Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #61
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
In his post-game press conference, when Tomlin was asked about the Todd Haley offense, and why it devolved as the season progressed, he stated that it "...wasn't effective enough for us to win."
He, then, went on to say that "We gotta coach, and play better than we did."
You can read into it what you want, but it sounds like Todd Haley might be the one that gets the axe, after this season. If Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, and some of the other players don't want Haley, he's gone.
Tomlin deserves the Axe. It's not only the offense that has sucked, its been everything and coaching is a major part of the blame.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #62
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

I believe with all my heart that Mike is a good guy, and would probably be a good contributor to the steeler coaching staff; just not as HC. He claims he understands the steeler fans, but I don't really think he really knows just how important the steelers are to their fans. I'm not even living in the city, or the state of Pa, but I ache after every loss, and rejoice after every win.

When he sits there at the press confs., and gives some lame speech about "the men", ect, ect; I just want to scream. He needs to get on camera and rake players, and/or coaches over the coals. This "we'll get 'em next year" crap aint cuttin' it. We are a franchise that deems anything less than a serious run at the SB as a failure of a season.

How can Belicheck take new players year in and year out and mold them into a real good team? because failure is unacceptable. I have nothing against Tomlin as a person, but there have been some very good assistant coaches who couldn't suceed as HC, and I think Mike might be one. For the guys who talk about him guiding us to 2 SB's; he had a SB team already assembled around him, and it's gone down hill ever since.Why? We're too soft!

The NFL channel has been running episodes of the steeler teams of the 70's all day yesterday, and those guys would tear your head off to get to the top. There was a fire burning deep inside then. I think the flame is but a flicker now, and this makes at least 2 years of it in a row. The HC isn't making it happen on the field or in the locker room. I love my steelers but right now I'm ashamed.

I love Troy for all he's done for us; what a gifted player he has been, but his body is done; he can't play the game anymore, and he's not the only one. We are injured all the time, and our staff obviously isn't good enough to prepare, or replace our reserves. I'm done now, and unfortunately; so are the steelers this year.
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCurtainCall For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #63
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

Fire Haley, get Norv or Wiz

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #64
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Tomlin has made bad calls and I question his toughness (other than Mendy). But his offense put the ball in the opponents hands way too many times. If we aren't -14 or something in turnovers, we have at least three more wins.

Complain about Tomlin all you want, but he has done nothing to deserve to be fired.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #65
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I don't mind Haley, the O sure looked good early this year but yeah if you can get these guys it would be great.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #66
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
He wasn't hard on the running backs, (plural), he was hark on the running back, (singular), the one who is the best chance of the running game doing any good. I have no problem with either Dwyer or Redman behind a FB in short yardage situations, but in situations where you need at least four yards and could use a breakaway Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster for that. Tomlin has to know that, and if he doesn't he has no business coaching, and if he does he has no business coaching.
No, he was definitely hard on all of the backs. Earlier in the season Dwyer had a fumble and Tomlin called him out in front of the team in the film room and Dwyer ended up inactive for a week or 2. Then you get to the Browns game where every back got 1 mistake before they were benched.

I think how he handled Mendenhall was fine for a multitude of reasons. In fact, that was one of the few things he actually got right this year. And frankly, you are wrong about Mendenhall.

He is physically more gifted than any of the other backs, but it amounts to very little the way he has been running. Today was the first time in a long time I can remember him running hard. He has very little toughness (which our team is built on) and pretty poor ball handeling at times when it counts. He isn't a great blocker and has a bad attitude as seen in not showing up for the team in San Diego.

As for not being able to bounce outside or get the big runs....

Last year Mendenhall had 3 carries of 20 or more on 228 carries.

This year Dwyer had 3 carries of 20 or more on 121 carries and his career long is 76 yards. So he can break the big ones. And in case you didn't watch todays game, he had the speed to take outside for 10 or more yards.

Last year Redman had 3 carries of 20 or more on 110 carries and this year he had 3 of 20 or more on 101 carries. And in case you missed last week, he bounced one outside for 22 yards.

So all things considered, there really isn't even an argument to be made for Mendenhall at this point.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #67
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Oh, i get it, it was Tomlin that threw the pick at the end of this game, and the pick at the end of last game, and thst threw the pick at the end of the Denver game, AND he fumbled 5 times against the Browns and sacked Ben for a freak injury . . . He also didnt step up as a team leader when Ward and Farior left. This season is the entire teams fault, all of them, especially the people who should be stepping as real leaders to fill the voids. You are all pathetic with some of the things your saying.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #68
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

Big Ben is the main reason this team lost the past two games; he doesn't like Todd Haley, his play on the field pretty much indicates that as well. Another thing is this, Big Ben extends the play too much; he extends the play when the play doesn't even have to be. He doesn't play the position like the average QB, this season has came back to bite him in the A$$.

However, I have to agree, Tomlin has made some idiotic coaching decisions this season. Sometimes I wonder W.T.F. is he thinking? General Coaching Philosophy 101, he needs to take his A$$ back to school and take the course again, and again, and again! His players are too undisciplined; Rashard Mendenhall has no respect for him. If they resign him, dumb move by the Front Office, period. I'm sure Mr. Rooney has plenty of notes to talk to Tomlin after the season. And I'm so sick and tired of this idiot saying "I went with the play, I had a gutt feeling." W.T.F? Are you kidding me? Gut Feeling? No! Use some simple logic when making those decisions.

No, Tomlin will not be fired, because of his resume he has earned himself a couple more seasons. However, he better be aware of these things going into 2013; and another thing, I'm sick of seeing his happy go face attitude on the sideline, then when the team loses he goes N2 the press conferences as though he is upset. Are you kidding me?

I will say this though, injuries has plagued this team all year long. Strength & Conditioning Coaches? Where the Hell Are You? Pack your bags and hit the road. I'm not going to even lie, I was hoping this team missed the playoffs, they need some quality picks in the draft. This team isn't as good as they continue to think they are. Hopefully they will blow it again next week so they can pick near the top 10.

And the GM? Can you please select some quality players rounds 3-5 that can possibly make the team and provide some support? Ok, I'm done venting.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel95 For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #69
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,269 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Ben doesn't like Whiz either...
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #70
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Ben doesn't like Whiz either...
And Whiz probably wouldn't want to work under Tomlin.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote