Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771
Default Re: Yellow Jackets

Hey Dom, this late in the summer, I wouldn't even mess with them unless they are somewhere that folks are gettin' stung. They never nest in the same place twice, just seal the hole this winter when they are all dead. Here's a piece from a website on yellow jackets,

"Although yellowjackets are considered quite beneficial to agriculture since they feed abundantly on harmful flies and caterpillars, it is their boldness (sometimes aggressiveness) and painful stinging ability that cause most concern. Nevertheless, unless the threat of stings and nest location present a hazard, it is often best to wait for Mother Nature, with freezing temperatures in late November and December, to kill off these annual colonies. Stinging workers do not survive the winter and the same nest is not reused."
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,775 Times in 3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhiteBasicBlue
Actually Tony, I have had problems with flying pests burrowing into the side of adobe. It makes it much harder to remove them.
hmmm. interresting. that makes sense though that if these critters can burrough into the earth, adobe or concrete would be no unsurmountable challenge for them.

come to think of it there are insects who build their own type of adobe type colonies. ants i think. good call.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Here is a link to a site that will sell you the can of the pesticide I was refering to (for more than half off what I paid I might add) in case you can't find a retailer in your area. I'd call to make sure they threw in the straw. The straw is exactly like the ones you's get for a WD40 bottle, just extra long so you can insert it further.

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/s...key=Whittridie

Thanks, this is what I'm going to do then.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Warrior
Hey Dom, this late in the summer, I wouldn't even mess with them unless they are somewhere that folks are gettin' stung. They never nest in the same place twice, just seal the hole this winter when they are all dead. Here's a piece from a website on yellow jackets,

"Although yellowjackets are considered quite beneficial to agriculture since they feed abundantly on harmful flies and caterpillars, it is their boldness (sometimes aggressiveness) and painful stinging ability that cause most concern. Nevertheless, unless the threat of stings and nest location present a hazard, it is often best to wait for Mother Nature, with freezing temperatures in late November and December, to kill off these annual colonies. Stinging workers do not survive the winter and the same nest is not reused."
Excellent point I should have brought up too. My colony was growing right above my front door. They hadn't attacked anyone, but I have friends who have potentially fatal allergies to stings. So we decided to drop the hammer on yellow jackets.

I did feel kinda guilty killing off their industrious little society.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
You mean the things that are behind/underneath the rain-gutters?

BuFu

Yes, that's called soffitt.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Warrior

Thanks SW, how have you been? Welcome to the board. Hope to see you at a game this year.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #17
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

[QUOTE=tony hipchest]what are eaves, and rafters and soffits!?!?!? im glad all uf us in the southwest live in teepees and adobe mud huts.
QUOTE]

I have been hiking through some slot canyons in the southwest (souther Utah, Northern Arizona mostly) and stumbled upon quite a few old Anaszi dwellings. I didn't realize they were still in use in New Mexico. Whats a mud hut with 3 bedrooms and A/C going for these days.

Maybe I should go back to one of those dwellings and weed it a couple times for a few years and then try to make an adverse possesion claim. Could be a cheap way to get a vacation property. If that worked then I could do some infomercials and sell seminars to share my method to obtain zero down properties.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Thanks SW, how have you been? Welcome to the board. Hope to see you at a game this year.
I've been fine, thanks for asking. Definitely see you at a game this year. Just remember those little yellow jackets are wearing Steelers colors.
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,775 Times in 3,683 Posts

[QUOTE=Hawk Believer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
what are eaves, and rafters and soffits!?!?!? im glad all uf us in the southwest live in teepees and adobe mud huts.
QUOTE]

I have been hiking through some slot canyons in the southwest (souther Utah, Northern Arizona mostly) and stumbled upon quite a few old Anaszi dwellings. I didn't realize they were still in use in New Mexico. Whats a mud hut with 3 bedrooms and A/C going for these days.

Maybe I should go back to one of those dwellings and weed it a couple times for a few years and then try to make an adverse possesion claim. Could be a cheap way to get a vacation property. If that worked then I could do some infomercials and sell seminars to share my method to obtain zero down properties.
whats an a/c ? we all use swamp coolers. i actually went up to santa fe last weekend and saw the oldest house in the u.s. (c. 1600's) had the perfect opportunity to go ozzy osbourne on it to see if my pee could melt the adobe but cooler heads prevailed.

i have driven through the region you mention on old route 666 (which has since recieved a different name.) moab is awesome. some parts of gallup look like a 3rd world nation). i still havent viseted some of the popular pueblos we have up north.

your squatting idea sounds like a good one!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #20
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Well Hawk, that stuff came Fed Ex today, sprayed it in tonight, so I'm saying a prayer that they are gone! I drilled little holes like every 3" and sprayed some in in each. You think that'll do it?