Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Question Yellow Jackets

I just found a Yellow Jackets nest up inside and under my soffitt. Can't actually see the nest but know it is there. How would I get to this nest to remove them? Obviously I just can't burn them out with out burning the house down?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504
Default Re: Yellow Jackets

What's a soffitt? Depending on how big the gap is you could seal them in....or just smoked them out. But I don't know what a soffitt is.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm taking it that soffit is your staircase?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Soffitt is the vinyl stuff that you put under your eaves to hide the rafters.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Soffitt is the vinyl stuff that you put under your eaves to hide the rafters.
You mean the things that are behind/underneath the rain-gutters?

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

You run a high risk by doing anything yourself. Yellow Jackets are nasty little customers who respond very aggresively to any real or perceived attack.

With that being said, you can purchase products which can produce smoke with little or no risk of actual fire to burn the timber in the eaves. ACE Hardware was always very good at pointing me in the right direction.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Dude, i just had the exact same problem.

First thing, DO NOT TRY TO SEAL THEM IN!
The yellow jackest will seach for a way out. They will start digging through things. They may dig into your home. While a colony of yellow jackets pouring into your home may make for a really good story, I imagine its one best left unexperienced.

I tried sealing my colony in at first and they still found a way out. I then started calling pest control guys and they all said to not try to seal them in. Apparently they can eat through drywall like its nothing. Lathe and plaster takes a little more work, but I would not try my luck with this technique.

I found the going rate for removal is about $160-$210 in the Seattle area. Most of them said that they would inject pesticide into the enclosed area and that would do it.

However, I found one guy that said he could either come out and do the job for $200 or he would sell me a can of stuff for $30 that I could do on my own.

I bought it on Friday, used it the same day, and it appears the colony is now dead.

The product is a can of pressurized silica and pyrethrin dust. The brand name of it is TRI-DIE. The manufacturers website is wmmg.com according to the can. The guy who sold it to me said that he is the only person who sells this product to the public in the Puget Sound area, so it may be hard to find.

I was instructed to wait until late at night when the colony was less active. Then I was supposed to stick the 2 foot long straw attachment of the can into the entrance as far as I could, pulling back and forth for 15 seconds. Thats it.

I couldn't get the straw through the entrance they were using because it was too serpentine. So I sprayed some dust into the entrance. Then I drilled 2 small holes into the soffit near the entrance. I sprayed about 10 seconds into each hole. There was no more activity in about 6 hours.

Apparently the yellow jackets(or any other bug) will pick up the dust and carry it into the hive. It kills them by destroying their respiratory system.

Because they are yellow jackets, you should not have to worry about tearing into the soffit to remove the hive. You can just leave it there. They should not re-nest.

I don't mean to be patronizing by saying this, but make sure they are yellow jackets and not honey bees. If it was a honey bee colony, the honey left behind could cause staining and attract other pests. Plus honey bees are protected and you aren't allowed to kill them (at least out here). You can normally find a bee enthusiast who will come and remove the colony for free (minus the carpentry fees needed to get to the colony).

Anyway, I hope this helps. How random is it that the week I learn all this about yellow jackets that I stumble on your post on a Steelers website. The internet is making the world smaller every day.

Last edited by Hawk Believer; 08-13-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Here is a link to a site that will sell you the can of the pesticide I was refering to (for more than half off what I paid I might add) in case you can't find a retailer in your area. I'd call to make sure they threw in the straw. The straw is exactly like the ones you's get for a WD40 bottle, just extra long so you can insert it further.

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/s...key=Whittridie
Old 08-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,625 Times in 2,870 Posts

what are eaves, and rafters and soffits!?!?!? im glad all uf us in the southwest live in teepees and adobe mud huts.

actually i had to get rid of a small hornets nest below my porch light a few weeks ago. the can of raid ant and roach spray i had seememd to do the trick. and to make it extra exciting i sprayed them without a shirt on (kinda like frying bacon and letting the grease splatter). it did the trick though.

hb's suggestion seems to be the way to go.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 08-13-2006 at 06:24 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Actually Tony, I have had problems with flying pests burrowing into the side of adobe. It makes it much harder to remove them.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote