Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #41
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts
Default Re: Ben Disappointed There Wasn’t More No-huddle Used Against Cowboys

Agree with the earlier poster that Ben has been peddling passive-agressive messages for months. His latest comments are the latest indication of a team coming apart

Starting with the offseason drama with Arians/Haley, it has been a series of problems other than injuries (Wallace holdout/Mendenhall mind games/Woodley getting even fatter). Hines Ward said several weeks ago that there was not a clear leader on offense, which I suppose goes back to Hines for whatever reason always having issues with Ben. With the Chargers having been blown out at home by the freaking Carolina Panthers after last week's disgrace, it seems to me the offense has tuned out the coaches. Only skill player who has performed at a consistently high level is Heath Miller - too bad his do your job and keep your mouth shut attitude is an outlier on the offense

Ben was having his best year and not getting the crap beat out of him every play until the KC injury - the fact that he clearly preferred the good old days when the offensive scheme was regarded by other players as being more for the benefit of Ben than the benefit of the team (Ward also had some comments on that as well) says a lot

For reasons having nothing to do with its record this is one of my least favorite Steelers teams of the last 20 years.

With all the changes coming up Ben is going to need to lead this team in the coming years - his behavior this year makes me wonder if he is up to the task
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I somehow doubt that a play was sent in calling for Ben to end the game by throwing up an interception. TBH, when an offense is executing as poorly as we were, I don't see why a coach would let the players take more control.
Poor execution is sometimes due to lack of confidence in the play that's been called. Generally, when players believe it's the right call, they are more cautious about executing it well.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #43
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I wish Ben would just say that as the QB he is responsible for losses and leave it at that. (as he gets the accolades for wins - even if it was the defense that helped him earn that win)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #44
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,250 Posts
My Mood: Fine

IMO - Ben has earned the right to have more input. However, Ben needs to spend more time building chemistry with the receivers and chewing their asses out for dropping the ball and fumbling than worrying about the play call.

EDIT: If Haley is in fact only here for this year, it is my belief that unless they bring up Ben's friend - you'll see more whining and more inconsistency. The flip side of Ben getting his way, is that he'll go back to getting sacked 6 million times instead of 4 million times. I just don't believe his input is for the sake of progress.

Someone mentioned that his career is evening out - I'm starting to lean that way a little - especially when I see the regression of some of the offensive talent. What does it mean when your top 3 receivers can't be counted on? Looking for receivers AGAIN? Yikes!

EDIT 2: This says it all about Ben's capabilities as a leader. If Ben is saying these things to the media - can you imagine what he is saying to his teammates, to the coaches? For a guy that almost got traded to Siberia - I really expect a lot better. After the 2nd allegation against Ben - some people cautioned about Ben going back to being his old self again after the dust settled. Looks like we might already be at this point. There's only one guarantee about the Steelers. If no one steps up Jermoe, Hines, or even Joey Porter style - this team won't win another SB in a looooong time. Did anyone see the NFL Network FX on Peyton Manning? The guy exudes leader and lifts everyone up around him. He is at the top of his game, and the leader-like qualities compliment his sound football. I love Ben's unorthodox play. However, as a person, and apparently his attitude when he doesn't get his way, is just awful. If I'm wrong, then maybe Ben needs to be more PC so fans like me won't call him out on it. Not that it matters - but it looks like Ben's piss poor attitude is also a factor into the 7-7 record. Go ahead Ben, get your way. It won't get you what you want. (1-2 more rings). So sick of this kind of shit:

"But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ

Last edited by steelfury02; 12-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #45
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
IMO - Ben has earned the right to have more input. However, Ben needs to spend more time building chemistry with the receivers and chewing their asses out for dropping the ball and fumbling than worrying about the play call.

EDIT: If Haley is in fact only here for this year, it is my belief that unless they bring up Ben's friend - you'll see more whining and more inconsistency. The flip side of Ben getting his way, is that he'll go back to getting sacked 6 million times instead of 4 million times. I just don't believe his input is for the sake of progress.

Someone mentioned that his career is evening out - I'm starting to lean that way a little - especially when I see the regression of some of the offensive talent. What does it mean when your top 3 receivers can't be counted on? Looking for receivers AGAIN? Yikes!

EDIT 2: This says it all about Ben's capabilities as a leader. If Ben is saying these things to the media - can you imagine what he is saying to his teammates, to the coaches? For a guy that almost got traded to Siberia - I really expect a lot better. After the 2nd allegation against Ben - some people cautioned about Ben going back to being his old self again after the dust settled. Looks like we might already be at this point. There's only one guarantee about the Steelers. If no one steps up Jermoe, Hines, or even Joey Porter style - this team won't win another SB in a looooong time. Did anyone see the NFL Network FX on Peyton Manning? The guy exudes leader and lifts everyone up around him. He is at the top of his game, and the leader-like qualities compliment his sound football. I love Ben's unorthodox play. However, as a person, and apparently his attitude when he doesn't get his way, is just awful. If I'm wrong, then maybe Ben needs to be more PC so fans like me won't call him out on it. Not that it matters - but it looks like Ben's piss poor attitude is also a factor into the 7-7 record. Go ahead Ben, get your way. It won't get you what you want. (1-2 more rings). So sick of this kind of shit:

