Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #61
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default Re: Ben Disappointed There Wasn’t More No-huddle Used Against Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
And the Steelers need to learn to do what other teams with franchise QBs do: treat him well and not worry about "putting him in his place." You all hate hearing it, but in today's NFL the franchise QB is bigger than the rest of the team. When the owner, who has never played a down of football in his life, says the QB needs to change, lies about how the previous OC was disposed of, then goes on a media tour in which he continues to lie about it, nothing good will come of it.

It works both ways. Ben has to play well, but as a franchise QB, ownership needs to treat him well and stop trying to "put him in his place."
GoFor7, all good points, I absolutely disagreed with the way the Arians situation was handled by Rooney and how it conflicted with what Tomlin said. However, how did Ben help the situation? He is equally responsible for the OC issue flaming up again, months later, when it didn't have to be forced out again by what he said. Ben IMO needed to be put in his place. You can't get any closer to death or prison than he has and still just get to do what you want - and especially at that level. What has Ben done lately to earn the "I'm bigger than the franchise?" If he truly earned it, it would have meant he has done and said all the right things, and helped turn this ship around since the 09 season - he hasn't. He's contributed to more issues than solutions IMO.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #62
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
So Ben calling out Haley relates to his previous off the field issues how.....?

Yes, you are making knee-jerk reactions.
Well, you're making a knee-jerk reaction to my knee jerk reaction? Does that make the conversation more fruitful or insightful?

What does calling Haley out do exactly? What does it do to better the team? What was the purpose?

I'll just leave it at this: If you're the "Bigger than the Franchise QB" and you've earned the right to call the shots - you don't call out the OC, you don't call out the ownership, and you don't' call out the fans - which has been indicated in Atlanta Dan's quotes. You especially don't act this way after the hand that feeds you decides to let you stay after jeopardizing its fortunes, not once, but twice. You don't make comments about fans getting what you want after they gladly accept you back because you're a winner, even though you've been accused of sexual abuse, TWICE. The guy calling out Haley is a shining example of doing what you want, saying what you want, because you feel that you can. Again, I don't know Ben - but he sure is portraying himself as one of the most hated QBs ever. When people think of QBs they hate - its the dog murder, and "the rapist" Nice rep. But ya know - he got married and had a kid. Forget everything else. Let Ben have his say and we'll continue to see the same product since 09 - almost, but not quite.

Agree to disagree.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #63
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
And the Steelers need to learn to do what other teams with franchise QBs do: treat him well and not worry about "putting him in his place." You all hate hearing it, but in today's NFL the franchise QB is bigger than the rest of the team. When the owner, who has never played a down of football in his life, says the QB needs to change, lies about how the previous OC was disposed of, then goes on a media tour in which he continues to lie about it, nothing good will come of it.

It works both ways. Ben has to play well, but as a franchise QB, ownership needs to treat him well and stop trying to "put him in his place."
OK - now you have opened the door - it took a possible rape prosecution for Ben to apparently get that out of his system - remember when Tomlin literally stood by his side after the first allegations and Ben reciprocated by going to Milledegeville? If that is not treating him well I do not know what is. If the Steelers would have wanted to put Ben in his place they would have traded his ass to Oakland in 2010

Instead they did what was best for the team and kept #7

Canning Arians was done for the same reason - doing what was best for the team - the offense was consistently mediocre from 2007 - 2011 and Ben was getting sacked repeatedly. The owner who has never played a down of football had a $100 million investment to protect. If Ben felt that strongly about keeping Arians he should have taken less money in return for having an opt out clause in his contract unless he had veto power over the selection of the OC.

If Ben wanted to save BA's job then he should have figured out a way to put up more points. But sometimes life is unfair - you or I may like a particular boss but if the boss does not meet his numbers over time the boss is gone.

I have no problem with Ben raising hell in the locker room or with Colbert or with AJR II about his concerns - my problem is about bitching with the media

IMO it is great that Dan Rooney is coming back to deal with both the problems on his own team and the problems the league is facing - my guess is if Ben wants to air this out with Dan Rooney he will be heard
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #64
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
OK - now you have opened the door - it took a possible rape prosecution for Ben to apparently get that out of his system - remember when Tomlin literally stood by his side after the first allegations and Ben reciprocated by going to Milledegeville? If that is not treating him well I do not know what is. If the Steelers would have wanted to put Ben in his place they would have traded his ass to Oakland in 2010

Instead they did what was best for the team and kept #7

Canning Arians was done for the same reason - doing what was best for the team - the offense was consistently mediocre from 2007 - 2011 and Ben was getting sacked repeatedly. The owner who has never played a down of football had a $100 million investment to protect. If Ben felt that strongly about keeping Arians he should have taken less money in return for having an opt out clause in his contract unless he had veto power over the selection of the OC.

If Ben wanted to save BA's job then he should have figured out a way to put up more points. But sometimes life is unfair - you or I may like a particular boss but if the boss does not meet his numbers over time the boss is gone.

