Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,707 Times in 884 Posts
Default Re: Return of running game a must for Steelers offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
dwyer = sucks
redman = can't stay healthy
rainey = too small
batch = not ready for primetime
mendenhall = jackass

running back is a must in the next draft
Gonna have to disagree with some of these. While Dwyer hasn't been good I wouldn't say he sucks either. He had back to back 100 yard games and this whole season our line has been completely screwed.

Unless I am remembering wrong Redman has been injured one time so again, I wouldn't conclude that he can't stay healthy. If he can, he is definitely our guy to be the feature back. He has proven he can do it in big games and (fairly) consistently breaks off 20+ runs.

Agree on Rainey. Absolutely no way he can be the feature back. I would almost argue he isn't needed at all if it weren't for his KR capability. He is too small to block on third down and he doesn't catch/perform any better than our other backs coming out of the backfield as a receiver.

Batch.....I have no idea about. He hasn't had many oppurtunities to show what he is capable of so I can't even begin to say. Obviously our coaches have an idea but I trust their opinions about as much as I trust Ben alone in a bathroom with my fiance.

Agree on Mendenhall as well. Though I will add for all of his physical capabilities he rarely if ever, performs at a level we should and do expect from him.

In my opinion there is no need at the position and there should be no controversy. There is one guy who stands out above the rest and should be the starter (unless as you say he can't stay healthy). Dwyer, Rainey and Batch are just fine as backups to him. I stand by the fact that it is a waste to look for a RB anytime soon when we have bigger needs.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Time to get out of the 70s. Use the pass to set up the run. Our strength is at QB and WR/TE. Go after Cincy and soften them up for the run.

God, it's gotten so easy to defend the Steelers anymore. Despite an average run blocking line and mediocre backs, they stick their jaw out like a neanderthal and beat their chest with "violent football".
This. Even the Bus can see this team can no longer play that way.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

The running game should just be to keep the defense honest. IMO. When you have a QB like Ben, you can play like NE does. Brady has never really had a great RB. He just uses his weapons and we have them too! We just need Ben to fall in line with Haley's offense. Use the TE's, not just Heath. That's just my opinion...
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
dwyer = sucks
redman = can't stay healthy
rainey = too small
batch = not ready for primetime
mendenhall = jackass

running back is a must in the next draft
Once I read "dwyer sucks" I knew the rest of the post wasn't worth reading.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Once I read "dwyer sucks" I knew the rest of the post wasn't worth reading.
Dwyer does not suck, but he is an average NFL back.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Time to get out of the 70s. Use the pass to set up the run. Our strength is at QB and WR/TE. Go after Cincy and soften them up for the run.

God, it's gotten so easy to defend the Steelers anymore. Despite an average run blocking line and mediocre backs, they stick their jaw out like a neanderthal and beat their chest with "violent football".
Isn't this Bruce Arians version 2.3.56? The result was 46 sacks per year....

Ben is at his best when they can roll him out of the pocket and use play-action, which involves using the run to setup the pass.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Isn't this Bruce Arians version 2.3.56? The result was 46 sacks per year....

Ben is at his best when they can roll him out of the pocket and use play-action, which involves using the run to setup the pass.
That is not how the Steelers are built anymore, nor is it how most NFL offenses operate. I know many of you desperately wish the NFL went back in time with offenses, but it's not happening. Want the QB to take fewer hits - get better o-line play. Not every throw by Brady and Manning is a quick pass. Their lines give them time.

Speaking of Brady and Manning, isn't it funny that those teams have better running games than the Steelers? Perhaps that should open up some eyes as to how far behind the 8-ball the Steelers are with modern NFL offenses. But no, gotta stick to tradition and do what granddaddy's team would do. (Which is funny, because eventually granddaddy realized TOP and defense wasn't enough - guess we have selective memory here.)
Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,500 Times in 10,345 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I sure would like to have AP.

Even people who despise the running game HAVE to agree with that statement.

[Side-note: Remember the last game of the 2006 season, that overtime victory over the Bengals. I cheered!!! In hindsight, if the Steelers had lost, they would have had a chance at drafting AP... (or, worst case: Willis or Revis). Anyway, I remember wanting AP... and thinking there's no shot... and he was there at 7, and I was praying for the Steelers to trade up. Alas. Likewise, I was hoping that they'd trade in front of the 49ers, to get Willis. Again, alas. Thankfully the Steelers got Revis... oh... uh...]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

I know that the power run, out of the I-Formation from the last decade, and 1990's is not in vogue any more, but I still believe in a balanced attack. I believe that an offense needs to run to set up the pass. Beginning with their first offensive possession, a team should come out, and establish the run. Once you are able to run the ball effectively against the opposing team, you are able to do anything. Once you establish the run, then you can begin to mix in the pass, and then begin to turn big plays down-field. If something goes wrong, you can always go back to the run, because you know that you can run effectively. It is important to keep a nice mix of run, and pass throughout the game. You don't want to lose sight of things, and abandon the run during a game just because you are throwing the ball well. You need to be consistent at mixing between the run, and the pass. Passing, moves the ball down-field, putting more points on the board. Running, controls the clock, keeps the opposing offense off the field longer, and wears down the opposing defense. The pass, and the run work hand-in-hand. It is the way football was meant to be played.

I think the days of the wide-open Spread Offense are coming to a close. Teams are going back to the run, more.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
I know that the power run, out of the I-Formation from the last decade, and 1990's is not in vogue any more, but I still believe in a balanced attack. I believe that an offense needs to run to set up the pass. Beginning with their first offensive possession, a team should come out, and establish the run. Once you are able to run the ball effectively against the opposing team, you are able to do anything. Once you establish the run, then you can begin to mix in the pass, and then begin to turn big plays down-field. If something goes wrong, you can always go back to the run, because you know that you can run effectively. It is important to keep a nice mix of run, and pass throughout the game. You don't want to lose sight of things, and abandon the run during a game just because you are throwing the ball well. You need to be consistent at mixing between the run, and the pass. Passing, moves the ball down-field, putting more points on the board. Running, controls the clock, keeps the opposing offense off the field longer, and wears down the opposing defense. The pass, and the run work hand-in-hand. It is the way football was meant to be played.
Well, you can believe that all you want, but understand:

1.) The Steelers try that and aren't good at it.

2.) Plenty of other teams run the ball much better than the Steelers, including finesse teams like the Patriots and Broncos. Today's NFL is all about the quick strike, not TOP. Those teams put up points early, mix in the run to keep defenses off balance, then grind out the clock when they've already won the game. Stubbornly trying to pound it in the middle (like the Steelers do), will just put you in 2nd & long and 3rd & long situations all game.