"But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”
If you think Ben is the biggest problem with this team then you need to get your head checked....
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
If you think Ben is the biggest problem with this team then you need to get your head checked....
Ben's attitude potentially being "a factor" does not indicate it is the biggest problem with the team

Ben has been pining away for Arians all season and it is not helpful
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #47
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ben's attitude potentially being "a factor" does not indicate it is the biggest problem with the team

Ben has been pining away for Arians all season and it is not helpful
When has he been saying he wanted Arians back? Deep down does he want it? Wouldn't surprise me. But openly when has he said "bring back Arians?"
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #48
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
When has he been saying he wanted Arians back? Deep down does he want it? Wouldn't surprise me. But openly when has he said "bring back Arians?"
GoFor7 - I'm not stating that Ben is a leading problem. Matter of fact, I believe Ben is the least of the concerns on the offensive side of the ball. However, do you not find it at least a little worrisome that the one guy that is supposed to be the leader, is taking his time to throw the OC under the bus, in front of the media? This is a trend with Ben. As a fan, I get a little tired of hearing about how the Steelers organization is above all else, and then seeing the QB who represents this team acting like the most hated QB next to the dog murderer. It is especially hard to read his passive aggressiveness after all the things he has been accused of. You would think he would be a lot more humbled, at least in front of the cameras. Then you see the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, both Mannings, Brady - who yes, while I love to hate because the media drools over them and gives them waaay too much love, acting like leaders and honing their game because they are willing to accept the idea that they can become even better and it is doubly hard to take Ben's BS. He has two rings, but as I've stated before - he won't get another one unless he drops the shit-attitude and embraces change. He needs to accept that he doesn't know best and his ego is getting in the way. What kind of friend do you want - the one that blows smoke up your ass all the time telling you how great you are, and you drink your own bathwater - or the friend that tells it like it is and then you truly know where you stand? Ben can be a lot better than he is right now. Hell - I think he could be the best damn QB in the league, if he only could step up to the plate and be the leader he is capable of. There is a difference between 2x winning Super Bowl QB, and those who were able to help create a dynasty with 3 or 4, and especially as they had to make changes as they aged. Ben needs to drop the shit or his best days are behind him.

Atlanta Dan - very succinct - thank you. IMO - Ben needs to be the one guy who isn't saying things, especially now. That is all I'm calling him out for really. Although, I do have a problem with some of his throws, due to the injury - not totally his fault, and, there is no reason to go with someone else - he is our best chance to win, whether at 60 or 100%.

The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
lardlad (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #49
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Oh please - do you really contend the only way to conclude he has been in mourning is if he flat out says bring back Arians

Dissing the current OC to the news media in a manner that he never dissed his good buddy says it all

Yesterday is not the first time he has trashed the play calling

In a story in Sunday's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Ben Roethlisberger had the following exchange with writer Joe Starkey.

Roethlisberger: "Haley's offense is not a big-play offense, it's kind of a dink-and-dunk offense."

Starkey: "Is there room for more quick strikes?"

Roethlisberger: "We did that last week (82-yard pass to Mike Wallace)."

Starkey: "Right, but you never went back to it."

Roethlisberger: "There's a guy calling the plays. That's on him."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...fense/1647279/

And letting the news media know he was the better man during a sideline confrontation with Haley

"We had one little incident," Roethlisberger said.

It happened during the Denver game Sept. 9 when the Steelers were beaten, 31-19.

"I walked away. I'll leave it at that. I walked away,"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz27IW6v6F9

For good measure he decided to take a shot in mini-camp last May at anyone (I guess that would include the owner who canned BA) who did not like the previous play calling

Ben Roethlisberger is throwing some nice passes at Steelers OTAs. He‘s also throwing some darts, though it can be difficult to decipher their targets. And their significance.

Take our cryptic exchange, for example.

It didn‘t last long, perhaps because Ben had to resume the arduous process of getting a new playbook shoved down his throat. But it might have contained a large clue about coordinator Todd Haley‘s “Rosetta Stone” offense.

Or not.

I began by acknowledging the obvious: Roethlisberger understandably was not pleased with the coordinator change
. So is it now just a matter of getting on board?

“Yeah, absolutely,” Ben said. “You have no choice.”

Then came a dart.

“And like I said, every day‘s getting a little bit better, and we‘re learning -- and we‘ll be running the ball a lot this year, so fans should be happy.”

Me: “Will you guys be running a lot?”

Him: “I think so.”

Me: “Is that the plan?”

Him: “That‘s the way it seems ... I know the fans want it, so it looks like they‘ll be getting their wish.”

http://triblive.com/sports/1885118-7...#axzz2FKEEWMpT

What you can say and what you should say are different - this crap has been going on all year

Ben is a great QB but his off the field behavior has some shortcomings
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #50
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Maybe Ben is just cranky cause he isn't getting any and losing sleep because of Ben Jr.!?!?!?

It really is shocking that someone with his history would act the way he's been acting. Of course, maybe it isn't all that much of a surprise, and in fact - while he is one of the best QBs to play the game, that's just it. Other than that - he is a dunder head.