I have no problem with Ben raising hell in the locker room or with Colbert or with AJR II about his concerns - my problem is about bitching with the media

IMO it is great that Dan Rooney is coming back to deal with both the problems on his own team and the problems the league is facing - my guess is if Ben wants to air this out with Dan Rooney he will be heard
GoFor7 - I don't mean to pour it on - we obviously disagree with the correlation of Ben's comments and his past deeds - which is perfectly ok

You made some fantastic points about how Rooney handled it. Not good at all. Actually - if Rooney and Ben just came out and said we don't agree on this, but winning is more important - that would have been a whole lot better. I think we can agree - this has been one of the most frustrating seasons over the past decade. From the top down this season, sure doesn't seem like our Steelers, does it?

Atlanta Dan - you beat me to it! The Ambassador is coming back, and I think that will sooth some things.

Agree to disagree.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #65
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

All other players aside. This thread is about what Ben said and some people are questioning his leadership skills. I agree I don't think he is a great leader, at least I don't see it if he is.

How good Ben is, how mean Harrison is and how many guns he owns, and how many WR dropped Bens passes and turned them over. How Ben handled this loss is not the sign of a strong leader. You can say all the great things you want about Ben, and you'll likely be right. You can say all the nasty things about other players on the team and you'll likely be right. In this case, after this game what he said, it was a dickish move and you have to worry about the teams 'health' right now.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #66
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Odd that Mendenhall gets more love from some on here than Ben, even though Mendy hasn't done squat for us in years.

I also believe Indy with BA is doing very well on offense with a rookie. Could it be that the ten others on offense matter and that game plans should be made based on the strengths of the individuals that will be playing?

For those who have no problems speaking poorly about Ben, you'll get your chance for a choirboy QB at some point. Then we'll see you post about the good old days of BB. I personally have no problem in Ben calling out Haley. The offensive game plan DOES suck and does not play to our strengths.

Anyone ever think that the problem may be Tomlin? It's apparent that BB doesn't feel like he's getting enough of a sounding board from Mike Tomlin, thus the frustration coming out to the media.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tucker6 For This Useful Post:
defence (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #67
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I also believe Indy with BA is doing very well on offense with a rookie. Could it be that the ten others on offense matter and that game plans should be made based on the strengths of the individuals that will be playing?
WTF?

Hines Ward said several weeks ago the problem under Arians was that only one player mattered

Hines Ward may have hit on the nose the reason why Art Rooney wanted Bruce Arians out as offensive coordinator:
Said Ward on his NBC-TV gig Sunday: “Sometimes when you get so close, partiality sets in and you don’t know if Bruce Arians is doing what’s best for the Steelers or if he’s doing what’s best for Ben Roethlisberger. I think that set in and they had to part ways because when you go out there and you can’t decide what’s best for the team and you’re doing what’s best for the players. That can be a problem.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-arians-firing
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #68
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
WTF?

Hines Ward said several weeks ago the problem under Arians was that only one player mattered

Hines Ward may have hit on the nose the reason why Art Rooney wanted Bruce Arians out as offensive coordinator:
Said Ward on his NBC-TV gig Sunday: “Sometimes when you get so close, partiality sets in and you don’t know if Bruce Arians is doing what’s best for the Steelers or if he’s doing what’s best for Ben Roethlisberger. I think that set in and they had to part ways because when you go out there and you can’t decide what’s best for the team and you’re doing what’s best for the players. That can be a problem.”

Ben wants another buddy in there, aka - he doesn't really want an OC telling him what to do. He is portraying this at least with the dick comments

Agree to disagree.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #69
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Quote:
WTF?

Yeah, and how's that working out for us? Seemed to work well for three SB runs. Seems to work well in Indy. Works well in NE, Den, NYG, GB, NO, etc that the franchise QB matters first and foremost. To me, the Steelers are pissing into the wind on this one and it will backfire, if it hasn't already done so. I see the TEAM unraveling before my eyes.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #70
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Yeah, and how's that working out for us? Seemed to work well for three SB runs. Seems to work well in Indy. Works well in NE, Den, NYG, GB, NO, etc that the franchise QB matters first and foremost. To me, the Steelers are pissing into the wind on this one and it will backfire, if it hasn't already done so. I see the TEAM unraveling before my eyes.
Indy has played a last place bottom feeder schedule (like Cincy played in 2009) - look at who they have beaten and who has schooled them (Houston and New England) before you proclaim Arians a miracle worker

The Steelers did not fire the second coming of Bill Walsh and replace him with Haley - the offense had underperformed for years and in the proces was runnning an offensive scheme that was taking yeras off the productive life of the franchise QB - although maybe he likes to get hurt based upon that insane bootleg he ran for a 2 yard gain in the first half yesterday. I would love to know if Haley called that play

As stated previously, if Ben wanted to save BA he should have put up points under that system comparable to those put up by the teams to which you contend the BA regime was comparable
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Steel_Bus_24 (12-17-2012)