Jerry Jones would deliver an important message like that via second hand instead of doing face to face.
If Jerry Jones is trying to avoid a confrontation with T.O. by not talking to him personally then Owens has already established that he's in the drivers seat and is in a prime situation to do what he does best which is cause problems and be disruptive.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #10
mymaveric
Water Boy

Member Number: 471

I'm impressed that he hasn't imploded already. I was one of the minority when it came to signing him in the first place. They've shown way too much patience with him so far already; I'm just hoping it ends soon before he decides to see how far he can abuse his privileges...
mymaveric is offline   Reply With Quote