Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default 2011 Giants

These comparisons are going to be coming up all week, and there are some valid similarities to point out.

The Giants were 7-7 last year, losers of 5 of 6 to fall there. The Steelers are 7-7, losers of 4 of 5.

Both teams have franchise QBs from the 2004 draft class.

Both teams have won recent Super Bowls.

That might be where they end, though. That Giants team had 48 sacks and forced 31 turnovers. The Steelers are on pace for 31 sacks and 15 turnovers. For comparison, other recent six seeds to go the distance, the 2005 Steelers had 47 sacks and 30 turnovers, the 2010 Packers had 47 sacks and 32 turnovers. The 2012 Steelers are a small play defense.

That Giants team was 5-3 on the road, the Steelers are 3-5.

Also, the path for the Giants to get to the Super Bowl included a home game against a dome team (Atlanta), an impressive road win at Green Bay, and lucky road win against an offensively challenged San Francisco. In that huge Green Bay win, the Giants sacked Rodgers four times and forced four turnovers. Do you see this Steeler defense pulling off a performance like that?

Barring an upset or two of a top seed, the Steelers road to a Super Bowl will have to go through New England, Denver, and Houston. I just can't see this popgun defense and scattershot, inconsistent offense being enough to pull off three huge upsets. I'd happily eat my share of crow if they did, but I just don't think this team is built for a huge playoff run.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: 2011 Giants

But no one saw the Giants and their inconsistency being able to make a run to win the SB.

It is a low probability for the Steelers to win the SB but it is zero probability if they don't make the playoffs.

If I want to focus on all the negatives - I would be depressed. I CHOOSE to have hope that the Steelers can make a deep run.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,313 Times in 1,431 Posts
My Mood: Amused

If somehow we can get healthy when the playoffs start we have a very good chance, but if we go anywhere our defense has to step up and make plays.

I could see us beating the Texans, and only thing scares me about Denver is not being able to have Clark, Manning dont scare me in the playoffs & the only way we would beat the Pats is if we control the Clock like last years so we can keep Brady off the field but the way our offense looks i dont think its possible smh
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Don't you know, this team sucks and there is no positives?

Thank god Tomlin/the players don't act this cynical.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post

the problem is, they don't act like anything - lifeless.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
But no one saw the Giants and their inconsistency being able to make a run to win the SB.

It is a low probability for the Steelers to win the SB but it is zero probability if they don't make the playoffs.

If I want to focus on all the negatives - I would be depressed. I CHOOSE to have hope that the Steelers can make a deep run.
I choose to hope they can, too, but that doesn't mean you can ignore the facts.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post

The coach who said he didn't go for two against the Chargers because "it was bleak at that point"?

Did you see Belichick and Brady give up when they were down 31-3?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (12-17-2012), steelfury02 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
The coach who said he didn't go for two against the Chargers because "it was bleak at that point"?

Did you see Belichick and Brady give up when they were down 31-3?
As I said above - lifeless. How can the fans have any hope when they clearly have no emotion once they get down? Few of them have any heart left.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
These comparisons are going to be coming up all week, and there are some valid similarities to point out.

The Giants were 7-7 last year, losers of 5 of 6 to fall there. The Steelers are 7-7, losers of 4 of 5.

Both teams have franchise QBs from the 2004 draft class.

Both teams have won recent Super Bowls.

That might be where they end, though. That Giants team had 48 sacks and forced 31 turnovers. The Steelers are on pace for 31 sacks and 15 turnovers. For comparison, other recent six seeds to go the distance, the 2005 Steelers had 47 sacks and 30 turnovers, the 2010 Packers had 47 sacks and 32 turnovers. The 2012 Steelers are a small play defense.

That Giants team was 5-3 on the road, the Steelers are 3-5.

Also, the path for the Giants to get to the Super Bowl included a home game against a dome team (Atlanta), an impressive road win at Green Bay, and lucky road win against an offensively challenged San Francisco. In that huge Green Bay win, the Giants sacked Rodgers four times and forced four turnovers. Do you see this Steeler defense pulling off a performance like that?

Barring an upset or two of a top seed, the Steelers road to a Super Bowl will have to go through New England, Denver, and Houston. I just can't see this popgun defense and scattershot, inconsistent offense being enough to pull off three huge upsets. I'd happily eat my share of crow if they did, but I just don't think this team is built for a huge playoff run.
I agree with all of this. The Giants had the defense to force opposing QBs into mistakes. They had the defense to give their offense a short field. They had the defense to overcome offensive shortcomings.

The Steelers don't. Even with Ike in the secondary. Unless or until the front 7 can get pressure on the pocket the Steelers are unlikely to win a playoff game, let alone a Superbowl.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
As I said above - lifeless. How can the fans have any hope when they clearly have no emotion once they get down? Few of them have any heart left.
Did you see the team walk to the other end of the field at the end of the first quarter? Completely dead and emotionless. There was a sideline shot of the OL early in the game, too - dead, blank stares and no coaches in sight.