Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #91
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
haha, well my buddies happen to be Dolphin and Eagles fans so...take that for what it's worth. I am not sure what people are referring to when talking about our secondary being good. Every one of our serviceable defensive backs predates Tomlin. We get torched any time we play a team that can pass the ball. In those games we get no pass rush because we are trying to mask our secondary deficiencies and then people on here complain about our lack of pass rush. It might look on paper like we have a good pass D but that is misleading. The cupboard is bare as far as talent goes. With Troy, Ike and Clark all approaching that age where we let them go instead of offering them a final contract (maybe should have happened already) we have nobody to step into their roles. Which is sad because none of them are world beaters themselves any longer.

This offseason it is imperative to draft a cornerstone corner back. I mean a la Woodson or Chad Scott (I truly believe absent his knee injuries he could have been real good). The problem I see is that it shouldn't take a first rounder if you have anyone at the helm who can identify and develop DBs. In my opinion Tomlin should be able to find hidden gems and get them to first round production. His failure to do so in all these years is telling.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more my friend. The secondary seems to be in really good shape going forward from what I can see. Especially at cb. We have Lewis and Allen who have already proven to be solid starting cbs in this league and they should only get better. Then you have Curtis Brown who has shown signs lately that he will be solid as well. thats 3 promising cbs with Lewis being the eldest at 26. I don't think that cb is a position of need come draft time.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #92
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,557 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
Wow, I couldn't disagree more my friend. The secondary seems to be in really good shape going forward from what I can see. Especially at cb. We have Lewis and Allen who have already proven to be solid starting cbs in this league and they should only get better. Then you have Curtis Brown who has shown signs lately that he will be solid as well. thats 3 promising cbs with Lewis being the eldest at 26. I don't think that cb is a position of need come draft time.
our secondary looks pretty good at this point. It is the least of our worries.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #93
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
our secondary looks pretty good at this point. It is the least of our worries.
Yes, I'm already looking forward to seeing how good this defense can be next year with a healthy Troy P. Injuries ravaged us on both sides of the ball, the difference is that guys on the defensive side stepped up while the guys on offense couldn't pick up the slack.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #94
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
that's cool. Looking at our schedule we really didn't face top QB or passing teams this season. The two times (Manning and Romo) were both losses and the opposing QB had great games. I hope you are right. I do see improvement over William Gay but that is not saying much.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #95
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,557 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
that's cool. Looking at our schedule we really didn't face top QB or passing teams this season. The two times (Manning and Romo) were both losses and the opposing QB had great games. I hope you are right. I do see improvement over William Gay but that is not saying much.
Who were the cb's against Dallas? Does anybody even remember their names?

For having a team that was lacking pressure against the QB, this secondary did a great job this year. I know we all want to see how we stack up against the great QB's, but it's not like our opponents were using High School QB's.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #96
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,753 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
It is just one bad season and a true fan sticks with his team no matter what.
Well you quoted me so I will answer for myself. At what point did you get the impression I wasn't sticking with the team? If I wasn't sticking with the team I wouldn't care that we have had one of worst seasons I have ever watched and I wouldn't care who was coaching and what decisions they made.

Anyway, I am with the team. I am not with the coach who is dragging our team down.

Quote:
Firing Tomlin would be horrible and not the Steeler way. He is going to make some changes to make sure next year is successful. Lets not forget this guy has taken us to 2 super bowls and the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years. This will be his first non-winning season. Him and the team will come back stronger than ever.
Look, I am all for loyalty and love that our team stays so consistent. The problem here, is that there are VERY clear decisions that all fall on Tomlins head that were terrible and you can see our teams progression.

Superbowl, first round of the playoffs, not even in the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is getting to a time when the original team he inherited is not going to be there anymore and it is starting to truly become the team he is building. I don't like what I am seeing.

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #97
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
Well you quoted me so I will answer for myself. At what point did you get the impression I wasn't sticking with the team? If I wasn't sticking with the team I wouldn't care that we have had one of worst seasons I have ever watched and I wouldn't care who was coaching and what decisions they made.

Anyway, I am with the team. I am not with the coach who is dragging our team down.

Look, I am all for loyalty and love that our team stays so consistent. The problem here, is that there are VERY clear decisions that all fall on Tomlins head that were terrible and you can see our teams progression.

Superbowl, first round of the playoffs, not even in the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is getting to a time when the original team he inherited is not going to be there anymore and it is starting to truly become the team he is building. I don't like what I am seeing.

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.
So which is it? Do you think that the team is talented, or do you not like the way that Tomlin and the FO are rebuilding the team? You sound silly.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #98
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,753 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
So which is it? Do you think that the team is talented, or do you not like the way that Tomlin and the FO are rebuilding the team? You sound silly.
I worded it poorly. Yes, the team is very talented. There is not 1 position on the team I am overly concerned with.

I am however, concerned with a lot of Tomlins coaching decisions and there are some roster moves they made I still shake my head about.

So again, I say we give him 1 more year to turn it around and if he doesn't he should go.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #99
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I worded it poorly. Yes, the team is very talented. There is not 1 position on the team I am overly concerned with.

I am however, concerned with a lot of Tomlins coaching decisions and there are some roster moves they made I still shake my head about.

So again, I say we give him 1 more year to turn it around and if he doesn't he should go.
So who are you thinking about replacing Tomlin with? Why wouldn't you be concerned about the precedent that that would set? I mean if you fire Tomlin after 7 seasons and 2 SB appearances, then how short will the leash be for the guy who replaces him. Does he get 2-3 years to lead the team to a SB before you replace him too? I just don't understand the lack of respect that fans here have for Tomlin and the overall job that he's done since replacing Cowher. Tomlin just had the team in the SB the season before last, yet some of you are saying he's on his last chance? Doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #100
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland2110 View Post
After trying to move the ball with 44 seconds left. I want Tomlin out of here now. This season is 100% on coaching. Anybody who cant see that has blinders on.
of course you try to move the ball with 44 seconds and a timeout left. You only need 2 or 3 plays to get into a game winning FG situation to end the game. Leaving it up to OT is basically flipping a coin as to who's going to win.
Thinking that your star QB is going to float one over a wide open guy for an easy pick is ridiculous.
You have the ball. You control the game. Any team in the league goes for the win there.
That loss is on Ben. The D was great. The game was there for the taking. And our franchise, elite QB not only didn't get it done. He gave it away to the other team who couldn't move the ball any better than we could all day long.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote