Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #141
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556
Default Re: Ben Disappointed There Wasn’t More No-huddle Used Against Cowboys

I think it's a little unfair to judge Haley based on the facts that: Ben's skills set as mentioned many times by others, does not lend itself to diagnosing the D and what is given and getting rid of the ball quickly. The receivers have been pretty bad this season. The line that was supposed to be shored up with additions of DeCastro and Adams never was able to due to injuries. So, trying to run the ball with subpar running backs, subpar o line, subpar receivers (this season) a bad defense that makes offense not want to take risks, which of course leads to turnovers as you are confining your efforts and paying too close to the vest. Seriously, it was a shit show this season but Haley would be one of the last to get blame in my book.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #142
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Just watched a recap of Sunday's game on NFL Turning Point and I didn't know that Brandon Carr once played for Haley @ KC.After hearing the converstation and analyzation of the Int in OT, it appears that Carr jumped the play based on his knowledge of Haley's offense. Ben didn't know it but Dal was waiting on that play. Wow!
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #143
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,826 Times in 6,085 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Just watched a recap of Sunday's game on NFL Turning Point and I didn't know that Brandon Carr once played for Haley @ KC.After hearing the converstation and analyzation of the Int in OT, it appears that Carr jumped the play based on his knowledge of Haley's offense. Ben didn't know it but Dal was waiting on that play. Wow!
but Haley might have known that, which is why Ben maybe shouldn't have been calling the plays in that situation...
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #144
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
but Haley might have known that, which is why Ben maybe shouldn't have been calling the plays in that situation...
True dat. Adds a little more perspective for me, to the ending of the game.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #145
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,638 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Hmmm... very interesting point.

That said, I trust BB with the no huddle. As soon as he goes to it, I am 100% convinced that he will lead the team down for a TD.

Maybe I am still stuck in the midst of the ending of SuperBowl XLIII, but every single time that BB starts a late-game drive, I think: "Sweet!!! Here we go!!!" At the end of XLV, I thought that... until the very last down. And, this past weekend was no different: as soon as they went no huddle in OT, I was like, "Sweet!!! The Steelers got this in the bag!!!"

Maybe I'm ostriching, but I just have blind, unruffable faith that BB will come through... always.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #146
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I have and will be a Ben supporter and defender. His comments from the pre-season when Haley and him were just getting to know each other I felt where more reporter fodder than real news. This last comment while spoken in frustration should of been done in private, not publicly. In this instance Ben was in the wrong, you do not hang out team mates or coaches. The point he apologized earlier in the week speaks that either he came to the same realization or was told by someone he respects/answers to. I am not saying Ben is wrong in what he said or that he does not have input, I am saying he is wrong to "air dirty laundry". This team needs as much team unity as possible. Hopefully this will solidify their working relationship and bring some consistency to this offense. I still think a balanced offense is more potent than pass happy or run dependent teams. Times have changed though and a balanced offense does not mean 50-50 today, more along the lines of 60-40. I still think that Bellicheks biggest strength as a coach is once he finds a weakness or finds he has an advantage somewhere, he keeps exploiting that advantage until you do something to negate that advantage. Other coaches seem to try and overthink by saying lets "mix it up". I think that if the passing game is clicking then keep the pedal pushed, and vice versa if the running game is working then by all means do not quit pounding the rock. I also still think we are just not strong enough up front or talented enough at RB to have a good running game yet.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #147
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I think it's a little unfair to judge Haley based on the facts that: Ben's skills set as mentioned many times by others, does not lend itself to diagnosing the D and what is given and getting rid of the ball quickly. The receivers have been pretty bad this season. The line that was supposed to be shored up with additions of DeCastro and Adams never was able to due to injuries. So, trying to run the ball with subpar running backs, subpar o line, subpar receivers (this season) a bad defense that makes offense not want to take risks, which of course leads to turnovers as you are confining your efforts and paying too close to the vest. Seriously, it was a shit show this season but Haley would be one of the last to get blame in my book.
This is a big reason why the team sits at 7-7. They're playing small ball. They're so scared about what "could" happen. Ben "could" get hurt, or the defense "could" give up a big play. So they dumb down their strengths to try and hide their perceived weaknesses.

How many teams have won a super bowl playing scared?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #148
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I have and will be a Ben supporter and defender. His comments from the pre-season when Haley and him were just getting to know each other I felt where more reporter fodder than real news. This last comment while spoken in frustration should of been done in private, not publicly. In this instance Ben was in the wrong, you do not hang out team mates or coaches. The point he apologized earlier in the week speaks that either he came to the same realization or was told by someone he respects/answers to. I am not saying Ben is wrong in what he said or that he does not have input, I am saying he is wrong to "air dirty laundry". This team needs as much team unity as possible. Hopefully this will solidify their working relationship and bring some consistency to this offense. I still think a balanced offense is more potent than pass happy or run dependent teams. Times have changed though and a balanced offense does not mean 50-50 today, more along the lines of 60-40. I still think that Bellicheks biggest strength as a coach is once he finds a weakness or finds he has an advantage somewhere, he keeps exploiting that advantage until you do something to negate that advantage. Other coaches seem to try and overthink by saying lets "mix it up". I think that if the passing game is clicking then keep the pedal pushed, and vice versa if the running game is working then by all means do not quit pounding the rock. I also still think we are just not strong enough up front or talented enough at RB to have a good running game yet.
Ricco, what we see playing out right now is exactly what I was concerned about during the offseason. The media isn't just making stuff up ... there's a problem there. It's been there all along just festering. And despite Ben's apology, I don't think it's over.

Here's what Jerome Bettis had to say about it on Mike and Mike:

Quote:
"You know, it's clearly a problem. It's been a problem all year. They've been able to mask the problem, I think partly because of Ben's injury and other issues they've had to deal with. But it's always been there. ...

I think as this year goes on, and as the losses start to mount, there's a frustration there that you're going to start to see more and more, so if they can kind of get through and get a couple more wins, I think it can die down, but I think you're going to start to see this, if they can't get to the playoffs, I think it's going to explode right here in the offseason."

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8754574
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #149
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Wallace I know you called this early in the off season and while I will agree this should never have happened on Ben's part, I am not ready to concede that all the crap printed early on was the "smoke before the fire". I still believe the media was on fishing expeditions and while Ben's quotes could be perceived as inflammatory most were nothing more than sound bites and attempts at humor. Even non vocal stories such as Ben had not met with Haley were taken out of context, and most of the printed articles with the emphasis on certain phrases were much worse in print than when listened to by the human ear as spoken. Ben has apologized and I hope this is the end of it, but I am afraid it makes for a dull story line so I expect some more commentary even if nothing else happens.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #150
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Wallace I know you called this early in the off season and while I will agree this should never have happened on Ben's part, I am not ready to concede that all the crap printed early on was the "smoke before the fire". I still believe the media was on fishing expeditions and while Ben's quotes could be perceived as inflammatory most were nothing more than sound bites and attempts at humor. Even non vocal stories such as Ben had not met with Haley were taken out of context, and most of the printed articles with the emphasis on certain phrases were much worse in print than when listened to by the human ear as spoken. Ben has apologized and I hope this is the end of it, but I am afraid it makes for a dull story line so I expect some more commentary even if nothing else happens.
You and me both, Ricco.