Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513
Default Re: Mike Tomlin up to the tall tasks ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I was referring to this year and last year. Yes last year we looked good on paper, but they didn't pass the eye test and didn't show up when it mattered most, as MANY on here have already stated before. Then we got kicked out of the playoffs by an 8-8 team with a college level QB. This year we've lost to the Browns, Titans, Raiders, and Chargers, and those are just the scrub teams. That's what I'm talking about. Look at how many of Cowher's players were in there prime in 2008 and still playing at a high level in 2010, now compare them to Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Ziggy Hood, Steve McClendon, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter, etc. That is what I'm talking about.
Do you want me to go back and take a look at the Cowher years? That may break your heart. The team's having issues this year and I think that injuries played a major role in it, but we should not read too much into it. And you my friend, need not try to put Bill Cowher and his losing azz on a pedestal. One SB in 15 freaking years, get off the pipe.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

I don't trust handing the keys over to Ben, we'll have 7 step drops and give 40+ sacks a year. I'm starting to think all the dumbass plays under BA was mostly Ben.

You know what would solve the Ben vs Haley thing. Hold on to the freakin ball. Do that we likely have another three wins and Ben has NOTHING to bitch about. These are two freakin grown men, ultimately it may be Tomlins responsibility, but he shouldn't have to solve this.

And I could not disagree more that the star holds all the cards. If that is how it is, that is what is wrong. No one should be bigger than the team. Allowing players to feel they are bigger than the team is exactly why you have discipline problems, which is a large percentage of what is happening now. Players play and coaches coach.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,432 Times in 4,019 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
I don't trust handing the keys over to Ben, we'll have 7 step drops and give 40+ sacks a year. I'm starting to think all the dumbass plays under BA was mostly Ben.
I'm no fan of Brucie, but you gotta admit that Andrew luck is also making lots of plays in the Arians offense.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
big pig
Water Boy

Member Number: 18703

Tomlin needs to go, but I don't know who ya replace him with, not sure there is anyone any better out there so what do ya do.
the one thing that you don't see with Tomlin is emotion, just kinda stands there with the dazed look on his face.

Cowher gave ya emotion, right or wrong. I don't know if nfl players need a rah rah coach and I know all cowhers years were'nt great either but he al least made it look like he was in the game, Tomlin just does'nt show me that. Never have been a fan of M T.
big pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Do you want me to go back and take a look at the Cowher years? That may break your heart. The team's having issues this year and I think that injuries played a major role in it, but we should not read too much into it. And you my friend, need not try to put Bill Cowher and his losing azz on a pedestal. One SB in 15 freaking years, get off the pipe.
Not going to break my heart. Cowher had bad QB's, by far the most important position in football. Once he got a real QB he went 15-1 then won the SB next year. Actually it makes me happy to remember how well he did with a real QB and thinking of the heart he brought to the field. I do agree injuries have definitely held us back, but where not the only injured team.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the standard is the standard, unleash hell, yeah whatever mike, i'll believe it when i see it
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,944 Times in 7,580 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Not going to break my heart. Cowher had bad QB's, by far the most important position in football. Once he got a real QB he went 15-1 then won the SB next year. Actually it makes me happy to remember how well he did with a real QB and thinking of the heart he brought to the field. I do agree injuries have definitely held us back, but where not the only injured team.
As someone asked in another thread: Did Cowher not want an elite QB?

He passed on Drew Brees, and he did not want BB (Dan Rooney had to convince Cowher to take BB... and even then, until Tommy Maddox got hurt, Cowher was NOT going to play him).

It's an interesting question/point. Maybe Cowher's mentality was: run, play great defense... and in the words of Jack Lambert: "Put the QBs in skirts."
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I'm no fan of Brucie, but you gotta admit that Andrew luck is also making lots of plays in the Arians offense.
Actually, not lately he isn't. The longer Arians has been in charge the worse Luck's numbers have become....look it up.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish

Seriously, what the fuck is up with you people? Tomlin is one of the winningest coaches in recent memory, and all you can do is bitch about him. He has his flaws, but so did Lombardi and Madden.

What's the beef? I want one logical answer to this question, but I probably won't.

Steelers, Heat, Caps, Nats, Kevin Harvick #4
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Joker For This Useful Post:
zcoop (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
A lot of bad ones, too, as evidenced by his position as the 31st rated starting QB in the league.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote